Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is the Z the best sports car for around $30k?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 01:55 PM
S8ER95Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Double the money? ? Not exactly... a base C6 is a very formidable car on any kind of track that would tear apart a 350Z (mid 12s in the 1/4 and handling is great) and I've seen people on here bragging about paying near 40K for a 350Z while a C6 can be bought new for ~45K... The new Z06 might be double the money but it also runs low 11s on factory rubber and high 10s now with a set of Drag Radials under it.. not really in the same league. Combine that with rediculous handling and it's worth much more than double the money IMHO.
Old 03-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Z_Driver
Master

I've had many Z cars over the years and this car is no different when it comes to a few things.

1) It handles really well.
2) It has a very good ride stock for a sports car.
3)They are reliable.
4)Gas mileage vs performance is very good. V8's use a lot of gas around town.
Not so true anymore on the freeway though. My 400HP V8 Firebird gets about the same as my Z there. A new Vette would get good mileage too on the freeway. However, that's more than I want to pay.
5) They look great.
6) Plenty of power for weekend car.
For racing there are better choices. For a weekend racer ... lots of parts out there and they hold their own in their class. V6 remember. Two wheel drive. Against V8 you'll get beat a bunch .... not always - So for a V6 pretty nice.
7) Interior design - rattles ... Mine doesn't rattle and I love the modern styling.
8) Independent rear .... Well, drag racing it does OK and that's a surprise... In the corners, it's super nice. You can throw it around a lot. You can't do that as much in a Firebird or a Stang say.
9) Small turning radius ... can whip a U-turn anywhere. Mustangs Y-turn on my street. Don't get me wrong I've owned many mustangs. The Z is just a cut above in most things. Power Ford has it..... but, look at the rest of the car. Have to admit I like that new Shelby ... but, I'd trade in my Firebird for that not the Z.
10) Did I mention they look great !!!

Old 03-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Double the money? ? Not exactly... a base C6 is a very formidable car on any kind of track that would tear apart a 350Z (mid 12s in the 1/4 and handling is great) and I've seen people on here bragging about paying near 40K for a 350Z while a C6 can be bought new for ~45K... The new Z06 might be double the money but it also runs low 11s on factory rubber and high 10s now with a set of Drag Radials under it.. not really in the same league. Combine that with rediculous handling and it's worth much more than double the money IMHO.
This is true ...But we are talking a under 30K car. I bought mine new for $25K.

Yes you can get a Z for $40K ... and yes you can get a Z06 for $80K with all the bells and whistles ... Not sure what the point is?
Old 03-29-2007, 05:27 PM
TurboTrey

Most Corvettes are not ragged out. Average Corvette drivers are 50+ and drive them very conservatively. Buy used and you can talk to the previous owner and see if they drove it hard.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by TurboTrey
Most Corvettes are not ragged out. Average Corvette drivers are 50+ and drive them very conservatively. Buy used and you can talk to the previous owner and see if they drove it hard.
Great point !!!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:42 PM
tomiegunzz

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
I've had many Z cars over the years and this car is no different when it comes to a few things.

1) It handles really well.
2) It has a very good ride stock for a sports car.
3)They are reliable.
4)Gas mileage vs performance is very good. V8's use a lot of gas around town.
Not so true anymore on the freeway though. My 400HP V8 Firebird gets about the same as my Z there. A new Vette would get good mileage too on the freeway. However, that's more than I want to pay.
5) They look great.
6) Plenty of power for weekend car.
For racing there are better choices. For a weekend racer ... lots of parts out there and they hold their own in their class. V6 remember. Two wheel drive. Against V8 you'll get beat a bunch .... not always - So for a V6 pretty nice.
7) Interior design - rattles ... Mine doesn't rattle and I love the modern styling.
8) Independent rear .... Well, drag racing it does OK and that's a surprise... In the corners, it's super nice. You can throw it around a lot. You can't do that as much in a Firebird or a Stang say.
9) Small turning radius ... can whip a U-turn anywhere. Mustangs Y-turn on my street. Don't get me wrong I've owned many mustangs. The Z is just a cut above in most things. Power Ford has it..... but, look at the rest of the car. Have to admit I like that new Shelby ... but, I'd trade in my Firebird for that not the Z.
10) Did I mention they look great !!!

More pics of your G35 wing.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Jaegermeister2k

Originally Posted by TurboTrey
A friend of mine who's in his 50's races his z06 at the drag strip, and at the road course, and the car still runs like new, modded too. Great cars, but prices vary ALOT. Saw a 2001 c5 vert and a 2003 yellow z06 at the same dealership right next to eachother, and the z06 was only $1000 more.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:07 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gothchick
I've heard that the 6MT Z's go through clutches @ every 50k miles, and brakes @ every 40k miles. .
Coould yu tell us who are the knowledgeable sources that you "heard" that from?

bill
Old 03-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Kolia

Get a used Lotus Elise...
Old 03-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Jaegermeister2k

Originally Posted by Kolia
Those are really growing on me. But even with the extremely low weight, i don't think many people would enjoy the low power during regular driving, just like with the s2k.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Off topic - But since I was asked ... a couple more picture of the G35 Spoiler:

It took a dremel and about an hour to hollow out under the spoiler for fitment.
Just use a lot of masking tape to protect your deck lid while you are modifying it ... Go slow take a 1/2 inch strip off at at time. I bought the spoiler off ebay for $65 dollars and $10 of paint later and a couple of spacers to give it that pedistal support look .... wala ...

I could have used the built in brake light as it would have fit but, I liked the look without it and it would have been redundant with the window brake light.

Last edited by Z_Driver; 03-29-2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Z_Driver
Master

I hear the Elise are not very good for daily drivers or around town. They have no room for stuff ... or even a couple of overnight bags.

But, on the track... yah boy !!!

I'd rather spend the money on a Vette.

Edited for clarity ...

Last edited by Z_Driver; 03-29-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Kolia

I hear they are not very good for daily drivers or around town. They have no room for stuff ... or even a couple of overnight bags.

But, on the track... yah boy !!!

I'd rather spend the money on a Vette.
I thought we had a daily driver?
Old 03-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Z_Driver
Master

I thought we had a daily driver?
Please note - I was quoting the Elise suggestion.... Yep Z is a good daily driver if you can get over dings you'll get.
Boy do I hate dings.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:13 AM
Cabinetman

I'm 6'2" and climbing in and out of the Elise is no fun (I've tried). If i was a hardcore club racer it would make sense, but for a weekend car it might be a little too raw.

Kevin
Old 03-30-2007, 03:20 AM
Kolia

Please note - I was quoting the Elise suggestion.... Yep Z is a good daily driver if you can get over dings you'll get.
Boy do I hate dings.
I know you where quoting my Elise suggestion.

I was refering to the OP of the topic who's looking for a weekend sport car since he had a daily driver.

The "We" refered to the context of the original discussion. "We" have a truck for the week. What sport car around 30k can we get in addition to that?

An Elise !
Old 03-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Kolia

Originally Posted by Cabinetman
I'm 6'2" and climbing in and out of the Elise is no fun (I've tried). If i was a hardcore club racer it would make sense, but for a weekend car it might be a little too raw.

Kevin
I'm 6'1" and 205lb and it's actually pretty fun/comical to sit down in one. The "getting out of" is even better! Lol I agree it's not a daily driver.

Still, for the price its pretty much the ultimate driving experience.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:53 AM
jdavis169

I've had serious wheel time with every car you mentioned...get the Z! As far as reliability goes, I have an 03 Touring Edition and have never had a single problem.
Four years later and I still wake up smiling knowing what's in my driveway. It's fast and it's gorgeous. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing else I'd rather be driving.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:51 AM
S8ER95Z

This is true ...But we are talking a under 30K car. I bought mine new for $25K.

Yes you can get a Z for $40K ... and yes you can get a Z06 for $80K with all the bells and whistles ... Not sure what the point is?
Point was someone said a vette is double the money... even at 25K it wouldn't be double the money. That is all.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:18 AM
kayfuNk
Banned

Originally Posted by Elohite
Dont eliminate the RSX (Make sure it has a Type-S Badge)

"In my price range I can get the 350z Enthusiast, RX-8, Honda S2k and Mustang GT."

All have ups and downs.

350z and s2k 2 Seaters.

Mustang and rx-8 4 seats

IMO: if you like speed, mustang
Tracking and twisties : rx-8, s2k, z
looks: z

z wins 2/3
DO ELIMINATE THE RSX, if you dontl ike the s2k, you'll HATE the RSX, it's slow in all ends, low and top

the Z is the best car for the $ period, looks, style, handling, speed. you cant beat it.

Quick Reply: Is the Z the best sports car for around $30k?