2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

just took a test drive of the S2000

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2002, 12:47 AM
BullishZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by PhantomRacer

A real profound statement.

We have a TT (225 Quattro Roadster). Wouldn't trade it for the world. The S2K is a great car. We didn't get it because it was smaller inside. The TT is a far more drivable car for daily use, IMO.

I'm considering a second sports car (since my wife drives the TT daily). Thinking about a second TT, S2K, or 350Z. Probably get second TT.

I have nothing bad to say about the 350Z, S2k, etc. They are both fine cars. They, perhaps can be called 'Better' if you look at the stats on the cars. But you drive a car, you don't drive stats.

'Better' (vs S2K) to us was: Quattro. More room inside. Seat comfort. Creature comforts. Stereo. Factory installed alarm. High quality materials, inside and out -no chrome plated plastic-metal is metal. Leather is leather. These may not be important to everyone, but it was to us. 0-60 times are not everything. Not everyone lives at a racetrack.

The TT isn't for everyone. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Making fun of someone else's choice, well, just isn't nice.

Paul S
Don't take it to heart, Paul.

We just recently had a thread talking about TT's and how the owner of the TT described his car as being "cute." I think it was an inside joke... He wasn't trying to be rude.

I must admit though... The TT is for women! J/K
Old 09-29-2002, 09:08 PM
Jason

Originally posted by Daytona
According to my friend (owns a silverstone S2000), they change paint every year, so while they may always have silver, it's a different shade or type of silver every year. So each particular color has only one year of production. And according to Honda.com, they still have the yellow version available.
There are only two shades of silver on the S2000. Silverstone and Sebring Silver.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:10 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a quick comparison from a 350Z owner who's driven a friend's S2000 on some well known mountain roads. Keep in mind that I do not have any track experience and therefore was probably driving both cars at 8/10.

I found the S2000 to be more skittish than the Z, especially when switching between brakes and throttle. I when braking, the front would turn in steadily, but as I applied the throttle, the car seemed to shift towards slight understeer (parhaps because I was not ready to drive a friends car above 7K RPM). This skittishness was slightly unsettling at first, but after I got used to it it made the car feel a little more responsive and communicative.

I think I am driving the Z at about the same speeds as I was driving the S2000, and it feels quite a bit smoother through the corners and the transition between brake and throttle. At the same time, the extra weight is apparent but so is extra solidity. Plus, the engine is so sweet, and I haven't even passed the break in period yet. The Z is also much quieter and roomier, and therfore perhaps, a better daily driver, although the road noise is very apparent. I love both cars, and if I liked the convertable as much as you, I would probably own an S2000 instead of the Z (well, the decision would have been more difficult at least). Like S2KRob, I am a huge Nissan fan, so the Z was a no brainer for me. The S2000 is awesome too though, and (at least until next year) I can't think of any other convertible with more sports car value.

-D'oh!
Old 09-30-2002, 08:02 AM
m477

Personally, I think that if you're really want a convertible, the stook is definitely the way to go. At 3200lbs the 350z coupe is pretty heavy to begin with (the car's only real liability IMO). The convertible will be about 3400-3500lbs which is definitely WAY too heavy to feel nimble and sporty. That's fine if you want a crusier like a Lexus SC430, but it's not really a sports car.

As for the TT, the interior is really nice, but it's $40k+ for a rebaged VW Golf that weighs 3500lbs, has an outdated strut suspension, and is built in Turkey. Not a flame, just the truth.
Old 09-30-2002, 08:08 AM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by m477
The convertible will be about 3400-3500lbs
Are you just making this up or did you get this from somewhere?
Old 09-30-2002, 08:43 AM
digerydingo

I had my heart set on the S2000. I had checked it out for months, test driven it, monitored the community. I still think it's an amazing car with a great online community and good aftermarket products. I'm also 6'4" and although it was a tight fit as soon as you start operating the controls it was fine. Maybe I'm to used to squeezing into formula cars on the weekends though, shoeboxes have more room sometimes.

The main factors for me deciding to get the 350Z are 1) price. I would have gotten the hard top for the S2000 because of weather here, and the track option for the 350Z is still $10,000CDN cheaper then an S with hardtop. 2) potential. The S2000 is an amazingly fun and spectacular car, but is tunned so well from the factory that you would have to spend lots of dough for little gain. I love the aftermarket and see more potential in the 350Z package. 3) Honda dealers. B.C. car dealers are the worst in Canada and probably all of NA. On most indexes B.C.'s new car dealers rate lower then other provinces used car lots. So when a Honda dealers get a car that is $20,000CDN more expensive then anything else in the show room they tend to power trip a little too much for my liking. 4) color. It's bad enough that Honda doesn't offer NA dealers the same colors as the Japanese or European models but to shaft Canada into only 4 colors for the S, WTF! The two colors I would have liked are yellow and white, nither of which are available in Canada but are in the US. Those cars probably land in our ports before they are trainned or trucked to the various dealers in the US, so why don't they let us have the same ones.

So when the 350 came along I didn't much care for the styling or size but could pass up the price/performance prediction. Whe the actual numbers came out I was impressed and began looking more and more into the car and as soon as I got to see the car in person I put my order in. I've grown fond of the car now and can't wait for mine to come in. Props to the S drivers, great car but I can't wait to get my 350Z!
Old 09-30-2002, 09:45 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

Originally posted by m477
Personally, I think that if you're really want a convertible, the stook is definitely the way to go. At 3200lbs the 350z coupe is pretty heavy to begin with (the car's only real liability IMO). The convertible will be about 3400-3500lbs which is definitely WAY too heavy to feel nimble and sporty. That's fine if you want a crusier like a Lexus SC430, but it's not really a sports car.

As for the TT, the interior is really nice, but it's $40k+ for a rebaged VW Golf that weighs 3500lbs, has an outdated strut suspension, and is built in Turkey. Not a flame, just the truth.
Here we go again. Saying a car is not a sports car because it weighs 3400 pounds is ludicrous. Look at the weight of cars by Ferrari, Lamborghini, and even some Porsches: are they not sports cars?
Old 09-30-2002, 09:49 AM
m477

Originally posted by ToddLuc
Are you just making this up or did you get this from somewhere?
Well, Nissan hasn't announced any stats for the convertible yet, but if you look at cars that start out with a fixed roof and later came out with a chop-top, they generally gain about 200lbs or so.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:51 AM
m477

Originally posted by z350z
Look at the weight of cars by Ferrari, Lamborghini, and even some Porsches: are they not sports cars?
No, they're not sports cars. They're Grand Touring (GT) cars.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:17 AM
m477

Originally posted by PhantomRacer
That is not quite the case. Calling it a Golf is like calling a Cadillac a Geo Metro. Not quite the same. Sure there are similarities since they are the same company, but that is where the similarities end. I thought the TT was based on the A3, but I could be wrong.
Your analogy doesn't make any sense because there aren't any Cadillacs that share the same platform as a Geo. However, the VW Golf, Beetle, Jetta, and Audi A3 and TT are all the same platform. They are all the same car under the skin. IMO, the problem with the TT is that they take a platform that was engineered to be a $15k econobox, slap a fancy logo on it, and charge $40k for it. Sure, the fit and finish is really nice, but if you look underneath, you will see a lot parts that don't justify the $40k price tag.

But then again, I don't really care. Why does it matter anyway? The Cadillac EXT is based on the Chevy Avalanche. Does that make the Caddy a piece of **** cuz it is based on a Chevy?
Well, first off, I never called anything a piece of ****. But the EXT is overpriced for what you are getting.

It is assembled in Gyor, Hungary by the way.
Yes, you are right. My bad.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:47 AM
Chris S

I’ll throw in my $.02 that the S2000 is a great alternative. After 1 ½ year/nearly 18K miles of ownership, I love mine more than the day I got it. More than any other car that comes to mind, getting one is like building a relationship. It’s so different from most cars that I’d suspect very few people know how to get optimal performance from it in the beginning. Learn to take advantage of its nuances (6-9K rpm power hit, balanced handling attitude easily adjusted w/ the throttle, etc.), however, and it’s a wonderfully fun and fast sports car.

I have yellow, and love it…shy people need not apply. Silverstone is back for ’03, and this is the color I’d prob. pick if I were to buy another one.

W/o knowing much if anything about the Z convertible, I’m guessing the sporting experience will be significantly diminished vs. the coupe. More weight, more body flex, and I doubt the Track package will be offered in the conv.

Here’s how I would choose:
Best daily driver: 350Z coupe
Best weekend/after work play toy: S2000
Best daily driver if it has to be a conv.: 350Z conv.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:15 PM
Want-a-Z

Can't say I've driven a new S2000, but if they're anything like
my friend's (two years old?) you have to REALLY wind up the
tach to get any real torque. Now the Z, on the other hand,
gives you great torque across a very wide range -- you don't
have to sound like you're on a racing bike when you leave
everybody behind at a light (and the Z is much easier to launch without destroying your clutch!)

Just wish I had mine...