Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 07 350z review... (my 07 versus my 06)

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 10:03 PM
hiz-n-herz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My 07 350z review... (my 07 versus my 06)

OK, I traded my 06 350z GT 6MT for an 07 350z GT 6MT. Really foolish trade, I know. I thought I joined the "I'm stupid enough to trade an 06 for an 07 club". But not so fast...

You can search my posts if you want, But I have not been happy with the 06 since day 1. I was pissed that I was making a monthly payment on a car that frustrated me so much. Understand, this is all relative. My previous car was an e36 M3 so I was used to a certain level of refinement and behavior. These are my opinions only and meant to help people trying to decide if they should get an 06 or 07. (flame suit on!) Here is a summary of my 06 versus my 07 traits:

06: with 7800 miles
1. Pings - like a ***** when it's warmer than 60 degrees outside. This happens constantly, under load anywhere under 3k RPMs. Then it's OK until 4.5k RPMs where one big ping or detonation occurs.(?) Two dealers wouldn't do anything about it... said it's normal

2. Engine - was buzzy (N/V/H) and felt like it was begging NOT to be reved over 4k RPMs. The exhaust soude great, but the engine does not. It sounds like it is struggling. It would accelerate up to 7k RPMS, if asked to, but power dropped off after about 6k RPMs anyway so I'd usually short-shift it at 5k; sometimes 6k but it was not rewarding to rev it to 7k. Also, the Z makes the most hideous sound when the engine is winding down between shifts - especially at High-RPMs

3. Power Delivery - in stock form, it really doesn't feel like it builds power until you hit 3.5k RPMs when it starts building until 4.5kRPMs; then it really takes off until 6k RPMs. Under 2k RPMs it had no power or torque (except 1st gear), causing gear changes when you try to lug it up a hill. It really never felt like it had a lot of midrange torque until I did the MREV2 and spacer (which I removed before trade-in) It's on the wife's 06 now. (Awesome mod, BTW. would to it again in a heartbeat to any rev-up)

4. Clutch engagement - Clutch pedal was smooth and linear, but actual engagement was not so smooth. The beginning of the pedal stroke while engaging the clutch was somewhat smooth but the last 25% of the stroke provides 80% of the engagement so it was difficult to drive smoothly. To get it moving quickly, from a stop, you really had to gas it due to a lack of low-end torque. When you would slip the clutch and gasit aggressively, the clutch would chatter a bit. I think the stock clutch on the 06 was too weak for the weight of the car.. especially with passengers.

5. Brakes - The brakes suffered from pad kick-back, which would result in needing to pump the brakes once in order to get a firm (normal) pedal feel on the second stroke, if you had taken a corner quickly. Otherwise, pedal feel was always mushy. I have taken the car to have the brakes bled because this was the tell-tale sign when the M3 brakes needed to be bled. After bleeding the brakes on the z (by the dealer), the pedal feel seemd to be good for a while, but was back to being mushy in a couple-hundred miles. Dealer said they felt normal Maybe I had a leaky master cylinder?

6. Suspension - The handling/cornering on smooth pavement was awesome... no doubt about that. The front suspension felt great. My only criticism was that the compression damping on the rear shocks was too much and rebound damping not enough. this caused the rear of the car to thown up over any hump in the road. this would unweight the rear tires in a corner if you encounter a bump and the rear end would slide as a result - NOT a good feeling or a trait!

7. Transmission - My 06 would always crunch on the 1-2 shift. Not bad, but it was obvious and my wife's 06 did not do it. PISSED me off! Dealer said this is normal - WTF .

8. Low-speed clutch disengagemet - Ever drive the car in 1st in a parking lot and then you depress the clutch and you hear the drivetrain shudder (lash) a bit? The M3 did this too, so I was used to that, but I still did not like it in a car that is 9 years newer.

OK... Enough 06 bashing. Maybe mine was just a POS(?)

I am happy to report that all these issues have been corrected in the 07. I would not have believed it, but after driving it for a couple days, I am just blown away by how much more refined it feels. Here are the particulars:

1. Pinging - Non-existent. Doesn't do it at all - ever. I can't even make it do it... Sweet!

2&3 Engine & Power delivery - OMG!!!!! so much smoother with regards to N/V/H. Better, more linear power delivery. Gobs of low, low-end torque (from 1k RPMS to 2.5k RPMS - yes, that low!) It required much fewer shifts. Torque delivery reminds me of the e36 M3, except there's more of it! Of course you should not lug the engine up a hil, but I tried it - Wife and I and going up a hill in 3rd gear at 1.5k RPMs and it didn't argue at all. I pushed the gas and it went. Unbelievable. The's just more power everywhere. Driving between 3-4kRPMs is a blast. (have not redlined it yet because it only had 300 Miles on it). The old engine, I could hear/feel when it was in the 3-4k RPM range and I would be ready to shift. This engine is so smooth, I have forgotten to upshift it a couple of times. I never forgot to upshift the 06. It's just that smooth. Oh, and they went with a new starter motor that sounds much better than the 06. Seems like a stronger starter motor.

4. Clutch engagement - I think it has a different clutch and lever points. For one, the clutch engagement is VERY smooth and more linear going from slipping to fully-engaged. Also, I can feel there is a spring-relief built into the clutch pedal. It is harder to push in the initial stroke, but there is an assist spring that helps you hold it in the depressed position. The M3 had this feature and it's a welcome addition to the z. If the old one had it, I never noticed. The clutch itself feels a lot stronger. The stronger clutch combines with the great low, low torque makes clutch engagement a dream. I wcould effectively engage the clutch from a stop and without RPMs going over 1k!!! This is with a passenger too. Bravo!!!

5. Brakes feel strong, with a high, firm pedal feel. Even after whipping aroung corners. Sweet! WTF was wrong with the brakes on my 06????

6. Suspension - OK... they totally revalved the rear shocks on the 07. MUCH less bounce. Feels like they added rebound damping and removed some compression damping. Or maybe they changed the spring rates. PERFECT!!!! for me anyway... It does feel much softer than the 06, but still seems to corner well. Seems like it might have thicker sways too because it corners very level despite the softer rear-end. I was going to go with Konis on the 06, but the 07 feels pretty damn good... I might leave well-enough alone. The rear end feels much more planted over bumps and corners. I even went to check my tire pressure because the rear-end feels so smooth. Thought I had low tire pressure - Nope, just better matched springs/shocks.

7. Transmission - it;s just silky smooth as forged performance mentioned. You can feel the gates, but there is NO crunching anywhere. Sweet!

8. Low-speed clutch disengagement - what can I say, I have not felt any drivetrain lash or shudder yet whe disengaging the clutch at low-speed.

So there it is. I am completely stoked!!! I have not been this excited about a car since I bought the M3. My 06 Z just kind of irritated me. Such a joy to drive this one, I forget all about the hump on the hood!

Finally!!! the refinement to match the drop-dead georgeous looks (sans the hood) and awesome handling.

I lost a little on the trade, of course, but I have Nav this time and my payments are the same as the 06 (got a better interest rate this time )

07 Z FTMFW!

Edit: A couple other annoyances about my 06 that I forgot about...

Engine mis-firing at idle and could only fill the gas tank up 1/2 way about 1 out of 4 fill-ups. (flapper valve issue?)

07 has not given me fill-up problems... yet. Jurry's still out on that one. But the HR at idle is just smooth as silk and never misses a beat.

Last edited by hiz-n-herz; 04-15-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:25 PM
kourosH

i love my 06.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Bevo

Originally Posted by kourosH
i love my 06.
+1
Old 04-13-2007, 01:07 AM
jdmz33hellafast

i love my 04 still..
Old 04-13-2007, 01:15 AM
hiz-n-herz

Talking The Herz in Hiz-n-Herz Loves her 06 SS

The Herz in Hiz-n-Herz Loves her 06 SS
Old 04-13-2007, 01:46 AM
Devil Z

Wanna race my 04?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:39 AM
chriskabobbers

Z's rock! =)
Old 04-13-2007, 03:39 AM
Riley07

Glad you like it!!! My friend gets pissed off when my stock 07 walks his modded 06...Glad you like it!
Old 04-13-2007, 04:01 AM
Blacryan

07 ftw.

I heart my 07.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:11 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by Riley07
Glad you like it!!! My friend gets pissed off when my stock 07 walks his modded 06...Glad you like it!

lol ummm oooooooook wtf kinda mods does your friend have? Nismo stickers?
Old 04-13-2007, 04:12 AM
timmywick

06--07 Whatever..............z' S R Fun..
Old 04-13-2007, 04:15 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Glad your happy , both are great cars .
Old 04-13-2007, 04:24 AM
Riley07

Originally Posted by MasterRacer
lol ummm oooooooook wtf kinda mods does your friend have? Nismo stickers?

Magnaflow exhaust and Injen intake...His car isn't that quick at all
Old 04-13-2007, 04:30 AM
Husky606

congrats on the new '07 Z but.................
Old 04-13-2007, 04:35 AM
blackstealthz

Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz
OK, I traded my 06 350z GT 6MT for an 07 350z GT 6MT. Really foolish trade, I know. I thought I joined the "I'm stupid enough to trade an 06 for an 07 club". But not so fast...

You can search my posts if you want, But I have not been happy with the 06 since day 1. I was pissed that I was making a monthly payment on a car that frustrated me so much. Understand, this is all relative. My previous car was an e36 M3 so I was used to a certain level of refinement and behavior. These are my opinions only and meant to help people trying to decide if they should get an 06 or 07. (flame suit on!) Here is a summary of my 06 versus my 07 traits:

06: with 7800 miles
1. Pings - like a ***** when it's warmer than 60 degrees outside. This happens constantly, under load anywhere under 3k RPMs. Then it's OK until 4.5k RPMs where one big ping or detonation occurs.(?) Two dealers wouldn't do anything about it... said it's normal

2. Engine - was buzzy (N/V/H) and felt like it was begging NOT to be reved over 4k RPMs. The exhaust soude great, but the engine does not. It sounds like it is struggling. It would accelerate up to 7k RPMS, if asked to, but power dropped off after about 6k RPMs anyway so I'd usually short-shift it at 5k; sometimes 6k but it was not rewarding to rev it to 7k. Also, the Z makes the most hideous sound when the engine is winding down between shifts - especially at High-RPMs

3. Power Delivery - in stock form, it really doesn't feel like it builds power until you hit 3.5k RPMs when it starts building until 4.5kRPMs; then it really takes off until 6k RPMs. Under 2k RPMs it had no power or torque (except 1st gear), causing gear changes when you try to lug it up a hill. It really never felt like it had a lot of midrange torque until I did the MREV2 and spacer (which I removed before trade-in) It's on the wife's 06 now. (Awesome mod, BTW. would to it again in a heartbeat to any rev-up)

4. Clutch engagement - Clutch pedal was smooth and linear, but actual engagement was not so smooth. The beginning of the pedal stroke while engaging the clutch was somewhat smooth but the last 25% of the stroke provides 80% of the engagement so it was difficult to drive smoothly. To get it moving quickly, from a stop, you really had to gas it due to a lack of low-end torque. When you would slip the clutch and gasit aggressively, the clutch would chatter a bit. I think the stock clutch on the 06 was too weak for the weight of the car.. especially with passengers.

5. Brakes - The brakes suffered from pad kick-back, which would result in needing to pump the brakes once in order to get a firm (normal) pedal feel on the second stroke, if you had taken a corner quickly. Otherwise, pedal feel was always mushy. I have taken the car to have the brakes bled because this was the tell-tale sign when the M3 brakes needed to be bled. After bleeding the brakes on the z (by the dealer), the pedal feel seemd to be good for a while, but was back to being mushy in a couple-hundred miles. Dealer said they felt normal Maybe I had a leaky master cylinder?

6. Suspension - The handling/cornering on smooth pavement was awesome... no doubt about that. The front suspension felt great. My only criticism was that the compression damping on the rear shocks was too much and rebound damping not enough. this caused the rear of the car to thown up over any hump in the road. this would unweight the rear tires in a corner if you encounter a bump and the rear end would slide as a result - NOT a good feeling or a trait!

7. Transmission - My 06 would always crunch on the 1-2 shift. Not bad, but it was obvious and my wife's 06 did not do it. PISSED me off! Dealer said this is normal - WTF .

8. Low-speed clutch disengagemet - Ever drive the car in 1st in a parking lot and then you depress the clutch and you hear the drivetrain shudder (lash) a bit? The M3 did this too, so I was used to that, but I still did not like it in a car that is 9 years newer.

OK... Enough 06 bashing. Maybe mine was just a POS(?)

I am happy to report that all these issues have been corrected in the 07. I would not have believed it, but after driving it for a couple days, I am just blown away by how much more refined it feels. Here are the particulars:

1. Pinging - Non-existent. Doesn't do it at all - ever. I can't even make it do it... Sweet!

2&3 Engine & Power delivery - OMG!!!!! so much smoother with regards to N/V/H. Better, more linear power delivery. Gobs of low, low-end torque (from 1k RPMS to 2.5k RPMS - yes, that low!) It required much fewer shifts. Torque delivery reminds me of the e36 M3, except there's more of it! Of course you should not lug the engine up a hil, but I tried it - Wife and I and going up a hill in 3rd gear at 1.5k RPMs and it didn't argue at all. I pushed the gas and it went. Unbelievable. The's just more power everywhere. Driving between 3-4kRPMs is a blast. (have not redlined it yet because it only had 300 Miles on it). The old engine, I could hear/feel when it was in the 3-4k RPM range and I would be ready to shift. This engine is so smooth, I have forgotten to upshift it a couple of times. I never forgot to upshift the 06. It's just that smooth. Oh, and they went with a new starter motor that sounds much better than the 06. Seems like a stronger starter motor.

4. Clutch engagement - I think it has a different clutch and lever points. For one, the clutch engagement is VERY smooth and more linear going from slipping to fully-engaged. Also, I can feel there is a spring-relief built into the clutch pedal. It is harder to push in the initial stroke, but there is an assist spring that helps you hold it in the depressed position. The M3 had this feature and it's a welcome addition to the z. If the old one had it, I never noticed. The clutch itself feels a lot stronger. The stronger clutch combines with the great low, low torque makes clutch engagement a dream. I wcould effectively engage the clutch from a stop and without RPMs going over 1k!!! This is with a passenger too. Bravo!!!

5. Brakes feel strong, with a high, firm pedal feel. Even after whipping aroung corners. Sweet! WTF was wrong with the brakes on my 06????

6. Suspension - OK... they totally revalved the rear shocks on the 07. MUCH less bounce. Feels like they added rebound damping and removed some compression damping. Or maybe they changed the spring rates. PERFECT!!!! for me anyway... It does feel much softer than the 06, but still seems to corner well. Seems like it might have thicker sways too because it corners very level despite the softer rear-end. I was going to go with Konis on the 06, but the 07 feels pretty damn good... I might leave well-enough alone. The rear end feels much more planted over bumps and corners. I even went to check my tire pressure because the rear-end feels so smooth. Thought I had low tire pressure - Nope, just better matched springs/shocks.

7. Transmission - it;s just silky smooth as forged performance mentioned. You can feel the gates, but there is NO crunching anywhere. Sweet!

8. Low-speed clutch disengagement - what can I say, I have not felt any drivetrain lash or shudder yet whe disengaging the clutch at low-speed.

So there it is. I am completely stoked!!! I have not been this excited about a car since I bought the M3. My 06 Z just kind of irritated me. Such a joy to drive this one, I forget all about the hump on the hood!

Finally!!! the refinement to match the drop-dead georgeous looks (sans the hood) and awesome handling.

I lost a little on the trade, of course, but I have Nav this time and my payments are the same as the 06 (got a better interest rate this time )

07 Z FTMFW!

I agree 100% i love my 07 all problems have been corrected and thanks for the post (hiz-n-herz) Always good to hear nice things about the Z'.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:56 AM
Gooey

+1 Too traded my 06 for a 07. Every bit of what he has said is 100% true. Although I have about 400 miles on the car I did push the car to the 7500 and its amazin
Old 04-13-2007, 05:13 AM
zman1910

I had an 04 and now have an 06. I drove the 07 with hopes of trading in so I'll tell you my side. The only thing I actually agree with you on is the clutch. The clutch feels weak even in comparison to my 04 and is very hard to modulate. Too much effort is required to have a perfect launch simply bc the engagement point is a bit on the high side thus also making it easy to ride the clutch and cause excess wear. The 04 was far from a refined vehicle, however I couldn't tell a difference as far as refinement between my 06 and the 07. The 07 felt just as buzzy when winding down from high rpms's (but nowhere near that of my 04 model) and the brakes felt exactly the same. I have never experienced any type of pinging and even if you do the ECU should have compensated for it eventually.

I somewhat agree with you on power delivery as well. My 04 had gobs of torque initially making it feel like a muscle car but lost all its steam up top. That kinda sucks bc I enjoy opening up my car on the highway. The 06 in turn has the power delivery of a Honda S2000 but on a larger scale with an amazing top end. I agree with the torque loss down low, but far from non existant the way you describe it. I'd rather have my power up top since I rarely ever drive like a maniac in the city.

Personally, I think you had a car that would've been a lemon so kudos on getting rid of it. Whichever way you look at it the 07 is definitely the better car simply from a power delivery standpoint providing both low and top end thrust. Thats where the differences end though IMO...well except for that hump
Old 04-13-2007, 05:29 AM
Sudou

Does it feel faster though?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:33 AM
Kieran@DrivenDynamics

My 07 has that Slow speed clutch disengagement issue, makes some kinda noise when you do it.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:34 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O7 all the way ! So much better than my (RIP) 05 !

Last edited by Tac-M; 04-13-2007 at 05:50 AM.

Quick Reply: My 07 350z review... (my 07 versus my 06)