Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is the Z the best sports car for around $30k?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 03:36 PM
drivenCSZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes the z is the best sports car in your price range.

It is the full package. And not sure what the new stang GT's are running but the Z is definitly faster than the RX and the S2k. IT has everything, looks, power, handling, decent room and comfort for a 2 seater, and almost 40 years of heritage. Ive had mine for over 4 years now and to this day there isnt another car on the road(in the same price range) that id rather have.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Cabinetman

Originally Posted by shanki456
to me, a sports car needs leather seats, but thats just me.
While I like leather i don't need it enough to pay for the touring package. My daily driver and the wife's car have leather so I'm good to go if I want to feel cow on my rear.

Kevin
Old 03-27-2007, 04:09 PM
Scrivner

I spent a year deciding what car I wanted (basically same choices as yours). I didn't want the S2K because I didn't want a convertible and it's too cramped. I decided I didn't like the looks of the RX-8. So that left the Mustang and Z.

I like the looks of both the Mustang and the Z, but the Z just seems like it's a little classier of a car than the Mustang. My impressions are that most people don't consider the Mustang to be a "real" sports car, while the they *do* consider the Z to be so. Besides - everyone and their dog has a Mustang. And what really closed the deal is that my wife who didn't know I was considering the Z saw one on the road one day and said "Ooooohhhh... what kind of car is that?!" (She doesn't pay much attention to cars).

So mostly superficial reasons influenced my pick. But I'm glad I got it. Even though it's a two seater, it feels roomy. There's plenty of legroom and you don't feel cramped at all. The ride is a little stiff but in my opinion it's not bad at all. But c'mon - it's a sports car, not a family trip car! It also get's pretty good gas mileage for a sports car.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 PM
HighwaySpeed

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
Is the Z the best sports car for around $30k?
I think that the answer on a 350Z forum might be yes.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:44 PM
joe_blow_xbox

While I like leather i don't need it enough to pay for the touring package. My daily driver and the wife's car have leather so I'm good to go if I want to feel cow on my rear.

Kevin
Get an enthusiast Z, and take it to a shop to get leather seats. It shouldn't cost too much as it is a two-seater. I checked at a local Classic Soft Trim and leather seats were about $650-$700 installed. Nissan dealerships use them. http://www.classicsofttrim.com/. Of course there are other places too.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Ztalker

same here, i usually don't keep a car for more than a year. But the Z is different, i've had it since early 03. The last new car(06 mazda3) i owned only lasted 3 months before i sold it and the last two before that was also one year. My black 00 jetta lasted two years before i traded it.
All B.S. aside, i still look forward to drive my Z every morning after all these years. i don't know about you guys, but when i turn around and look at my Z at the parking lot, i say to myself: "dayum, that's a great looking car."
Old 03-27-2007, 06:40 PM
bogie1519

Default yes it is

if the question best for under 30k is right then i say the z is over all
the best bang for your buck. all sports cars have their share of trouble
i had a 97 vette before i came over to the z and belive me they have their
share of problems also, just go to a vette forum and u will see.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:44 PM
annahandres

Originally Posted by Ztalker
when i turn around and look at my Z at the parking lot, i say to myself: "dayum, that's a great looking car."

+1, I smile every time I see one. They are always smiling back at you saying 'Oh, I know."
Old 03-27-2007, 07:00 PM
zMOSESz

In my price range I can get the 350z Enthusiast, RX-8, Honda S2k and Mustang GT.
I've Driven 3 of these.

Nissan 350Z - I own* Just a beautiful machine. Good stock power and handeling. Got to love the twisties. Tons of potential if you are ever looking to mod. Out of the choices looks the best IMO. of course

Mazda RX-8 - Picked up a speeding ticket on a test drive in this. The RX-8 generation rotary compared to the RX-7 Gen is a laughable comparison. RX-7 kills. Handeling was decent.

Honda S2K - Never Driven. Also not a fan of convertables. other than that cant really say much other than its amazing HP per Liter.

Ford Mustang GT - Drive these daily. Work at a Ford Dealership. 1st and major downfall its a domestic car. Postitves- Stock HP and Tourqe will eat some pavement. Fun to drive for if your going staright but if you take it through the turns it gets scary.

Nissan 350Z FTW!!! like i would pick one of the others.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:07 PM
tomiegunzz

What about the G35? With the new G37 coming out in August of 07 you can deff find a G35 for around that price range. Plus the G will give you the same power and sound as the Z but with a more luxurious side to it.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:33 PM
InSaNeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on my second Z, and I never had any rattles.

The Z is a fun car to drive, stock exhaust note sounds nice, very mod friendly with lots of aftermarket support, and it has nice curves.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:57 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Is the Z the best sports car for around $30k?"

"350z and s2k 2 Seaters". So they qualify as "sports cars."

"Mustang and rx-8 4 seats" And they don't.

bill
Old 03-28-2007, 04:18 AM
DROPPEDIT2WCE
Banned

Mustangs - crap unless it's a Mach with the DOHC motor!! GT is slowwwww
RX-8 - is a rice rocket, N/A rotory?? Mazda wake up!
350z - pretty good looking overall pretty good performance
S2000 - fun to drive, power in high RPM's makes it seem sportier than it is.

You would not be disappointed by the GTO, it's base is the Vauxhall Monaro and features an LS2. plenty of power with simple mods. 11's with a 100 shot, plenty of handling upgrades are available as well.

for a weekend warrior around $40,000 If could do it again I would go with a Lotus elise or a used M3 with SMG package. A little more $$ for a little more performance.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:20 AM
JonsilvZ

The 350Z is a balanced sports car for the $. RX8 not quick enough but handles very good. Stang not a sports car. So its no brainer for under $30k the 350z is a winner.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:34 AM
PrinceFemi

The styling of the Z is top notch. I have heard many criticism of the Z from owners of its competitors but its looks is not one of them. The look will remain fresh for many years to come.

In the performance department, the Z will always put a smile on your face. It is not the fastest car out there but it sure as hell feel like it. The low end torque makes it feel like its haulling tremendous ***. The exhaust note is remarkable, the shifter although a little notchy is a pleaure to row through the gates (the notchiness adds character in my opinion).

I narrowed my choices down to 3 cars. The Cayman, RX8 and the Z. I chose the Z over the Cayman because it felt more exiting to drive than the Cayman and I just couldnt see what I would be paying 55k for. A good driver could smoke the Cayman any day, any time. (dont get it confused with the Cayman S).

I selected the Z over the RX8 because I did not like the fact that I had to wring its neck and rev the crap out of the car to get any performance out of it. if you werent thrashing it, it had no more performance than a 1988 honda civic, and really who drives like that all the time around time. It also drinks gas.

Any of the Z's 2002-2007 are plenty fast enough and will keep you interested. I have owned my car for a year now ('06 Touring) and everytime I drive it, I push it a little farther to its limits or should I say to my limits, becasue I doubt that I will ever be able to extract all of its performance potential without formal training. Many of us on this forum never will, and it just makes me laugh when people waste money for more power. Half of us cant even put to full use half of the power/performance the car comes with stock. I am sorry, I digressed a little.

My dashboard rattles like crazy. Alot of people here have complained about this issue so I am not the only one. The fit and finish on the dash is sub-par. I dont think the materials are too bad I just think the they arent put together well. On the rattle issue, it really is dependent on how lucky you are. You may get one that doesnt rattle and then you may buy one that does and then you will find yourself playing the "chase the rattle game".

The leather on my seats have held up pretty well, and as a matter of fact my car still smells like the day I bought it. I would give the leather on the seats a very high mark for quality.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:38 AM
PrinceFemi

O yeah, I did drive the mustang before I bought my car and I imediately took it off of the list of cars I might purchase. Although fast, I felt like I was driving a big *** boat.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:46 AM
gothchick

I'm a little surprised no one mentioned the STi, or the EVO...

Originally Posted by tomiegunzz
What about the G35? With the new G37 coming out in August of 07 you can deff find a G35 for around that price range. Plus the G will give you the same power and sound as the Z but with a more luxurious side to it.
G's are sleds. Almost as fast as a Z in a straight line, but spongy & loose in the corners. Don't even try tracking a G or canyon carving without suspension mods.

Last edited by gothchick; 03-28-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Wangatang

GTO for me. I like my Z, but i wish I got a GTO instead.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Jaegermeister2k

Originally Posted by Wangatang
GTO for me. I like my Z, but i wish I got a GTO instead.
Yeah like i said before. The GTO is a very nice car, and not your typical chevy interior. I'm tempted to get rid of the z for a GTO, but i enjoy the Z alot.

And to the person who mentioned weight and handling. Like i said before. How many people actually road race their uberhandling 350z's? Not too many. If you want a comfortable cruiser that has nice looks, awesome power, cheap ish mods, at least try the GTO. You may be surprised. Test rides are usually free.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:01 PM
joe_blow_xbox

Originally Posted by Jaegermeister2k
Yeah like i said before. The GTO is a very nice car, and not your typical chevy interior. I'm tempted to get rid of the z for a GTO, but i enjoy the Z alot.

And to the person who mentioned weight and handling. Like i said before. How many people actually road race their uberhandling 350z's? Not too many. If you want a comfortable cruiser that has nice looks, awesome power, cheap ish mods, at least try the GTO. You may be surprised. Test rides are usually free.
If you are so enamored with the GTO, I can't believe you wouldn't wait for the G8.

Quick Reply: Is the Z the best sports car for around $30k?