Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Lemon Law Results!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Bevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nalizan
I am curious. How did the tech check the oil at the arbitration ? did the dipstick show it as 1qt low or did they have to drain it and test ?

I have put about 2000 miles on my 06 Z so far. I checked the level a couple times along the way via the dipstick and have noticed no change in level (both times when car had not been driven over night). I am just wondering if this is an acurate enough test or if all 06s should just be brought in for a consumption test?

Anyways sorry to hijack the thread. I am glad you won the arbitration and received compensated for your car!
As long as oil is in between H and L mark you are fine. If lower than L, dealer will do consumption test, and they will drain and measure how much oil you burned.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Hustler904

Glad to hear it worked out for you,I thought they were just gonna put in a new motor for you. Keep in touch cause I'm gonna have to start driving my z more to see if its consuming oil,if it is I'm taking it to the same dealership just to see the look on they're faces.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:39 PM
rockinbboy

congrats on winning the case!
Old 05-13-2007, 04:44 PM
michaeljr6

nissan quality is the suxor
Old 05-13-2007, 05:14 PM
I1DER

Glad to hear you will still be hanging around the forum Bofa. Keep the avatar. It is a good reminder for people to check their oil and as much as you liked the Z, that particular vehicle was really a 2 stroke. I've not heard of a worse consumption problem.

I'm curious on the buy back. Did they take off for mileage? Did they consider the acquisition costs like taxes? How about the actual costs of oil, changes and inspections/maintenance? Any depreciation deduction at all?

The second question is what has been mentioned. What was Nissan NA position at the arbitration? How could it have been anything but a clear cut issue with the rate of consumption that you were having? Didn't seem like there was a gray area with your case.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Ky Z

Originally Posted by cessna
So they buy the car back from you. What do they do after that? Pass on a lemon to another unsuspecting customer?
When I was shopping for my Z one of the local Nissan dealerships had an 03 lemon buy back on their lot. It was clearly labeled as a lemon buy back due to state and perhaps federal law, can't remember which. The salesman tried to push it on me saying that after it had been bought back that Nissan had competely rehauled the entire car to fix any problems and it was in a sense a brand new car. I chuckled and kept on walking down the line of Z's...
Old 05-13-2007, 09:05 PM
bofa

Not sure what they do with Lemon'd cars. I'd think they'd send them off to be auctioned with notice that it is a lemon.

The tech checked the oil level using the dipstick and according to him it was 1 qt low. It was pretty funny for this to be said right in front of the arbitrator. Honestly though, it also showed that the tech wasn't out to get me. he probably could have fed the arbitrator anything and he would have believed it. Hell it's hard enough for all of us to get a good reading.

As for the repurchase, the arbitrator actually performed the calculation based on local lemon law requirements. In short, I get back the original purchase price including TTT, dealer fees, misc fees and taxes and anything else plus interest paid on the loan minus a "usage charge" which comes out to the mileage/120000 x purchase price (came out to about $1800... I'll end up with much more back if that helps with the perspective). I really like how the lemon law worked in my case. It gave me renewed faith in consumer power.

Hustler, let me know if you need anything. I'll even participate in arbitration with you if it comes to it.

I'll post more on NNA's explanation later this week.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Hustler904

I'm just glad it worked out on your half. Do you happen to know if Nissan is perhaps taking this seriously to where there could be a possible recall or anything?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:14 PM
DIGItonium

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow congrats... your patience paid off!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:20 PM
MechaGodzilla

I spoke to a attorney today. I think the whole thing sucks because I can't afford a vette. What else is there out there?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:26 PM
NissanZfan

I got a new long block, and still burn 1 quart every 800 miles. I am getting tired of fighting the fight....good you stuck with it.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:59 PM
cessna

Originally Posted by Ky Z
When I was shopping for my Z one of the local Nissan dealerships had an 03 lemon buy back on their lot. It was clearly labeled as a lemon buy back due to state and perhaps federal law, can't remember which. The salesman tried to push it on me saying that after it had been bought back that Nissan had competely rehauled the entire car to fix any problems and it was in a sense a brand new car. I chuckled and kept on walking down the line of Z's...

Intresting....

Bump for a good thread
Old 05-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Mid117

Originally Posted by reboot
I spoke to a attorney today. I think the whole thing sucks because I can't afford a vette. What else is there out there?
A used vette is in our range....just make sure you get a warranty.

I'm also suffering from oil consumption, I first called NNA and got a case #, then I'm bringing it in this week or next week.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:20 PM
MechaGodzilla

There a certain year vettes that had problems as well. I guess I'll have to find out from the attorneys if the car is any good. Go figure. I get more info from them then Nissan.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:33 PM
bofa

The Z is being dropped off at the dealership this coming Friday.. it's almost over! Yay!
Old 06-17-2007, 12:41 PM
bofa

Well, the process wasn't too bad. I took the vehicle to the dealership to meet with a third-party company to complete the return. They inspected the car for about 30 minutes and then came inside for me to complete 4 documents and handed me my check. I'm glad it's over with. Good luck to you guys that are still working on the problem.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Hustler904

Glad things worked out for ya Josh
Old 06-17-2007, 01:23 PM
Mid117

I think I will open up a case with BBB, this oil consumption is a bltch on top of all the other problems I'm having with this damn thing.

Congratulation Bofa on the whole process....You pioneered the voyage for the rest of us
Old 06-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Frankie_Z

congrats...i am glad things worked out for you!

my 06 has been burning oil from day one, but i stay on top of it (i check everytime i get gas.. +1/4, +1/8, etc... kind of sad if you think about it).

for me, it has just moved the built block timeline along faster

if guys/girls are not heavily modded (easy to back out) and not heading down the engine build path anytime soon, it looks like you have laid the roadmap out on how to recover your money...well done!

Quick Reply: Lemon Law Results!