Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Lemon Law Results!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:22 AM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bofa
It won't work. Nissan will drag you through all of the steps and the only real accountability they have (short of hiring a decent/expensive attorney) is the lemon law.

Not so. Read page 2 of your warranty book. It states: "In the event that you believe Nissan has been unable to satisfactorily address the issue with your vehicle a special complaint resolution program called BBB AUTO LINE is available to you....consists of 2 parts, mediation and arbitration....if a satisfactory resolution has not been achieved during mediation you will have the opportunity to present your case before an impartial arbitrator...arbitrator(s) will make a decision...if you accept the decision it will be legally binding on you and Nissan....."

Read these pages in full. There is no need to adhere to any Lemon Law to get arbitration through the BBB. I had a good experience about 10 years ago when I had purchased a Toyota Camry that develop a tapping sound in the engine after 125 miles. Toyota wanted to tear down the whole engine completely to try and find the problem. I was advised by a well qualified local mechanic that doing this to a new engine would almost guarantee added problems in the future. He gave me a letter so stating. Went to arbitration and Toyota sent down a rep driving a Camry. We went out in my car for a demonstraion drive. When we came back the rep offered to show how his Camry sounded. I don't know why he did it but he made it very clear to the arbitrator that his car didn't have a tapping sound like mine did. I won the arbitration. They took the car back, paid me in full, minus an agreed on "rental fee" for the two months I had the car.. I bought the car in January, spent a month or so going around with the dealer, went to arbitration and had it all settled by early March.

It is very important to document everything. Before you go to arbitration sit down, get out any records you have, and write up a timeline of what has occured and the results. Be objective. Don't call names or get emotional. Be the same way during the arbitration. You can use notes so don't worry about remembering things.

The BBB Auto Line is a very good way to go if you feel you have exhausted all remedies. They are objective and arbitrators are well trained and qualified volunteers from many walks of life

Last edited by trains1937; 07-15-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:51 AM
MechaGodzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what if the arbitrator agrees with Nissan? What recourse do I then have?

None
Old 07-15-2007, 11:21 AM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by reboot
So what if the arbitrator agrees with Nissan? What recourse do I then have?

None
You do not have to accept the results of the arbitration and you can proceed with further legal action if you wish. The only time it is binding on you is if you agree with the results and, if you agree, it is also binding on Nissan. If you do not agree, the results of the arbitration are binding on neither of you.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:14 AM
zpwnzu

So i've contacted a lemon law firm and they are beginning the paperwork this week. Hopefully Nissan will honor the law and get me my money back - and just so people know, any time a repair order is created, whether they don't find problems or its an oil consumption test, they consider that a repair attempt . So under law my car has been in 5 times for the pinging/oil consumption and is definitely a Lemon under legal statute.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:41 AM
ZmaXimus

That maybe the case in CA but its not in Florida.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:42 AM
trinityracing

Wow... someone fought back and won... awesome
Old 07-19-2007, 08:25 AM
s13SRmadness

weird. my 03 doesnt burn a drop and the tranny is smooth as a dream.
like others said get an 07.... oh actually, wait for the 3.7 vq. get that.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Lawy'dU

Congrats on the results!!! If i had to deal with all of that I definitely wouldn't buy another G or Z anytime soon. So are they repurchasing the car for what you paid for or just for it's blue book value? Also, what are you replacing your Z with?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by bofa
It won't work. Nissan will drag you through all of the steps and the only real accountability they have (short of hiring a decent/expensive attorney) is the lemon law.
Nissan has a general counsel office (in house counsel). If they wanted to, they could fly one of their attorneys out to defend them, provided there aren't a ton of these claims being filed (it would be too costly for them to use their own counsel at that point and they would be better served to outsource to a local counsel). It is rather nice that they didn't go this route for whatever reason and you could go through the motions with "limited" hassle. This would have probably made it more costly on your part as well.