Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 06:01 PM
Korki Buchek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This will hopefully be the final update. The car is now resting safely with my local mechanic. We did a full on walk around, and I am waiting for the final body shop estimate now. When I finally got the car out and took some time to look at it, they did bang it up pretty seriously. It looks like a bunch of scrapes and scratches and dents everywhere.

There are scratches ranging from hairline scratches to full on missing metal (or plastic on the bumpers) gouges on pretty much every panel of the car. The wheels are completely scraped to hell (both curb rash and inside the lip) and dented into the rim. There are also pretty good-sized chunks taken out of 3 or 4 of the sidewalls, it's a good thing I didn't drive it much.

They clearly hit something with the front bumper -- this gets me the worst, just looks like they ran over something. It wasn't even on the side like they tried to avoid it. Dead center front bumper. The rear bumper is gouged pretty seriously.

The interior is all covered in fingerprint dust and scrapped up. And they stole my fxxxing shift ****, which I put on literally 5 days before. They stole a bunch of personal items from inside, most memorably, my little notebook with sketches and musings (this also really bothers me) and a yo-yo.

I guess insurance sent an "Appraiser" out to inspect it while it was at WCN. They have basically been giving me a hard time since it happened. On the phone the adjuster keeps trying to get me to "use a preferred shop" which I told her no to about 5 to 6 times. I confronted her about it over the phone and she finally dropped it. Then, as soon as their appraiser looked at the car and took from 4-5 pictures (from what WCN tells me), she calls me to close the claim. I asked her what the estimate was and she said "It's not in our system yet, but I can look it up on the computer." Anyhow, hopefully now that I have all of the receipts for all of the personal items (and cash, damn graduation gifts) in the car that were stolen, it should be the end of the story.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:13 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can't believe they would *** up every part of the body. people are vicious.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:51 PM
Korki Buchek

It wasn't even vicious. I would be less upset if they had intentionally vandalized the car. It's just the outright lack of respect such as driving over stuff in a sports car, hitting things with the doors hard enough to leave deep pitted scratches down to the metal, curbing the wheels bad enough to dent the rims and cut pieces out of the sidewall, etc, etc.

When I got a little unnoticeable scrape on the car I was mad at myself for a week.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:23 PM
VENOMSZ

That sucks man.
I hope everything works out well.
Good luck.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:52 PM
RichEdward

Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
When I got a little unnoticeable scrape on the car I was mad at myself for a week.
that sums up 99% of the mindset of these people here. good luck with the rest of it. mosh yourself out of a ****ty situation...
Old 05-31-2007, 09:47 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

It wasn't even vicious. I would be less upset if they had intentionally vandalized the car. It's just the outright lack of respect such as driving over stuff in a sports car, hitting things with the doors hard enough to leave deep pitted scratches down to the metal, curbing the wheels bad enough to dent the rims and cut pieces out of the sidewall, etc, etc.
but.....that IS intentional vandalization. if a person isn't active and careful to avoid damaging the car, if he in fact intentionally drives over crap, hits potholes at breakneck speeds, slams the doors into every wall and pole... that person is intentionally damaging the car. and that's vicious.
a simple joyride is one thing... causing damage to every part of the body of the car is another.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:14 AM
Korki Buchek

I suppose you're right. If you do that much damage to a car without actually crashing it, you're an a**hole.

I can sense a long dispute with insurance, which I do not look forward to.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Z-T

If my car is ever stolen, I pray that it'll never be found again.
My sister's 4Runner was stolen last year. Not only was it a horrible experience, but when they (unfortunately) did find it/return it to her, it was in near totalled condition. It was so disgusting she simply had to sell it at a huge loss.
There's a reason insurance companies have all the resources, $ and capital in the world. I doubt the adjuster would want his own car returned if it were in that kind of condition.
Sorry you're going through this
Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 AM
SargentZ

Funny story: a friend of mines wife drives a mini van and works downtown in not so freindly areas. Came out of work one day to her car stolen, recovered it a week later and get this, the whole interior was covered with half-eatin chicken wings and sauce slung all over the interior. its like they got a bucket of chicken, drove around eatin it and threw the bones ' in the back' it cost my buddy 4000 in detailing and interior replacement. He still swears he smells hot wing sauce sometimes.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Fletch69z

That sucks, sorry to hear it...
Old 06-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Richy350Z

This will hopefully be the final update. The car is now resting safely with my local mechanic. We did a full on walk around, and I am waiting for the final body shop estimate now. When I finally got the car out and took some time to look at it, they did bang it up pretty seriously. It looks like a bunch of scrapes and scratches and dents everywhere.

There are scratches ranging from hairline scratches to full on missing metal (or plastic on the bumpers) gouges on pretty much every panel of the car. The wheels are completely scraped to hell (both curb rash and inside the lip) and dented into the rim. There are also pretty good-sized chunks taken out of 3 or 4 of the sidewalls, it's a good thing I didn't drive it much.

They clearly hit something with the front bumper -- this gets me the worst, just looks like they ran over something. It wasn't even on the side like they tried to avoid it. Dead center front bumper. The rear bumper is gouged pretty seriously.

The interior is all covered in fingerprint dust and scrapped up. And they stole my fxxxing shift ****, which I put on literally 5 days before. They stole a bunch of personal items from inside, most memorably, my little notebook with sketches and musings (this also really bothers me) and a yo-yo.

I guess insurance sent an "Appraiser" out to inspect it while it was at WCN. They have basically been giving me a hard time since it happened. On the phone the adjuster keeps trying to get me to "use a preferred shop" which I told her no to about 5 to 6 times. I confronted her about it over the phone and she finally dropped it. Then, as soon as their appraiser looked at the car and took from 4-5 pictures (from what WCN tells me), she calls me to close the claim. I asked her what the estimate was and she said "It's not in our system yet, but I can look it up on the computer." Anyhow, hopefully now that I have all of the receipts for all of the personal items (and cash, damn graduation gifts) in the car that were stolen, it should be the end of the story.

That sucks bro, I would not live happily if my Z got stolen and as it seems taken for a hell of a joy ride....

your insurance is trying hard to direct you to one of their shop because saves them a couple thousands. you sound like your insuranced by us lol. we do the same thing, they even have a contest right now to see who can get the most insureds/claimants into preferred shops.

who are you insured by? it's probably us! haha
Old 06-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Korki Buchek

I'm not naming any names.

Today my family calls and tells me they got a settlement check for less than 1/6th of the total claim that says "paid in full." It basically covers my out of pocket expenses for towing, inspection and then one wheel and tire.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:34 AM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

oh my jesus christ, what a rip-off. all this money we pay for insurance, for that peace of mind, and you get that?
i'm so sorry
Old 06-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Korki Buchek

I just realize I'm in for fight with the insurance company. And it's a really big, really well known insurance company, which makes me wonder why they would pull something like this. I was told that if I cash the check it kills all future claims I would have against insurance.

This basically sent me off the handle. The adjustor knows that I wouldn't cash the check myself because I know the legal aspect of doing so. So she sends it to my family and then when I call to complain she leaves me a voicemail that says "why are you upset at us sending you money, I don't understand why you're mad." So, I sent a very angry email which said: a) I'm sending back your check; b) transfer my file to another adjustor; c) notify your supervisor that we have a dispute; and d) if you try to pull this **** again we'll take our 27 years of insurance coverage somewhere else.