Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

How forgiving is the clutch on the Z. Newbie here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 04:36 PM
Alano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How forgiving is the clutch on the Z. Newbie here.

Hopefully when I pick up a Z sometime soon its going to be a M/T. I know the concept and have driven manual for short distances. How forgiving and easy is it to learn on the Z? Thanks guys.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:39 PM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alano
How forgiving and easy is it to learn on the Z? Thanks guys.
Not difficult.

But yu will only learn it in the driver's seat, not on a message board.

bill
Old 05-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say it is harsh compared to other clutches, but after a week or so it is like you were born with it.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:44 PM
DRFTER_Z

Originally Posted by bailey bill
Not difficult.

But yu will only learn it in the driver's seat, not on a message board.

bill
exactly...... buy and learn good luck
Old 05-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Alano

Yeah thinking about buying it. Dont know if I want non leather or leather. Enthusiast is significantly cheaper then a Touring. Would it be cheaper to just have aftermarket leather installed?
Old 05-04-2007, 05:32 PM
I1DER

It is possible to screw any clutch up by abusing it. Not likely to wear it out in the short time it takes to learn. Learn the principles and you should be OK. Don't ride the clutch IE. when you are not shifting, keep your foot on the dead pedal...that's what it is for.

After market leather will not give you the heated, electric powered seats with more adjustments than non-powered. The electric is especially nice for controlling the passenger seat to access behind it or easier access to the storage box while sitting in the drivers seat.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:33 PM
realcom2

the dealer taught me so I could drive it home. only got 8700 miles after 2 years so cant tell just yet how much I may have worn my clutch learning but I try my hardest never to ride my clutch. learning to start without using gas in 1st is good practice to learn your catch.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:02 PM
MeetJoeAsian

Originally Posted by realcom2
the dealer taught me so I could drive it home. only got 8700 miles after 2 years so cant tell just yet how much I may have worn my clutch learning but I try my hardest never to ride my clutch. learning to start without using gas in 1st is good practice to learn your catch.
WHAT??? I hope you are not doing that to get going everytime you're at a dead stop....I put close to 20k in my car the first year...lemme break your car in for you....
Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 PM
GG06Si

^no hes right, its best to find where your friction point is and familiarize with it. Best method is at a stop, engage first gear and practice releasing clutch until friction point is felt.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:37 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy to learn on Z. Taught my son on my Z with no damage to the Z or his psyche.

Leather, imo, is a detail. Get the Enthusiast.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:44 PM
kedz

Default Side curtain air bags.

One of those features which is really good to have and you hope never to need. Consider getting the option. I don't care much for the Leather in my Touring, but I like the seat height adjustments.

Oh yeah, and I learned on my Z. I would say it is pretty forgiving. Lots of power to compensate for releasing the clutch too quickly. My advice is that if you stall remain calm... it is not a problem. Just start the engine and drive on.

Last edited by kedz; 05-04-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Alano

Well im decent enough to the point where I dont stall, and I've gotten into 3rd gear, but we were at a school parking lot so I never went above that, but Im guessing its the same concept.

Now to decide if I should take the Z or the Rx8. Both great cars. Im just worried about one thing in the Z, I heard they have pretty bad blind spots and its hard to see out the rear window? Can anyone chime in on this?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:37 PM
polojal

i drove an m/t eclipse before my Z and i didnt realize how much easier it was. i thought it was normal, then i got used to the smaller friction point on the Z. i drove the eclipse the other day and it was incredibly easy to get smooth gear shifts. i guess thats the difference. its not so hard to get the Z in gear, but it can be a little frustrating to have totally smooth N->1 and 1->2 shifts. i still mess those up and i've had the car for 7 mos. now.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:44 PM
zstreet86

its pretty damn forgivivng
Old 05-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Originally Posted by sean1967
I would say it is harsh compared to other clutches, but after a week or so it is like you were born with it.
+1 - They engage a little higher than most. I modified it to engage lower and it made all the difference in the world.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:26 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The transmission and clutch are very forgiving. Torque is a asset. No need for constant downshifting just to accelerate.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:32 AM
gsazabi

Like others said, Z's a very easy car to learn/pratice stick. Z's stock clutch also allows quite a bit of slippage.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:51 AM
cablazn

+1 - the clutch in this car is sooo much nicer than other m/t cars ive driven. its definately "heavier" than other clutchs (but i love it! reminds me of my friend's skyline r32 gtr in canada). although i learned in a ghetto car at first, i felt that i didnt "truly master" the basics (i got room to improve) until i hopped into the Z...the torque is definately an asset.

blind spots? yea...so what. means u gotta try to be more aware...or jus get the concave(?) mirrors n u should be fine. but reversing is a pain in the a$$ sometimes...but who cares, its a sports car! >> its meant to go foreward >>
Old 05-05-2007, 08:17 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Yes on blind spots but easy to get used to. Not a reason to pass on a Z.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:29 AM
ZCARBANDIT
Banned

Originally Posted by Alano
Well im decent enough to the point where I dont stall, and I've gotten into 3rd gear, but we were at a school parking lot so I never went above that, but Im guessing its the same concept.

Now to decide if I should take the Z or the Rx8. Both great cars. Im just worried about one thing in the Z, I heard they have pretty bad blind spots and its hard to see out the rear window? Can anyone chime in on this?
its easy to see out of the rear glass. and as far as the z or rx-8 i have driven both and the rx-8 felt like a dog. flimsy paddle shift setup on the wheel and the low torque made it feel like it was going no where. the rx-7 on the otherhand is a great car. stick with the z.

Quick Reply: How forgiving is the clutch on the Z. Newbie here.