Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is the Z the best sports car for around $30k?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 06:25 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bailey bill
Coould yu tell us who are the knowledgeable sources that you "heard" that from?

bill
The Master Tech (Rob) at the Nissan Dealership on Cobb Pkwy, Marietta, GA said that's the pattern he's been seeing for the Z's.

Last edited by gothchick; 03-30-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:36 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kayfuNk
DO ELIMINATE THE RSX, if you dontl ike the s2k, you'll HATE the RSX, it's slow in all ends, low and top
The rsx will still be faster. It's a Ferrari killer. Plus it's immune to door dings & scatches and can even run on diesel fuel when you're in a pinch. Fwd/k20 ftw~
Old 03-30-2007, 07:57 AM
S8ER95Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In defense of the RSX the 360 Modena isn't all that fast... I did hear it is a direct tie against the 430 Modena though. I even heard God created the RSX on the 4th day.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:44 AM
SergEK

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
I have finally reached the point in my life that i can have a sports car without using it as my daily driver. The only downside is that my budget will only allow me to spend around $30k so the Cayman S and Audi RS4 are out. I haven't owned a sports car since college so to keep things from getting too overwhelming I plan to stick with new cars.

In my price range I can get the 350z Enthusiast, RX-8, Honda S2k and Mustang GT. I pretty much ruled out the S2k because my dad had a '06 that I got to drive a bit and I really didn't like the lack of low end punch from the motor. Also, i don't care for convertibles. I test drove the Z yesterday and was impressed with the punch, however I didn't really get enough wheel time to get a good overall impression of the car.

On paper the Z seems like the best car, but I was wondering what pushed you to buy the Z over other options out there. Also, how does the Z hold up over the long haul? I get really bothered by interior rattles and seat fabric that wears too quickly. Finally, after a few months of ownership does the Z still smile at you? I have a hard time keeping a car for more than a year (I turn 32 in April and have had 22 cars not including my wife's rides) so I am trying to make sure I buy something that will still be fresh in 6 months.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

Kevin
If we are talking 07 numbers than the Z will beat or hang with a stock GT for sure so the Z has the speed and handling your looking for

The S2000 is small, the RX8 handles great but thats about it --- the Mustang --- bleh, not even considered when I was looking

The Z had the most room, was very comfortable, looks HOT, priced right and has plenty of power and BRAKES to spare

Few cars have made me smile but my Z has a great mix of abilities for a street car --- I would not buy one to build a track monster ---- thats what the Elise is for ---- but for an everyday drive that can be modded and get your heart pumping the Z is definetly the car of choice IMO and so I bought one

I have gotten several comments from all kinds of people of how nice the car is and how great it looks.

Obviously if money was no object things may be different but for the money the Z offers ALOT for your money
Old 03-30-2007, 12:05 PM
05Aucrarsx
Banned

rsx
Old 03-30-2007, 01:04 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by gothchick
G's are sleds. Almost as fast as a Z in a straight line, but spongy & loose in the corners. Don't even try tracking a G or canyon carving without suspension mods.

Your "Ex Boyfriend" must have done something really bad to you, since you happen to have so much hate, or atleast negative comments toward the G.

As a matter of fact, I track my G very frequently.

If you really want me to, I can show you proof of how a G35 6MT (or sport with sport suspension package) handles as good as a Z. Not better, but not worse by any significant difference.

You just never give up.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:45 PM
keosh

Dont get the mustang GT for sure not a great car in my opinion and you wouldnt like the rx-8 either cuz it has that low end punch like the s2k but other then that its a very nice car. Also dont leave out the Evo im sure you can get a evo for under 30 or maybe a lil more but thats a great car and you will love!! the punch on it hehe. But what got me to buy the Z is the looks and ofcourse the speed you get for you bucks. Interior i havent had to much trouble with very lil ratteling for me but what i did is remove the bottom plastic pieces under the steering wheel and passenger side one to and almost no ratteling ever also the seat do die quick my leather ones im estimating will fall apart: on the bottom left side of the driver side in couple months. But other then that the Z is a great car and will last you along time as long as you take care of it and it will always keep that smile you are talking about. ( :
Old 03-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Cheezwiz

Originally Posted by DROPPEDIT2WCE
Mustangs - crap unless it's a Mach with the DOHC motor!! GT is slowwwww
Where have you been? Mach hasn't been producded since '05. And the DOHC motor in a Mustang as well. It's a SOHC with 3 valve per cylinder.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Cheezwiz

Originally Posted by gothchick
I'm a little surprised no one mentioned the STi, or the EVO...
Because we're talking about sports cars :P
Old 03-30-2007, 03:48 PM
microd

I thought the Z was the best value in the $30K range... which is why I got one.

I dunno... I just like the Datsun/Nissan Z's. Been a fan of 'em ever since they came out... so... yah. I'm biased. pretty much.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:02 PM
The Z Guy

crap......... go with the z, its worth it.

Last edited by The Z Guy; 03-30-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:03 PM
DJShan209

Rsx Ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 04:09 PM
The Z Guy

try the saturn sky turbo, the price range is about the same.... and plus no one i knows have this yet......
Old 03-31-2007, 12:56 AM
chopstick

after 4 years, i still smile everytime i look at my Z
Old 03-31-2007, 03:44 AM
schwank

I had My Z about a year, I loved it, I thought it was probably the best car to get in its price range. The forums here are great, lots of posts, and good people (if thats important to you). Id buy another Z if I was looking in that price range. Id look at a used one if I wasnt waiting for the major overhaul in 08, by now the 03 problems have probably been addressed while they were under warranty and you can pick up a nice one for under 20k.

I happened to run into the chance to buy my "dream car" and thats the only reason I dont still have a 350z. I got to take the Z to a driving school 2 weeks before I traded her in and I was really impressed with how it did (Granted it was my first driving school, but the only car I couldnt hang with had track tires, and was a modded STI. keep in mind we were all in the same newbie class though)

Good luck
Old 03-31-2007, 04:34 AM
Cabinetman

Thanks for all the feedback.

After driving most of the cars in my price range (except the Mustang because I just don't care for the styling) I have narrowed the choice down to the Z and the BMW 335i coupe. The Bimmer is alot more money, but with a lease my payments won't be much more than the Zs if i put down about $4k. The biggest downside to the Bimmer is lack of inventory so I would almost have to order one to get a stick with the sport package. I will make my final choice is two or three weeks after i get my bonus.

Kevin
Old 03-31-2007, 05:51 AM
tomiegunzz

Originally Posted by The Z Guy
try the saturn sky turbo, the price range is about the same.... and plus no one i knows have this yet......
. Ive seen this carin person. Dont waste your money on this POS. Oh yea thanks for the pics of your spoiler. Was it a replica cause i dont see a brake light in it.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Cabinetman

Today I found my car.

My wife and I went out this morning and test drove a BMW 335i, Z and a G35 6MT. After the dust settled the BMW was the clear winner for me. Their twin turbo I6 pulls like a freight train from any speed and the chassis of the sport package car I drove was so very solid. From the steering to brakes everything just spoke to me. The only downside is that I am going to have to order the car to get what I want. 6 speed 335s are not very common. I will be putting down my deposit soon and begin the wait.

Thanks for all the feedback you provided. The Z is a fantastic car that I would be happy driving. I just decided to stretch my budget and the car that best fits me.

Kevin
Old 03-31-2007, 01:13 PM
TurboTrey

You want a sports car so you are going to lease a BMW 335i with $4k down? Sorry, I thought you were going to be paying cash for the car and wanted something for a long haul.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:42 PM
schwank

Heh, I traded my Z in on an M coupe... I hear they have great rates on the M roadsters right now...

Quick Reply: Is the Z the best sports car for around $30k?