Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need Suggestion!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:16 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Armitage
Keep the Civic, drive for a couple of more years or into the ground, whichever comes first. Put the the money in a CD or money market account, let it accrue interest, get something nice once your out of college.

Best advice. $10k in a CD or even starting a Roth will be the best thing to do. If I knew what I know now I would have started a Roth when I was 20 years old. If you look at the math there's a huge difference when you start early.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:31 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
Best advice. $10k in a CD or even starting a Roth will be the best thing to do. If I knew what I know now I would have started a Roth when I was 20 years old. If you look at the math there's a huge difference when you start early.
Thats what i did , 31 now and have never owned a new car. I've invested a lot more over the years and will actually be able to retire at an early age. Small price to pay, my first car over $10k i got when i was 24, my z is the most expensive car so far at $20k.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:19 PM
TimeAttkZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you guys keep telling him to "keep his civic and invest the money"... He wants to buy his first car at this time. He has put in his beater car time w/ the old civic and now wants to move foward. Read into the post before you reply. If he wanted investment advice hed go to his accountant .. this is a car enthusiest web site, lets give him the info based on the information set forth.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:07 AM
fr0ng

17 year olds and 300hp dont mix well.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 AM
JunkStory

+111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

at your age you should invest your money in your post secondary education. Don't dick your money away on something that loses value fast.

After graduation, live with mommy but save up for a house down payment.

Find a girlfriend, share the mortgage, then worry about a sports car later.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:18 AM
coreapoc

Originally Posted by JunkStory
+111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

at your age you should invest your money in your post secondary education. Don't dick your money away on something that loses value fast.

After graduation, live with mommy but save up for a house down payment.

Find a girlfriend, share the mortgage, then worry about a sports car later.

Dont live with your mom. Get a good job/college which ever is in your path, and move out and be your own person. DO be smart about your spendings - DONT waste it on women or going out to the bars. Trust me. Buy beer at the grocery store and invite friends over - more fun anyways.

Get a house - get a car - then worry about a girlfriend. Do not share a mortgage/rent with her unless youre positive youll end up marrying her. Moving in with someone without the guarentee or marriage is one of the stupidest and most troublesome mistakes you can make. I should know. I made it twice

Worry about number one and when the time comes number two will be easier to maintain.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:07 AM
incomming

the members posting in here are a joke.
you have beaten the topic of this thread up so bad im beginning to think hes hiring a new accountant or financial advisor. he wanted to know what car to get and why we think that way. didn't ask if he was old enough, didnt ask if he should live with his mom or find a girlfriend and im willing to bet he doesn't need any financial advice.
do your research on the CAR and go from there.
-1 for posting offtopic B.S and bashing teenagers, generalizing them as all the same reckless fools.

and to the guy that posted about how the age directly affects crashes? yah thats true. the younger you are the more likely. but how many of you mid-life crisis guys buy a Z off instinct and then post less than a year later "oops i crashed my z doing stupid **** and forgetting im a grown *** man and supposed to know better."
then find me a post where a 17 yr old said something like that in a Z. kthxbye.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:12 AM
calin
Banned

whats a Roth?
Old 05-01-2007, 08:43 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by hardrock905
Yes. It is a statistical fact that the less driving experience you have, the less likely it is that you will lose control of you vehicle and possibly wreck.
Less driving experience = better driver.
Just look at the insurance premiums based on age, they will back this statistic 110%.
Some states are considering lowering the driving age to 14 to help reduce accidents.
And "Sides", lmao.
UnF'inbelievable.
Which is why i find it hilarious that people want to increase the age that you get your license. Gee...lets move the statistics up so that instead of 16 ~ 18 being 'bad drivers' (due to less experience) the 18 ~ 21 year old group will be... if they get their way someday 30 ~ 32 years old might be the 'dangerous' driving group.
Idiots.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:44 AM
S8ER95Z

Originally Posted by fr0ng
17 year olds and 300hp dont mix well.
I did alright with much more. Can't judge everyone by the statistics.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:24 AM
hardrock905

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Which is why i find it hilarious that people want to increase the age that you get your license. Gee...lets move the statistics up so that instead of 16 ~ 18 being 'bad drivers' (due to less experience) the 18 ~ 21 year old group will be... if they get their way someday 30 ~ 32 years old might be the 'dangerous' driving group.
Idiots.
I was being sarcastic man.
Driving experience AND maturity level play a major role in accidents.
If the driving age were to be raised to 30-32, it is a given that auto accidents would decrease.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:44 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Put all the car models on a seperate piece of paper. Fold up the pieces of paper. Put the pieces of paper in a hat and mix them all up. Pick the car you want most and buy it.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:02 PM
JunkStory

Originally Posted by coreapoc

Dont live with your mom. Get a good job/college which ever is in your path, and move out and be your own person. DO be smart about your spendings - DONT waste it on women or going out to the bars. Trust me. Buy beer at the grocery store and invite friends over - more fun anyways.

Get a house - get a car - then worry about a girlfriend. Do not share a mortgage/rent with her unless youre positive youll end up marrying her. Moving in with someone without the guarentee or marriage is one of the stupidest and most troublesome mistakes you can make. I should know. I made it twice

Worry about number one and when the time comes number two will be easier to maintain.
No one can afford to move out right after graduation unless he's renting. Better off saving for a down payment.

Obviously I meant he should find a girl he would want to marry. Not everyone is bad luck like you sorry
Old 05-01-2007, 12:40 PM
SDFella619

I still havn't gotten a Clean answer? But as in right now, im getting a New WRX. If its not a good choice PLZ tell me what car and why? Plz no more Financial advise.

P.S
I appriecate all ur guys concern for me, about saving money, but i have all that coverd. The 10k i have its all been my Saving money since i was 15.Thx

Last edited by SDFella619; 05-01-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the WRX. The AWD will save your butt.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:05 PM
BallZdeepNYC

Z is my vote but also check out the Acura TL 6mt one of the only other cars i would have considered had i needed the extra room
Old 05-02-2007, 01:12 AM
TimeAttkZ

the members posting in here are a joke.
you have beaten the topic of this thread up so bad im beginning to think hes hiring a new accountant or financial advisor. he wanted to know what car to get and why we think that way. didn't ask if he was old enough, didnt ask if he should live with his mom or find a girlfriend and im willing to bet he doesn't need any financial advice.
do your research on the CAR and go from there.
-1 for posting offtopic B.S and bashing teenagers, generalizing them as all the same reckless fools.

and to the guy that posted about how the age directly affects crashes? yah thats true. the younger you are the more likely. but how many of you mid-life crisis guys buy a Z off instinct and then post less than a year later "oops i crashed my z doing stupid **** and forgetting im a grown *** man and supposed to know better."
+1

and back on topic... get a EVO. It beats the wrx in every aspect. Id rather have a used EVO that is only a year old .. still pracrtically new, rather than wasting the money on a wrx. Or a used STI if you want to stay with subaru.... either way new cars off the lot are pointless unless your buying a high end car. It will only loose like 4 g's after you drive it off the lot. For the same price you could have a much better car. I learned the hard way and just got excited about a new car. Youll be dissapointed you didnt go for it. Excuse my typo's .. im trying tp type in the dark haha.

Last edited by TimeAttkZ; 05-02-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:47 AM
hardrock905

Originally Posted by incomming
1st of all, WTH does buying off of instinct even mean. I have owned a Z before you were born, so it's not instinct, it's the love for a car that I have greatly appreciated before your mommy even birthed you.
And I have not seen a single post where anyone over 30 posted "oops, I crashed my Z doing stupid sh#t".
Teenagers on the other hand, well go thru the site and see how many stupid *** and careless wrecks have taken place from either stupidity and/or lack of driving experience.
Please link to some posts where anyone 30 or over has wrecked there Z doing stupid sh#t.
Good luck in your search.
Just like any other skill, good driving comes from experience. Just because you have a couple of years driving experience in one or two different types of cars, doesn't make you an experienced driver by any means.
And as far as grouping all teenagers together as wreckless fools, don't b#tch at me, ***** at the insurance companies. Who, btw, base their rates on real life statistics. No, not all teens are wreckeless fools, but a far greater majority are than us mid-life crisis guys.
And also. I am not having a mid-life crisis. I didn't suddenly decide one day to sell my volvo wagon and buy a Z, I have owned sports cars thru-out my entire life.
kthxpeaceout.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 AM
Kegsbane

Originally Posted by hardrock905
Teenagers on the other hand, well go thru the site and see how many stupid *** and careless wrecks have taken place from either stupidity and/or lack of driving experience.
Please link to some posts where anyone 30 or over has wrecked there Z doing stupid sh#t.
Good luck in your search.
Just like any other skill, good driving comes from experience. Just because you have a couple of years driving experience in one or two different types of cars, doesn't make you an experienced driver by any means.
And as far as grouping all teenagers together as wreckless fools, don't b#tch at me, ***** at the insurance companies. Who, btw, base their rates on real life statistics. No, not all teens are wreckeless fools, but a far greater majority are than us mid-life crisis guys.
And also. I am not having a mid-life crisis. I didn't suddenly decide one day to sell my volvo wagon and buy a Z, I have owned sports cars thru-out my entire life.
kthxpeaceout.
+1

It's not just what you do behind the wheel. It's the fact that as a teenager you are prone to do stupid ****. It's pretty much a law of nature. You can deny this up and down, and tell me how great and responsible you are, but you can't deny the fact that you are seventeen. Thus, you are inexperienced and prone to doing stupid ****. I'm sure you will deny this up and down. It's okay, I expect that.

The thing is, you're not getting the answer you want. When that happens, you instantly recoil and lash out at the source of the unpleasantness, without first deciding if the unpleasant thought might be a correct one. If you can look at the question beyond just getting the answer you want and expect, and view it objectively, you will see that this is about the dumbest thing you can do at this point in your life. A brand-new sports car should be so far down your priority list right now that to even discuss it is laughable.

Don't forget all of us old fogies (I'm 26, I guess I don't fit into either of the two convenient categories here) once were teenagers, and maybe we actually know what we're talking about. Your job is great until you lose it. Your roommates are awesome until they steal half your **** and move to another state, leaving two months of unpaid rent. There are so many things that can happen during the years and years that you will be making payment after payment to both your insurance company, the bank, AND the gas stations that it will eat you alive unless you can afford it.

Buy a slightly used Civic SI. It's plenty enough car for you.

Better yet, get a last-generation Accord with 100k+ on the odo. on the cheap, and keep saving your money. I did hear correctly that you are putting your entire life savings into just the down payment?

You will regret that decision. It's not a hypothesis, it's a guarantee.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:44 AM
ezramoore

Don't buy a NEW car. I laugh at you, you're going to be in debt before you turn 18

Quick Reply: Need Suggestion!!!!!!!