Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My 350Z Review on AudiWorld...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 01:36 AM
LowFuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Brad - dont know if you remember me, I've been to a few of the TT club meetings in San Diego (lunch at Carl Strauss).

Anyway, I appriciate your posting these comments - very classy.
I will be switching from a TT to a Z in about 2 months, and will post my own comparisons of course at that time.

I think some of these Z folks need to actually meet a few TT owners instead of making their pat generalizations. How about we do a goodwill drive later this year?

Cheers,

Jason
Old 07-25-2002, 01:41 AM
justwant1

My brother owns a TT Roadster, the first year. While this car needs more power, it's still one hell of a great ride. I think the TT is a great car, but not for everyone. I personally feel it's overpriced for the performance it gives you. If the car came up to the Z's power levels it would probably get more expensive. But I can say this, when you get into the TT you can see and feel the quality and luxury put into the car.

Brad...Great write-up.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:51 AM
droideka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Brad, I doubt that a there is a single person here that does not GREATLY appreciate your review and pics! You're a good guy that I remember from way back on AW as I've been there since '99. I vividly recall all of the sh*t you went through with the 180 NM TT. Glad you were able to finally get one that treats you right. I also know that you're aware that AW does have it's share of clueless clowns who do tend to tarnish the image of the Audi marque. We've got some of our own over here as well.

Regardless, thanks for the write-up and thanks for the pics!
Old 07-25-2002, 02:06 AM
ICYBLUE1203

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EighTT, was that you in the LeMans on the 405 yesterday? Cause there was a black TT beside the 350Z, which I followed of course. Just curious.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:15 AM
J Ritt

Thumbs up

Brad,

Thanks for the info and pics...and for stopping by. Don't pay any mind to those who generalize and slander owners of a specific marque of car. Thanks again, and welcome.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:27 AM
rai

I don't know why there is any animosity towards the audi tt. The Z may have a passing resemblance to the tt, but tha't it. The two cars have little in common. The TT is more about style first and performance second. I think it is a very interesting car. The Z is more about performance first and style is second.

If you want more performance and less stlye look at the american pony cars.
Old 07-25-2002, 04:45 AM
rai

sorry I just read your "review" of he Z and can see where some anomosity comes from. First of all looks are subjective, and you obviously are quite taken with the tt.

The areas you give praise to the Z are obvious and beyond a doubt. Such as resonable price, fast, powerful engine, etc...

For subjective you seem to think the Z is OK, but lacks a soul, lacks class, not in the same league as the tt, will look commonplace compaired to the tt.

If you would take your head out of the sand you will find that the tt is not as fresh today as it was 3 years ago. I happen to love the tt, but a lot of people (and I don't mean Z people, I mean ordinary people) do not find it as much of a timeless classic as you. Have you ever heard "it looks like a bug (beetle) that somone sat on"?

Anyway to me your pictures of the 2 side by side give me a true indication of the real winner. I'm sure real aluminum and carbon fiber would be neat, but given the choice between a 287 hp V6 and a 180-225 hp four, I'll take the power.
Old 07-25-2002, 05:30 AM
3rdpower

Hey your class act for posting. (y)
Old 07-25-2002, 06:52 PM
rai

Default EighTT

I may have been a little too hard on your review, I know the 350Z is not perfect, but like they say: "for the money...."

There is not a car out there that is perfect, but I don't think the Z is as bad as you make it out, such as: "lacks class, lacking soul, and not in the same league as the tt".

You said yoruself the tt is in need of an engine upgrade, but for some people the engine is the soul of a car, and so far the Z seems to have a good start in that catigory.

Well let's keep up the frendly rivalry.

Phil
Old 07-25-2002, 08:34 PM
LowFuel

rai, I'm glad you came back to post that follow up.... restored my faith a bit that the Z community is not going to build a bad reputation of its own (which would be ironic considering how much we've been bagging on the personas that drive other marques).

Friendly rivalry, couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:14 PM
rai

It's too easy to fly off the handle and start to *****, I know the "not in the same league" remark was directed at the interior of the Z, and not the whole car. I wish it had a better interior, but if you go for A++ in every catigory you end up with a car like the NSX, but you can't do that for $27-34K.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:53 PM
Alang

I for one thought the review was very well done. Not one of us would be able to compare a car to the one we own without some about of bias. I mean you have to have a bias to pick out a car in the first place!

I don't think anything was said that we haven't heard before. The interior didn't hold up against the Adui's. Well no kidding. Audi has been getting kudos for a long time on their interiors. They are very high quality and richly appointed. Nissan stated from the beginning they wanted to create a car with the Z DNA. A NO FRILLS sports car. No frills means plain appointments.

I was really glad to see side by side pictures of the cars. It really points out the differences. Both have pluses and minuses. The back of the Z and the front of the Audi are the weak points IMHO.

All in all the review felt very honest and genuine, and I am glad it was posted. Once I get my Z, maybe someone in San Diego with a TT will let me do my own comparison for posting on this site!

I promise to be honest, and would love the oppertunity to drive a TT. I have heard alot about them, but dont want to come to any conculsions unless I have personal experience.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:15 PM
BigBadBuford

I also liked the review, but I was puzzled with one thing. In the review you mention that most of the pieces in the Z that look like aluminum are actually plastic which isnt true. The interior and exterior door handles, the grab bar on the door, and other aluminum bits are just that - real aluminum. I think a lot of people are getting the idea that Nissan used cheap materials in the Z, and IMO, this is definitely not the case. Now, the Z doesn't have quite an Audi-esque interior, but it is still a very nice place to be. I think many people will be pleasantly surprised the first time they see one in person.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:53 PM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by Alang
I was really glad to see side by side pictures of the cars. It really points out the differences. Both have pluses and minuses. The back of the Z and the front of the Audi are the weak points IMHO.
I agree that in the pictures the Z's rear end did not look that impressive, I thought it was too empty. But pictures do not do the rear end justice. The flair of the back wheel wells just does not come out in a picture, and the sweep of the lines of the hatchback into the brake lights is gorgeous. I think you will find that in person, the rear end is not a minus on the Z.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:22 AM
rai

Default Re: Re: My 350Z Review on AudiWorld...

Originally posted by VQracer
Are you sure about that? I have read in many car magazines that they do share the same platform with the Beetle.

VQ you are the man. goes to show what you can accomplish when you set your mind to it. Keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: My 350Z Review on AudiWorld...