Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z Insurance... Yowch! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Morningglorie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be very careful of e-surance. They have a terrible reputation for not paying off. I think there were some posts about it here on the forum someplace.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Zmazing03

Read your post again. Anyone who chooses to own a car over becoming a homeowner obviously sat on that short bus as a kid
Maybe you should get a damn reality a check.

A new Z costs $30k. A lousy condo cost $200k, and you have to come up with at least 10-20% down, which is 10-20k in CASH. Give me a freaking break.

He isn't buying a damn Ferrari, he is buying a Nissan Z.

I agree he should fix the debt first, but owning a home before a car? Are you on crack?
Old 05-04-2007, 06:07 AM
marhot

Originally Posted by davidv
You are not prepared for a 350Z or any other vehicle. Pay-off the loans. Save for a significant down payment. Get your financial house in order.
+1

No offense, but these type of threads crack me up. Oh to be young and stupid again.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:50 PM
realcom2

The best thing I did to help my insurance rate was to get married. Now it canceled my ability to pick up women but it did drop my 6 month premium from a little under $1200 to a little over $600. I was 27 when I got married.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:03 PM
ldawg32

well i have a perfect record and i was paying 3800 a yr for full coverage when i first bought my z at age 23. that was the lowest i was quoted from any insurance company. the first quote i got was 7000 a year lololol. now i pay 2300 for the year and im 27 now. NY insurance is rediculous. i dont understand how everyone else is oaying so little for insurance it makes me sick.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:19 PM
gotbooost

Originally Posted by ldawg32
well i have a perfect record and i was paying 3800 a yr for full coverage when i first bought my z at age 23. that was the lowest i was quoted from any insurance company. the first quote i got was 7000 a year lololol. now i pay 2300 for the year and im 27 now. NY insurance is rediculous. i dont understand how everyone else is oaying so little for insurance it makes me sick.
how's your driving record? seems like in CA points matter a lot. I always heard 25 is some magical year where insurance is supposed to drop-didn't happen to me at the time b/c of all the points i had on my record.

before my points dropped off i was paying > 2grand/year for my z! now its less than half of that.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:20 PM
ArrumnDark

Originally Posted by ldawg32
Living in the middle of nowhere, insurance is usually a bit less (for now), than living in a city.

Getting married to get cheaper insurance on a car that may attract women?
Madness :P

Not that i want a Z for that purpose - I wouldn't mind getting married if I could find the right woman!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:28 PM
zeekle

Originally Posted by ArrumnDark
I just can't shake the feeling of it being better to have fun before drudgery.

Saving for a house would be depressing! Driving a ho-hum car for years on end, just to spend all that on a house... then continue driving that ho-hum car for years more, to finally get a nice car... Seems unnecessary.
It will help in the long run, sure. What if I die before that? :P

I'd rather have a nice car right away... some years to pay that off... then years of saving (but having a nice car this time), then a house.
Ultimately, I will pay more in the long run. But that's the way quick service works!
If you want to take a flight (or have some work done, or whatever) "sometime," you can get a much better price than if you want it NOW.

Plus, in the event that I die early, I will have already been experiencing the fun part, not waiting for it.

Like eating dessert before dinner, only over a much wider time frame :P

I know... don't buy what you can't pay for.
I can pay for it without min/maxing the budget, so I am comfortable.
If something changes in a year, my decision may also change.

Thank you for the insurance suggestions, I've much lower quotes, soon to be rates, for the GA now, and the Z later.

Also, thank you for the financial advice!
I'm not really heeding it, but at least I'm not getting a bike? :P

I guess it depends on each person, their situation, and their goals.

Thanks!
The thing is houses are going up in value all the time. That means if you don't have one and you wait to buy it is going to cost you more to buy later than it would be to buy now.

But hey it is your life do what you want. I will tell you from experience though that the longer you wait the harder it is.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:52 PM
ldawg32

Originally Posted by gotbooost
how's your driving record? seems like in CA points matter a lot. I always heard 25 is some magical year where insurance is supposed to drop-didn't happen to me at the time b/c of all the points i had on my record.

before my points dropped off i was paying > 2grand/year for my z! now its less than half of that.

zero points on my record perfectly clean. 3 safety drivers courses. my insurance went down a lot when i hit 25. it went down like 1200 a year. i cant understand it. i dont see why its so high. i still try to get quotes and they are no lower than what im paying now. it sucks
Old 05-04-2007, 02:11 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Just a few hours ago, I reinstated Z's insurance back to full coverage (was in storage since December) incl $100 comp. and coll. deductibles and the total will be $92/mo. 28 y.o. w/ excellent record. State Farm.

You seem to "want it all" although you will be heard-pressed to afford. Not very smart if you ask me.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:46 PM
K2bordr03

Last edited by K2bordr03; 05-28-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:59 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Reading this thread just reminded me why I didn't buy a new Z when I was younger.

There are a lot of good used Z's out there that won't break the bank.
Sold this one last year for $3500:

However:
Insurance is twice that for a 2 seat sports car than a four seater. You might want to look at a Firebird / Mustang for reduced insurance rates. I think that is why younger people tend to go that way.... Insurance cost. I did. I don't regret it either. They are powerful and fast cars too!! They are now getting close to the mileage that the Z gets as well these days with V8 power.

Oh look, I still own one.....

You can pick one of these up for 1/3 of the price of a Z in great shape!

If it was me. I'd sell the GA, Buy a T/A and save for a house. Then when you get in the house. Save for the Z a few years and pay cash for it.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
Reading this thread just reminded me why I didn't buy a new Z when I was younger.

There are a lot of good used Z's out there that won't break the bank.
Sold this one last year for $3500:

However:
Insurance is twice that for a 2 seat sports car than a four seater. You might want to look at a Firebird / Mustang for reduced insurance rates. I think that is why younger people tend to go that way.... Insurance cost. I did. I don't regret it either. They are powerful and fast cars too!! They are now getting close to the mileage that the Z gets as well these days with V8 power.

Oh look, I still own one.....

You can pick one of these up for 1/3 of the price of a Z in great shape!

If it was me. I'd sell the GA, Buy a T/A and save for a house. Then when you get in the house. Save for the Z a few years and pay cash for it.

My point is you can still have a great looking car that fits your budget.

My buddies actually still like the Bird the best. They love the bang for the buck you get.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:34 AM
K2bordr03

Last edited by K2bordr03; 05-28-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:25 AM
alextothestars

Originally Posted by davidv
You are not prepared for a 350Z or any other vehicle. Pay-off the loans. Save for a significant down payment. Get your financial house in order.
+1.

if thats what it takes for the dog to bite. youll get a better interest rate anyway.

Originally Posted by zdriver
I think that is why younger people tend to go that way.... Insurance cost. I did. I don't regret it either.
thats a good plan as well. dont give anymore money to the man than you have to.

lol, but keep in mind that the firebirds of old were much better built machines than the 4th gens. GM has gone down hill.

the Z33s have MUCH better handling in comparison to the older Zs, but the firebirds/camaros have gotten worse. the big three have lost their passion and vision.

Last edited by alextothestars; 05-05-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:44 AM
alextothestars

that feeling of decadence you've had? thats a TOOL used by commerce to make you buy things you need. i guarantee you'll race an evo, get beat, and then you'll be on the evo forum trying to pay off your camaro, grand am, and your 350z so that you can get an evo...

another thing about insurance prices...

keep in mind that all of the older folks that are paying $100 a month full coverage for an srt-8 charger probably learned to drive in the ORIGINAL charger with 300+ horsepower and paid half as much to insure it.
insurance is a scam, but you cant gamble on driving without it.

you're going to be paying $750 a month for a car. hope you have a back up car for winter. im in the same boat, but i got my trusty 92 maxima for when i need to haul stuff or get around in the snow.

i know one guy that easily afforded his Z. very intelligent guy, too. hes a natural asian dude from chicago. went with the Z because he said "i was going through a midlife crisis. my mx-6 kept getting beat by new GT-mustang and i had all of the bolt ons. corvette made me look puny. so i bought this 350z because its made for my people and it's dead even with the mustangs, but its very impractical. I can't put my kids in the back, I can't get anywhere in the snow."

He now drives a new altima se. just think about the future, if you're still sexually permiscuous...lol.

a newer stock maxima or altima will run mid 14s in the quarter mile all day, even the autos. 350zs are only a second quicker stock, at best.

ill admit the 350z is a ***** wagon, but think about that deposit:

my pops had a 1979 trans am with a pontiac 400 6.6 (1 of 100 made) and then he got my mom pregnant and the ***** wagon/monster burnout machine didnt matter during his 14-year divorce. he trashed the 4 speed tranny and had to get rid of it. he drove a dodge daytona after that...mom got t-boned at an intersection...her fault, then a nissan sentra, then a POS buick delta 88, then a 3rd gen z28 that got repoed because he couldnt afford it, filed bankruptcy, then he drove a 1985 oldsmobile "crown vic" looking thing that was lucky to start, then an 86 lincoln town car, and then an 87 jaguar jx-7. then my parents divorced...my mom took the jag, of course and it started having problems. my dad bought a 92 cougar and killed the tranny, then he bought a 96 cougar (that thing was a dog...slowwww) and then they repoed moms jaguar and tacked it on to my dad, so now hes paying that off still and driving a 2000 nissan maxima living in an apartment and he makes 50k a year....

learn from his mistakes, as i have!!!

Last edited by alextothestars; 05-05-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Korki Buchek

The best advice I have ever been given about cars: "If you can't afford to pay cash for it, you can't afford it." That advice came from a 65 year old multi-millionaire. It's served me well. When I got the Z, could I have afforded the payments on an '07? Probably. Do I have six-digit student loans, and a ****ty apartment that I want to get out of as soon as possible? Absolutely. What does that mean? I got something that didn't take any paper money.

Debt is like a coke habit, once you get in, it's a sonofa***** to get out. Here's a little story: Last week I got a call from my friend I haven't talked to in almost a year. He's doing well, making about $80k as a consultant. He's driving a slightly used Porsche Turbo. Lives in a big 1-bedroom apartment (about $1200/mo). Then he tells me that he has to wait for payday every month so that he can buy groceries and gas, he's barely making the minimum payments on his $13,000 in credit card debt, his insurance is up in two months and he doesn't know how he's going to come up with the money, &c., &c.. Oh, and by the way, he promised to take his girlfriend to Maui in two weeks and he doesn't know what to do.

The moral of the story: don't buy things that you can't afford.

KB -- Grown man talk.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:01 PM
twotonetrack

House of cards