Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z Interior Bashed

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 09:50 AM
Rotorhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z Interior Bashed

In the latest Motortrend review of the Mazda RX-8, motortrend bashed the Z interior rferring to the "stark, minimalist interior of the Nissan 350Z". I have not seen the Z interior up close, but peering through the window I am not sure this was a fair statement. Anyone have an opinion that has more experience with the Z than I do? Here is the link http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2232.shtml
Old 04-15-2003, 10:16 AM
ProjectGoose

the interiors just have different feels. I like both, and actually feel that while the RX-8's is "nicer" it doesn't fit with a sports car with a base price under $30K. G35C yes, RX-8 no. And while most would agree in most conditions it is better to have a luxury car interior in a regular car body, the RX-8 doesn't feel that way to me. The center console is nice, but from what I have seen, leaves no options for aftermarket HUs because of its design.

Different strokes, i guess.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:54 AM
WashUJon

I would call the Z's interior "spartan", which implies simplicity for functionality. I prefer it that way. I'd rather concentrate on the road and the experience of driving. Drive a Z and you won't care about the interior very much. Everything is in the right place and easily reached. The driving position and ergonomics fit me better than any car I've ever owned. I'm 5'10 and average weight, so I'm really the average American when it comes to sizing. I haven't ever been UNcomfortable in ANY car, but this car fits me like a glove. I love it. And, for the record, every passenger that gets my car says "wow" for the first time. I think that's fairly telling...
Old 04-15-2003, 12:00 PM
Brad4rdHay

The interior looks great, its got an eye catching desing, thats modern, but at the same time, is quite rounded and visually "soft", and symetricaly simple, which will age well. The RX's interior is a tad bussy, and may not age quite as well, but I agree, it looks pretty cool, and a tad more "finished" material wise.

Hey, the interior looks cool (how many people have you caught peering inside your window at the parking lot), and its ergonomically PERFECT. I mean, everything, wheels, pedals, radio, HVAC, are exactly whree they should be, and the seats are some of the bet I've sat in....coushy where they should be, fim where its nescesary, and with great bolster support (that also permits freedom of movement for shifting and steeing)
Old 04-15-2003, 12:25 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd rather take a boring interior and the 287hp and 5.4 0-60 than the busy RX-8 with 250hp and NO torque, and some 6.5 0-60 times that I have been reading.

every article I have read seems to indicate that the Z is a TRUE sports car and handles better and is faster than the rx-8, which is why I bought this car, if I wanted "nice" I would have gone with a G35c and still beat the RX-8
Old 04-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Rotorhead

Thanks for the feedback. I tend to prefer a more minimalist approach on the interior myself. I am not sure what Motortrend was looking for, after all it is a sports car and from what I can see from the interior it is what I would expect it to be. Have not seen the RX-8 interior other than in pictures and it did not look too busy to me. Also in line with what I would expect for a sports oriented car (not sure what to call it).
Old 04-15-2003, 12:29 PM
350Zwannabe

Default Could have been better

That plastic housing that the Nav. should be in is just waiting to BREAK! I am very comfortable in the car and have PLENTY of knee room for my 6 Ft. 220lb frame but Nissan should take some pointers from the Germans and add REAL Aluminum instead of Silver plastic. Can't be that much more expensive right? OK maybe I'm wrong.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Intrepid

MotorWeek has no fukin idea what they're talking about. If their statement was based on the 350Z Base model (a small minority of owners), then maybe I see their point. But I have Touring with Nav and it certainly doesn't have a "stark, minimalist interior." I have heated seats, heated mirrors, cruise control, limited slip, Traction Control, Navigation, Bose Stereo (upgraded ), power seats, etc etc. Motorweek is talking out their ***.

And while we're on the subject, you can not compare a sports car (350Z) to the underpowered, 4 door, backseat RX8 (a Sporty car).

Last edited by Intrepid; 04-15-2003 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:04 PM
350Zwannabe

Default 1/4 mile time

Funny how close the 1/4 mile times were. Thats called LIGHT WEIGHT. Hey, just like the Z, when people start strapping on turbos to the RX8 watch out! I have never driven the RX8 but I'm sure it has RX7 qualities when it comes to handling. That is something to look out for. I love the way the Z handles but If anyone has ever driven an RX7 you know what I mean. I think an Autocross thrashing would be fun in both cars.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:06 PM
zeroday

guys, i'm a member at acura-cl.com and they are CONSTANTLY bashing the Z's interior saying it look cheap, fisher price, etc. I always end up defending it along with a few other ex-CL 350Z drivers that still frequent that site. I for one think the interior is one of the high points of the car so I really don't know where they are coming from. My touring w/navi looks 10x better inside than my CL did. God that car was asthetically boring... My only beef with the interior is that the plastic scratches too easily and my elbow keeps turning off my seat heaters.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:09 PM
zeroday

Default Re: 1/4 mile time

Originally posted by 350Zwannabe
Funny how close the 1/4 mile times were. Thats called LIGHT WEIGHT. Hey, just like the Z, when people start strapping on turbos to the RX8 watch out! I have never driven the RX8 but I'm sure it has RX7 qualities when it comes to handling. That is something to look out for. I love the way the Z handles but If anyone has ever driven an RX7 you know what I mean. I think an Autocross thrashing would be fun in both cars.
wonder if it has the rx7 quality of being unreliable...those last gen rx7's were pretty problematic.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:13 PM
failsafe
....for your health

but Nissan should take some pointers from the Germans and add REAL Aluminum instead of Silver plastic.
The interior accents are aluminum. Direct from the Nissan website:
• Aluminum interior accents

http://www.nissanusa.com/ms/futurez/...7C1%7C,00.html
scroll down on the features list

I would call the Z's interior "spartan", which implies simplicity for functionality. I prefer it that way. I'd rather concentrate on the road and the experience of driving. Drive a Z and you won't care about the interior very much. Everything is in the right place and easily reached. The driving position and ergonomics fit me better than any car I've ever owned. I'm 5'10 and average weight, so I'm really the average American when it comes to sizing. I haven't ever been UNcomfortable in ANY car, but this car fits me like a glove. I love it. And, for the record, every passenger that gets my car says "wow" for the first time. I think that's fairly telling...
couldn't have said it any better myself.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:14 PM
RayC

Originally posted by failsaf3

Yup, the Z uses real aluminum in the interior.... and guess what?? My bimmer's interior uses silver plastic...

Old 04-15-2003, 02:45 PM
rodH

haha, maybe you should drive oneinteresting you brought this up, I just picked up "CAR" magazine (UK mag), they tested the RX vs the Z

here are some quotes

"Nissan feels more like a TRUE SPORTS car than the Mazda", "(Mazda) handling is more like that of a good sports saloon (sedan)", "the Z has what feels like massive GRIP and performance after the relatively dainty, rolly RX-8", MAZDA-"which undoubtedly helps with the delicately balanced handling, far better on real roads THAN artificial environment of the TRACK", "whatever else the RX8 maybe, its NOT a hardcore driving device, certainly not in this company (against the Z)...In direct comparison the Z has what feels like massive grip and massive performance after the relatively dainty, rolly mazda"."...But as a TRUE sports car, the nissan walks it (RX8) after even teh briefest of comparison runs. Think the difference between a BMW 330i and a Porsche Boxster and your CLOSE (meaning there is a bigger difference) to the league of difference here.""the Mazda will have to settle for what it is, a 4 door sporting saloon thats been subtly disguised as a coupe".

these comments seem to sure support the Z when comparing it to the RX8
Old 04-15-2003, 02:55 PM
rodH

btw the best 0-60 times were 5.9 when the dropped the clutch at over 7500 rpms, other mags have gotten 6.1, 6.2 and 6.5, hardly what I would consider a close race with the Z, also there are many 1/4 times that show around 95mph at the 1/4 for the RX-8, again, hardly a Z beater.

if you want interior for the RX8, maybe I can give you that, but NOT handling or acceleration.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:02 PM
Selski12

Default Re: Z Interior Bashed

Originally posted by Rotorhead
In the latest Motortrend review of the Mazda RX-8, motortrend bashed the Z interior rferring to the "stark, minimalist interior of the Nissan 350Z". http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2232.shtml
Minimalist interior? Um...leather/wood appointments all over the place would serve a function for a car being touted as luxury sports coupe, not in a sports car in my book.

For the Z interior, I like how simple it looks and still look modern. Granted, some of the pieces are plastic, but its pretty sturdy and well constructed in my opinion. I agree on the nav door though, it seems a bit flimsy.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:21 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Default Re: Could have been better

and have PLENTY of knee room for my 6 Ft. 220lb frame
I'm about the same frame as you at 6'1" 210lb -- what's your seat positioning set to? Even after 6000 miles I find myself adjusting it constantly. I have long legs so I have my seat all the way back or else my knees hit the steering column with the clutch engaged.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:36 PM
rodH

Originally posted by failsaf3

yep, feel it when it is cold out, it feels cold (like metal) and not warm (like the plastic on the dashboard)
Old 04-15-2003, 03:38 PM
rodH

Default Re: Re: Z Interior Bashed

Originally posted by Selski12
Minimalist interior? Um...leather/wood appointments all over the place would serve a function for a car being touted as luxury sports coupe, not in a sports car in my book.

For the Z interior, I like how simple it looks and still look modern. Granted, some of the pieces are plastic, but its pretty sturdy and well constructed in my opinion. I agree on the nav door though, it seems a bit flimsy.
I bet if that door were better constructed, THIS issue would NEVER be brought up, it all comes down to that door, which I agree is a little flimsy.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:43 PM
Selski12

Forgot to add, even though the nav door is flimsy you got to like how it rolls up smoothly!

I think that it is one of the first things people notice when they sit down on the seat. They are like "Ooh whats this do..." Then they get that first impression of the interior being all like that

Last edited by Selski12; 04-15-2003 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Z Interior Bashed