Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Me vs. my friend (Who is stupid?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Spoolin Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Miko
Wow, double clutching cuts clutch disc life in half. If true, I'll never double clutch again!
Ive double clutched my honda civic on its original clutch for over 100k miles and its still going strong.

G35_TX threw out a random statistic to try and prove his point....reminds me of that saying "87% of all statistics are made up on the spot".

07TouringZ is right, all the information is already laid out and we all have our opinions. Take what you will from the thread, however keep in mind that I've backed up everything I've said with sources.

There's a good chance that you will never experience a synchro problem in your time of ownership, but I like to play it safe and lower that risk from ever occurring by putting in the effort to double clutch my downshifts.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:39 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Spoolin Z is a time traveler from the 1940s!! LOL!
Old 04-29-2007, 10:51 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hraesvelg
I thought it was pointless to double clutch with our tranny?
It is---Iv been building gear boxes for 25 years. Anyone with half an ear can hear their sychros doing their thing and down shift accordingly. If your on the track, jam the gears accordingly also---expect what anyone should if they are tracking.

Yawn >> at the Rocket Science concept of shifting gears, Jeez. If you cant feel in your butt when and how to shift after a couple months of Gear meshing, get an Automatic.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Eazzy

BTW: 65,000 miles on an ( OMG !! Help Help-- BAD TRANNY !!!) 03 with NO trans probs and 50,000 miles since I put in the JWT

Last edited by Eazzy; 04-29-2007 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:59 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by Spoolin Z
Ive double clutched my honda civic on its original clutch for over 100k miles and its still going strong.

G35_TX threw out a random statistic to try and prove his point....reminds me of that saying "87% of all statistics are made up on the spot".

07TouringZ is right, all the information is already laid out and we all have our opinions. Take what you will from the thread, however keep in mind that I've backed up everything I've said with sources.

There's a good chance that you will never experience a synchro problem in your time of ownership, but I like to play it safe and lower that risk from ever occurring by putting in the effort to double clutch my downshifts.
Random statistic? It's a FACT! You on the other hand is spewing so much BS and your a newb to this site you have yet to give anything useful.

Once you finish school let us know. You might actually learn something.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Eazzy

Sometimes you can "Baby" something to death
Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 AM
hardrock905

Spoolin Z....have you noticed that out of all of the posts in this thread, you are the only one that agrees with your opinion?
This should tell you something, don't you think?

Go ahead and double clutch your *** off. Just don't tell others it's the correct way to shift.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:21 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Double clutching is absloutely unneccessary on any modern fully synchronized tranny. And it will NOT extend the life of your tranny. It MIGHT impress your buddies down at the car-wash, but then again...maybe not.

And even though it is absolutely unneccessary, it will NOT do any harm. It will NOT accellerate clutch wear. So if you feel the need to impress yur buddies, (or yourself) just go right ahead and double clutch.

As I previously stated, double clutching in a modern car wth a fully synchronized is a silly old-time practice that is done by people who like to pretend that they are NOT driving a modern car with a fully synchronized tranny. (Some owners really like to believe that driving a manual tranny is a highly skilled procedure...but its not.)

And, BTW, I am old enough to remember when some cars did NOT have synchronized gearboxes.

bill
Old 04-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Spoolin Z

Originally Posted by hardrock905
Spoolin Z....have you noticed that out of all of the posts in this thread, you are the only one that agrees with your opinion?

Go ahead and double clutch your *** off. Just don't tell others it's the correct way to shift.

All the information is out there now, so I'll leave it up to others to form their opinions. It looks like the majority disagrees with me, a small minority has no idea what double clutching actually is and another minority agrees with me.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Eazzy

The last thing I Double Clutched was a 1962 International Harvester 2 Ton truck
Old 04-29-2007, 02:27 PM
I1DER

I double-clutched a girl out of a volkswagon passenger door once. What a beotch. (I was stopped at the time.)

Last edited by I1DER; 04-29-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:31 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hardrock905

Actually, if you read closely I agree with his oppinion as well. I dont think it's necessary to double clutch. I do think double clutching is better for your synchros...how much better? A tiny, tiny, very small, little bit. Is it worth it? probably not for 99.9 percent of people. But technically spoolin is correct.

I for one, have a completely irrational fantasy that someday someone will let me drive their priceless 1950's ferrari. It never hurts to practice.

Last edited by moflow; 04-29-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:33 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

How can you say releasing the clutch and letting it out twice does not accelerate clutch wear compared to doing it once? When it actually does. You have the engine spinning at certain speed. What do you think the clutch disk itself does when it touches the flywheel? It acts like sand paper to spin up to the speed and activate. It wears down a small portion of the disk each time you do this. Yes it DOES accelerate clutch wear, as well as throwout bearing, and pressure plate.

I agree with the rest.

Originally Posted by bailey bill
Double clutching is absloutely unneccessary on any modern fully synchronized tranny. And it will NOT extend the life of your tranny. It MIGHT impress your buddies down at the car-wash, but then again...maybe not.

And even though it is absolutely unneccessary, it will NOT do any harm. It will NOT accellerate clutch wear. So if you feel the need to impress yur buddies, (or yourself) just go right ahead and double clutch.

As I previously stated, double clutching in a modern car wth a fully synchronized is a silly old-time practice that is done by people who like to pretend that they are NOT driving a modern car with a fully synchronized tranny. (Some owners really like to believe that driving a manual tranny is a highly skilled procedure...but its not.)

And, BTW, I am old enough to remember when some cars did NOT have synchronized gearboxes.

bill
Old 04-29-2007, 02:34 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by Spoolin Z
All the information is out there now, so I'll leave it up to others to form their opinions. It looks like the majority disagrees with me, a small minority has no idea what double clutching actually is and another minority agrees with me.
LOL! Take that dream and leave the site.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:37 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G35_TX
How can you say releasing the clutch and letting it out twice does not accelerate clutch wear compared to doing it once? When it actually does. You have the engine spinning at certain speed. What do you think the clutch disk itself does when it touches the flywheel? It acts like sand paper to spin up to the speed and activate. It wears down a small portion of the disk each time you do this. Yes it DOES accelerate clutch wear, as well as throwout bearing, and pressure plate.

I agree with the rest.
I think the idea is that if the clutch and the flywheel are spinning at the same speed so when they touch there is much less friction and thus less wear.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:38 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

If you downshift they are not spinning AT THE SAME SPEED. The engine will be turning faster than the clutch/transmission itself. It will still be double the wear.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:42 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G35_TX
How can you say releasing the clutch and letting it out twice does not accelerate clutch wear compared to doing it once? .
Because the extra clutch cycle occurs in nuetral, and there is no load on the clutch. No load means no wear. It just disengges,a nd re-engages, but since there is no load, there is no slippage.

The only components that actually see any added wear is the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder.

bill
Old 04-29-2007, 02:54 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Okay, I will need to correct myself. I was thinking ahead of myself here. When you double clutch it actually never does it twice because its in neutral one of the times and the 2nd time it engages.
So it only wears onces.

http://www.boostaholic.com/revmatching.html

Good info.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:08 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by moflow
Actually, if you read closely I agree with his oppinion as well. I dont think it's necessary to double clutch. I do think double clutching is better for your synchros...how much better? A tiny, tiny, very small, little bit. Is it worth it? probably not for 99.9 percent of people. But technically spoolin is correct.
BUT double clutching doubles the wear and tear on your HIP JOINT! Dang. You guys (and girls) who are double clutching are risking premature hip disease. I mean is it worth it?
Old 04-29-2007, 03:51 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Excuse me? What is all this double-clutch about?

Last edited by davidv; 04-29-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Me vs. my friend (Who is stupid?)