Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

residual value of mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Brrcats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default residual value of mods

I did a search and went through about 5-6 pages of threads that didnt seem to meet what my question is, so sorry to the repost police if this has been addressed recently.

I'm shopping for my Z currently and I've come across a wide variety of cars with different states of being modded. So my question is how much value do these modifications hold for the reseller? I've seen some individuals price thier car 1-2k more than the blue book value becuase of the mods while others are much less.

So any input on this subject would be appreciated.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:18 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

I would say you can get about 25% or 30% of the value of parts on your car when you sell it. That is why everyone says part it out...b/c then you can get 60% or 70% easy.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:19 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always keep your oem parts when modding... Mods might hold 1/2 to 1/3 of their value when you go to sell your car. Or depending on who's buying - might even depreciate the car more than it would have otherwise. An "investment" they are not. Keep your oem parts when modding!

Last edited by gothchick; 04-20-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:22 AM
push

Originally Posted by Brrcats
I did a search and went through about 5-6 pages of threads that didnt seem to meet what my question is, so sorry to the repost police if this has been addressed recently.

I'm shopping for my Z currently and I've come across a wide variety of cars with different states of being modded. So my question is how much value do these modifications hold for the reseller? I've seen some individuals price thier car 1-2k more than the blue book value becuase of the mods while others are much less.

It all depends on the seller, and demand for the car. With a supra I do know mods can add to the value much more than mods to a civic. But on most cars the mods will minimally affect the price (if at all). You will never get full value of the mods you put on it out of it, and it's a good rule of thumb to anticipate 0 return on any mods you add. However depending on the car and mods, it may be worth it for the buyer to spend a little more than the cars value alone. If I were to sell my car right now how it sits I would probably mark it at about 1-1.5k above blue book if I sold it with the wheels on it (but I would probably sell them seperatley). Bottom line the mods are worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay, it just so happens in most cases, that isn't much.

Last edited by push; 04-20-2007 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:26 AM
Brrcats

Originally Posted by push
It all depends on the seller, and demand for the car. With a supra I do know mods add to the value. But on most cars the mods will minimally affect the price (if at all). You will never get full value of the mods you put on it out of it, and it's a good rule of thumb to anticipate 0 return on any mods you add. However depending on the car and mods, it may be worth it for the buyer to spend a little more than the cars value alone. If I were to sell my car right now how it sits I would probably mark it at about 1-1.5k above blue book if I sold it with the wheels. Bottom line the mods are worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay, it just so happens in most cases, that isn't much.
thanks for the feedback all, I appreciate the help.
In this case the car is a Z

are there any particular mods that hold more value than others? I would think that wheels would hold thier value more than say I/E
Old 04-20-2007, 09:09 AM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never pay more for a modified car. The problem with it is that a bank will only loan a certian amount of money for a car. A kid looking for a modified car is not usually going to pay in cash so the car will be financed. I say 2000$ below book is what your looking at selling it. Its better to take everything off of it and return it to stock and sell it like that.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:26 AM
push

Originally Posted by rocks
I would never pay more for a modified car. The problem with it is that a bank will only loan a certian amount of money for a car. A kid looking for a modified car is not usually going to pay in cash so the car will be financed. I say 2000$ below book is what your looking at selling it. Its better to take everything off of it and return it to stock and sell it like that.
The kid may not be able to pay cash for the car, but most transactions I've done he at least put some of his money down and just used the bank to supplement his payment, in which case spending a little more for the mods is possible. I'm not saying it happens a lot or it's easy, but I have sold a modded car for more than book to someone, it's all about what they are willing to spend.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:29 AM
GSoccer24

it depends. i sold my z for what i owed but it had $10k in parts on it at the time, so you could say i lost $10k on the deal. but by selling for what i owed, i got about $1500 over what it was worth. just an example FWIW.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:43 AM
ANXIOUZ

The only mods I would really accept as a bump in the asking price would be the addition of a forced induction system, expensive wheels like Volks, and a super nice stereo setup. Nothing else. But even those could only drive up the price maybe 25% of what they cost the seller originally.

When I bought my car it already had Enkei rims on it. It didn't factor into the dealer's thinking at all and I still got the car at like $5k below KBB. Private sellers are the one's who think their mods demand a price bump. While I agree that it should the reality of KBB values and bank loans moves mods into a gray area.

If you're willing to pay more for what the seller has done, go for it. If not, shop around.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:05 AM
davidf

I would pay relatively more for one that has been done to perfection. I would have to see proof on paper and talk to installers 1st hand before I purchased. Turbo/twin turbo/SC kits are expensive new and expensive to be installed and "tuned right". Nobody wants to but a FI car thats about to blow.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:07 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brrcats
I'm shopping for my Z currently and I've come across a wide variety of cars with different states of being modded.
Well, ask your self these questions. Would YOU pay premium for

1) Parts that the car manufacturer/designer did not intend to be used on the car

2) Parts that were installed by parties that might be completely unqualifed

3) Parts that almost certainly indicate the previous owner raced/abuse/drove the vehicle hard.

I wouldn't touch a used modified vehicle. Cosmetic items like wheels, maybe. Engine mods, not a chance.

bill
Old 04-20-2007, 10:12 AM
phenix

Like most said, it really depends on the mods. Wheels won't get any extra because the (stock) wheels that came off the car probably cost more $$$. Same for intake/exhaust and most standard bolt-on mods. FI and advanced engine work will generally be worth paying extra for, but you have to be careful about the reliability of the car. Any FI system can cause reliability issues if not done and maintained properly and the last thing you'll want to have happen is to pay extra $$$ for a car that's gonna cost you more cash to keep it running if it breaks 2 months down the road.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:34 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How much value does the seller place on mods? Doesnt matter to much. Figure out what, if anything, they are worth to you. Make your best offer.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Larold

Mods rarely help you sell your car fro more than its stock KBB value. Some people are lucky with that. The dealer will most certainly not give you any more money for it. I bought my '03 Track Edition with Nismo Exhaust, Injen Intake, APS Tall Boy Plenum, and Work Wheel S1 Meisters on it for a grand under book value from the dealer.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:50 PM
TurboTrey

I traded in my heavily modified Camaro and I still got KBB for it.

Mods usually aren't worth nearly what you pay for them. Sometimes you can find another person that is really into modding and then you might get your money out of it. Having a few mods on the car might just be a perk instead of a premium.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Ichigo

Originally Posted by Larold
I bought my '03 Track Edition with Nismo Exhaust, Injen Intake, APS Tall Boy Plenum, and Work Wheel S1 Meisters on it for a grand under book value from the dealer.
I think I would nut if I saw that on the lot
Old 04-20-2007, 03:00 PM
350Z_LEE

Davidv said it well. It's whatever they are worth to you. I can assure you this though. A dealer will not give you more for your trade in if it has modifications, sometimes you will get less, but they sure will try to charge more for it having the modifications. The best trade in is a clean, bone stock one.