Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

test drove the g35

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 09:43 AM
knihc2008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default test drove the g35

damn that's a fast car. 260 horsepower and 260 ft pounds of torque and a curb weight that's heavier than the z. with 27 horsepower and 14 more pounds of torque, the z is going to be one fast car my friends. can't wait.

one point of interest. the inside part of the hood says "advanced front midship" i just think that's cool.
Old 07-28-2002, 06:49 PM
kroams

I am a little nervous the 350Z is going to be too fast for me. I have never owned a sports car (primarily sedans and SUV's). To go from my Ford Explorer to even a crappy Pontiac Sunfire would be a world of a difference to me. To go from the Explorer to a 350Z (world-class performance) will be unreal. Luckily things like VDC and TCS will help make sure I don't get myself in trouble. After having the RWD Explorer I have realized I never want a FWD car again. GOD I HATE TORQUE STEER! God bless the 350Z for being RWD.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:43 PM
Z CRAZY
Charter Member #67

Originally posted by kroams
I am a little nervous the 350Z is going to be too fast for me.
If your right foot is heavy then it will be fast. You shouldn't use all the power during the break-in and then use it only when you feel comfortable with it.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:30 PM
shoalhaven

Cool Nervous about speed--

Kroams,

I know what you mean, when I got my Cobra, the hype worried me a little, especially since I picked up the car during a rainstorm.

Z Crazy is right, your right foot is the controlling element. After a while, it will be like kissing your sister, nothing to it.

Enjoy!
Old 07-28-2002, 08:53 PM
kroams

Its a problem I look foward to dealing with..

Thanks for the input guys. I don't really think it will be an issue but it makes me excited just thinking how quick a 2002 Maxima felt recently and the 350Z will blow that away. I just need to make sure I don't over-drive the car in the rain since I am not familiar with low-profile tires on a RWD car.
Old 07-28-2002, 09:42 PM
nizl

Default Re: Nervous about speed--

Originally posted by shoalhaven
After a while, it will be like kissing your sister, nothing to it.
DUDE!!
Old 07-28-2002, 10:01 PM
rai

Originally posted by kroams
I am a little nervous the 350Z is going to be too fast for me.
I don't think the Z is gonna be too fast, I think it will be just right. the car isn't exactly a light weight. From what I've read the drive by wire throttle is very linear and it should be easy to drive smothly. I have never owned a fast car, but have driven both the Boxster S and S2000 two cars that mirror the Z in acceleration, and had no problems. I was thinking about the Z06 but I think that one may be too fast for me.

More people here have the oppisite concern, that it could use a bit more power. If you haven't read the Forbes review (I think it is the best so far) it says the Z is a lot like the 911 and could accept another 20-30 hp without upsetting the handeling.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:10 PM
kroams

Then a 350Z with FI should be crazy fast. It would be cool having a 350Z quicker than the M3's 4.8 0-60.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:08 AM
NissaNZ

Originally posted by rai

I don't think the Z is gonna be too fast, I think it will be just right. the car isn't exactly a light weight.
Why do you always make the Z sound mediocre everytime you post when it isn't. Doy ou have one on order or do you just pretend to like it seems like a honda s2000 is more suitable for your type.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:17 AM
robbyn
Charter Member #79

Originally posted by NissaNZ

Why do you always make the Z sound mediocre everytime you post when it isn't.
Can't say I've ever noticed rai ragging on the Z. I would think that stating a car is "just right" does not make the Z sound mediocre. CHILL.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:51 AM
rai

Originally posted by NissaNZ

Why do you always make the Z sound mediocre everytime you post when it isn't. Doy ou have one on order or do you just pretend to like it seems like a honda s2000 is more suitable for your type.
Chill out man. I have a track on order in fact. I think the Z is going to be one of the best cars ever especially for the money. I have taken off from work to see the Z and posted a very positive thread on the subject. I have said the interior is better than some people give it credit for. My biggest complaint with the car is the location of the power outlet.

I happen to believe there are a few cars in this price range that are also quite good. The S2000 and the 330 Ci for example. The fact is the Z is a bit heavy, you can debat that all you want, but it is only about 200 pounds less than the rather large G35 sedan. This is not the worst thing in the world because a heavier car is safer (I like my odds in a Z more than a S2000), also if the extra weight is used for making an extra stiff structure it will hold up better.

But the fact is that 3200 pounds is acting against the earth thus helping it to be not too fast (which was the question posted in this thread). It's not like I started a thread and said the 350Z is not a lightweight and will be too slow. I pointed out the Z would be able to accept a few more HP. I am not one who ever said the Z needed forced induction, I think a few well placed mods like intake, chip, and exhaust would not hurt. Therefore to me the Z is not too fast.

The only thing I may say that could be considered negative against the Z is "sluggish off the line". This is kind of a joke because of that stupid news week review said the Z felt sluggish off the line. I don't think 5.4 sec is sluggish at all, it will probably be the fastest car I have ever driven.

Also I was pointing out that I have driven a few of the cars with performance very close to the Z and I never felt like they were too fast. I wonder if other people have even driven cars like the S2000 before they put it down. At least I have a frame of reference and am willing to be honest about the Z.

Last edited by rai; 07-29-2002 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:11 AM
D C

Default No Me Gusta!

I really really hated my time behind the wheel of that car. In fact, I think it had to be the least fun car i've ever driven. And yes, that even includes the 92 Tercel.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:35 PM
TCL

Originally posted by rai

The only thing I may say that could be considered negative against the Z is "sluggish off the line". This is kind of a joke because of that stupid news week review said the Z felt sluggish off the line. I don't think 5.4 sec is sluggish at all, it will probably be the fastest car I have ever driven.

I have to believe that the writers who say the car is sluggish off the line either had the traction control kick in or they didn't use the clutch and throttle properly. When Road and Track did its first drive months ago they stated that the car "took off like a dart shot out of a blow gun".
Old 07-29-2002, 05:20 PM
D C

Take into consideration all the money each car company pays these magazines to advertise every month. I'm not saying its always the case, but sometimes money can skew an opinion really fast. For example, think of how many years that Sport Compact Car said the Integra was the best thing on the road. And we all know that the word Integra doesn't stand for Integrity. Integra GSR is totally synonomous with shadyness.