Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is the Z the best sports car for around $30k?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Cabinetman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Z the best sports car for around $30k?

I have finally reached the point in my life that i can have a sports car without using it as my daily driver. The only downside is that my budget will only allow me to spend around $30k so the Cayman S and Audi RS4 are out. I haven't owned a sports car since college so to keep things from getting too overwhelming I plan to stick with new cars.

In my price range I can get the 350z Enthusiast, RX-8, Honda S2k and Mustang GT. I pretty much ruled out the S2k because my dad had a '06 that I got to drive a bit and I really didn't like the lack of low end punch from the motor. Also, i don't care for convertibles. I test drove the Z yesterday and was impressed with the punch, however I didn't really get enough wheel time to get a good overall impression of the car.

On paper the Z seems like the best car, but I was wondering what pushed you to buy the Z over other options out there. Also, how does the Z hold up over the long haul? I get really bothered by interior rattles and seat fabric that wears too quickly. Finally, after a few months of ownership does the Z still smile at you? I have a hard time keeping a car for more than a year (I turn 32 in April and have had 22 cars not including my wife's rides) so I am trying to make sure I buy something that will still be fresh in 6 months.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share.

Kevin
Old 03-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Elohite

Dont eliminate the RSX (Make sure it has a Type-S Badge)

"In my price range I can get the 350z Enthusiast, RX-8, Honda S2k and Mustang GT."

All have ups and downs.

350z and s2k 2 Seaters.

Mustang and rx-8 4 seats

IMO: if you like speed, mustang
Tracking and twisties : rx-8, s2k, z
looks: z

z wins 2/3
Old 03-27-2007, 12:20 PM
skaterbasist

What else are you going to expect from a 350z Enthusiast forum?

Might be a better question this question is an forum without biased opinions.

But yes, under 30k, I definately do belive it ranks in the top 2.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:25 PM
aren21

All the cars you mentioned have similar handling and performance, but some are better(or much better) than the others. The GT has good old V-8 torque, S2k handles great, but like you said, has no low end power. I dont know about the rx-8, I never really looked into it. The Z has a nice mix of power/handling. Its not the fastest car in its price range, and its not the best handling car either. But its pretty damn good at doing everything. Oh and the obvious....the looks!! You should go drive them all and see which one you like. As for rattles, I have 19k miles on mine and it has a few rattles. But I think any car with a stiff suspension will eventually get some interior rattles.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:27 PM
stein

I've had many cars too and yes the z keeps smiling at you after the long haul. It's not the fastest car on the road but I am happy with it's quickness and it's ability. I still get complements on the looks and I'm all stock, well I have tint and an intake.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Jaegermeister2k

What about the GTO? Very nice interior, 400 horsepower, very modable.

Alot of people always say. "Yeah the 350z may not be faster in a straight line, but in the twisties it will take your car." And that's all good, but most people don't even do any road racing. Alot of people just like to have the power underneath their butts when they need it on the street.

That being said. I simply love the 350z. The car is so much fun to drive that you'll have a smile on your face every time you're required to drive outside of the norm. It almost feels like a car with rear wheel steering simply because of the way it let's you control it.
The ride is a little rough at times, but i'm used to that. I have heard of people complaining, but it's a very small number of people. I drive it to work and back for at least 50 miles a day in rush hour traffic, and never get tired of the car.
I have however thought about selling the Z, but looking at it changes my mind every time. Plus people love it. It's a really great car all around.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:41 PM
03BrickyardZ

I test drove and liked all of those cars...

That being said, the balance of the Z is what drove me onto the 350Z bandwagon. I just couldn't get that into the look of the mustang, and I was also concerned with reliability...

The RX-8 I ruled out because of the rotary. As much as I like the concept of the wenkel, the RX-8 feels underpowered. Plus, the car guzzles gas (around 19 is the best you can hope for on the highway) and it consumes oil (the owners manual recommends checking oil every 500 miles, adding as needed.)

It was a tough decision for me between the S2000 and 350Z. What I loved about the Z was the look, and the great low end torque. But I dont think I would have been unhappy in the s2000 either.

The Z had a good balance, good low end torque, excellent handling, great looks, and a decent interior.

The downsides:

1) no back seat. I thought, well, I almost never have more than myself in the car. But when you need it, you'll miss it.

2) Slightly uncomfortable on longer rides. The Z is sprung pretty stiffly, and tends to start rattling teeth after a while.

3) If you get the enthusiast, you'll have a cloth interior. If this isn't a big deal to you, then neglect this statement.

Hope this helped.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:43 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

if this is your weekend sports car and that you don't care for convertibles, than the Z is the only car for you as of today.

you won't regret it
Old 03-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Cabinetman

I appreciate the opinions thus far.

Some of you have mentioned the lack of back seats. This is a non issue for me as my daily driver is a '07 Chevy Avalanche LTZ and the wife has a '06 Expedition EB.

Kevin
Old 03-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Elohite

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
I appreciate the opinions thus far.

Some of you have mentioned the lack of back seats. This is a non issue for me as my daily driver is a '07 Chevy Avalanche LTZ and the wife has a '06 Expedition EB.

Kevin

Get the Z then!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to beat power, comfort (relative), handling, looks of the Z. I'm 64 and my wife 60. Even my candy butt wife enjoys the Z for trips.

My Z is now 4 years & 40,000 miles old with zero rattles. Rattles will depend on roads. Here in Cali, smooth roads have kept the Z rattle free. Roads make a big different.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:13 PM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Jaegermeister2k]What about the GTO? Very nice interior, 400 horsepower, very modable.

what scares me is im starting to like this car more and more
Old 03-27-2007, 02:25 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I live in Cali & my Z is a rattle trap. I took it to the dealer over and over again, they never could fix it.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:38 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabinetman

Also, how does the Z hold up over the long haul?

I have a hard time keeping a car for more than a year
Then no need to be concerned about long term reliably. Buy any of the above, keep it for a year, then get one of the others.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Test drive all the other cars and see how it feels. I personally don't like the look of RX8 and Mustangs. S2k is so freaking small I felt claustrophobic. Other than the G35 the Z was the top pick. Plus every time I get to drive it its pure fun and walking away from the car I always find myself looking back, admiring how good it looks.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:47 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

The Z is an excellent all arounder. The only problem I have with it is the lack of back seat. since this is a non issue with you, i highly recommend this car.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:01 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO I'd take an S2000 over an RX8 any day

it weighs less than the RX8
S2000 has a broader torque curve - it has more overall power than what the peak hp/tq numbers alone show
better gas mileage
more reliable
Vtec can be fun

who needs 4 seats in a sports car anyway

The mustang has a better engine and that's it. The handling isn't that great and there isn't much feel. Overall I'd say the car feels cheaper than any of the other cars

The GTO is a little more expensive, but it's an even more exagerated version of the mustang - even heavier/worse handling, but more powerful engine.

The Z has the total package, though it's not the best at anything except maybe looks - but that's subjective

honestly though I'd look into a slightly used car with less than 20k miles for 2/3 the price. They're usually almost as good as new

Last edited by sentry65; 03-27-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:02 PM
bkmcj

I was making the same decision in Dec. Really like the look of the Mustang and am a sucker for a V8. When you add it all up though the Mustang does not drive with anywhere near the precision of the Z. I also bought an Enthusiast. I still like Mustangs but I am confident I made the right choice.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:13 PM
shanki456

to me, a sports car needs leather seats, but thats just me.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:35 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Z hands down....350z>mustangGT>S2K>RX8 IMO

Quick Reply: Is the Z the best sports car for around $30k?