Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

NISMO news from SEMA

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 08:18 PM
Ez350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NISMO news from SEMA

For those of you who have been waiting for NISMO to release Nissan warrantied parts in the US, here are the latest updates:

Some good news, some disappointing....mostly just more waiting.

http://www.350zfrenzy.com/index.php

http://www.350zfrenzy.com/features/s...ss_release.php

http://www.350zfrenzy.com/features/sema_2003/index.php
Old 04-25-2003, 08:55 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is some very very interesting news, for the article.

"Interview Notes:
Computer doesn't cut power from relearning modifications.

No ECU at this time. ECU under consideration but it does not look like they could make big gains due to the current ECU being optimized for 91 octane fuel in the US.

No Forced Induction at this time. Forced Induction volume of sales would be too low to make it profitable.""

1. So the ECU does NOT cut power, I thought before Nissan said that it did?? and didn't others who have dyno'd seen the same results, power at first, then after a few weeks, re-dyno and the power is gone again, I am so confused now???

2. VERY VERY dissappointed that there will be NO ECU from nismo

and notes from vendors---

"K&N. Biggest surprise of the show. They have a combination SRI/cold air, unlike any other on the market. A carbon fiber airbox at the stock location, fed by a funnel from the grill area. Releasing May 30th, somewhere under 500, hoping for 375. Gains 11 rwhp. Aluminum/carbon fiber construction, and replaces the MAS box. Now goes straight into their aluminum piece.

Borla. Met and spoke with David Borla. It really is him posting on zcar.com, and it really is 20+ hp on their new dual exhaust. They have a state of the art dyno and do contract work for the manufacturers, so it is well calibrated and up to speed. They took a Z and benchmarked it, then tested every other available exhaust also. They got 23.5 rwhp with their dual. It is T-304 stainless, which is the top of the line. Due to controversy, they are planning a 350Z dyno day at some point next month, so people can bring and test their cars at their facility. Very nice guy.""

1. So, K&N will add 11 rwhp??? that seems veryv ery optimistic for an intake alone???

2. Borla will add 23.5 rwhp??? that seems pretty optimistic as well.

so with these 2 mods we could EASILY get over 300HP?? (addition of 25-35 hp there, potentially)
Old 04-26-2003, 04:46 AM
PhoenixINX

That's some disappointing news indeed... I was fairly excited about an ECU - too bad they can't utilize 93 octance like many of us have.

As for the 300chp - we hit over that with just a plenum modification... actually assuming the 17% driveline loss - I personally hit 305crhp

Reference https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=26605

Oh well... at least we'll have the suspension from them - As for power adders we'll take care of those here in the states.
Old 04-26-2003, 05:28 AM
Traffic

I always figured the ECU was a pipe dream. Wonder what these R-Tune parts are all about.

What's interesting is Garrett saying there will be a 350HP version of the VQ35 coming out at some point in 2004.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:12 AM
rodH

Originally posted by Daytona
I always figured the ECU was a pipe dream. Wonder what these R-Tune parts are all about.

What's interesting is Garrett saying there will be a 350HP version of the VQ35 coming out at some point in 2004.
I have a feeling they are talking about a Skyline, and perhaps they should have said "350+".
Old 04-26-2003, 05:37 PM
BZNYA

Default Unofficial Nismo News

I just returned from the SEMA show in LA and was talking to one of the Nismo guys there (can't remember his name, he was in a wheelchair, and seemed very knowledgeable about this) and he did state that suspension and exhuast would be available in June. However, contrary to the articles above, he said because of the great deal of interest both here and Japan in a turbo kit, that they have gegun working on one that will be backed by the Nissan warranty but probably would not be available until this time next year at the earliest. And it probably would not be cheap.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:11 PM
all_bark

Default Re: Unofficial Nismo News

Originally posted by BZNYA
he said because of the great deal of interest both here and Japan in a turbo kit, that they have gegun working on one that will be backed by the Nissan warranty but probably would not be available until this time next year at the earliest. And it probably would not be cheap.
I WOULD PAY THROUGH THE NOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope that guy is an insider.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:12 PM
droideka

He did acknowledge some problems with the suspension, and will be updating it in the future. When asked if suspension would be retro-fitted to already purchased cars, the answer was definitely no recall / tsb campaign. As far as a discount on the S-tune to replace the current suspension, he said that would be up to the individual dealers.
Nissan to the 7500 pre-orders: "GO F**K YOURSELF." Very nice, Nissan. Very nice. Glad I ordered the JDM market S-Tune suspension. Rumor has it that the US market version will be slightly watered down.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:42 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

interesting...

the nismo kit is going to be poly urethane all around.. including the new wing.. the front lip will just be an Addon, not a FULL bumper like the Jspec NISMO stune kit..

interesting in deed..
Old 04-26-2003, 10:19 PM
rodH

why does nissan think they can't get additional HP out of a new ECU, after all Hondata makes one for the RSX-S, that gets 18-20 WHP, that engine is already tuned pretty well, yet they could get that much power out of it, and Nissan/Nismo can't get anymore out of the VQ?? this doesn't make sense to me, maybe we need to have a Honda tuner do it for us
Old 04-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

NOT every car is like the Hondas are.. hondata is in a league of their OWN. they REWROTE the entire ECU mapping.. nothing is stock in an hondata ecu program..

the VQ is a tuned motor already. they're already pushing alot of power out of it... TRUST me.. we should be so lucky to get 10-15 hp from an ecu...

you need to stop comparing apples to oranges...

Originally posted by rodH
why does nissan think they can't get additional HP out of a new ECU, after all Hondata makes one for the RSX-S, that gets 18-20 WHP, that engine is already tuned pretty well, yet they could get that much power out of it, and Nissan/Nismo can't get anymore out of the VQ?? this doesn't make sense to me, maybe we need to have a Honda tuner do it for us
Old 04-26-2003, 11:17 PM
350z4steve

Originally posted by rodH
Also I think they made mention of the octane the US verses Japan is acustomed to 91 - 98 ..if highter octane gas was the norm here they could of had more flexibility to tune for gains with...so they say.
Old 04-26-2003, 11:57 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by droidekaus
Nissan to the 7500 pre-orders: "GO F**K YOURSELF." Very nice, Nissan. Very nice. Glad I ordered the JDM market S-Tune suspension. Rumor has it that the US market version will be slightly watered down.
And people that are waiting for it to be the U.S. version so they can have a warranty are simply crazy. You will have to actually buy the part from a dealerr paying full retail, then you will have to pay an outrageous ammount for the dealer to install it. A dealer wanted almost $700 to install my S-Tune kit!!!!! I did it myself in 5 hours and $75 to align it.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:57 PM
rodH

droid, in the research you have done, will this nismo kit stop the FEATHERING problem????
Old 04-27-2003, 02:01 PM
rodH

Originally posted by raceboy
And people that are waiting for it to be the U.S. version so they can have a warranty are simply crazy. You will have to actually buy the part from a dealerr paying full retail, then you will have to pay an outrageous ammount for the dealer to install it. A dealer wanted almost $700 to install my S-Tune kit!!!!! I did it myself in 5 hours and $75 to align it.
what if just maybe, some of us get it at dealer wholesale and get very very cheap labor from the dealer??

I agree with you on all other accounts though, but I do think there is a certain % of people that feel MUCH better about getting it from a NISSAN dealer and having them put it on (they know it will work). These people are usually the ones that don't do a lot of modifications on thier own, but get accessories from the dealers and have them installed.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:40 PM
happypants

my car's affected and it was made just after the initial 7500, mine is 7518

I'm at 1400 miles and the suspension hasn't gotten any better

would the lemon laws come into play here, since Nissan won't fix a defect in their product?
Old 04-27-2003, 09:42 PM
happypants

What tools are needed to do the install? I thought I read somewhere a spring compressor was needed?

I'll have a copy of the service manual soon in case some of the instructions are covered there.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:55 PM
raceboy
Banned

No spring compressor necessary. The front shock/spring combo comes pre assembled. Just a floor jack, some stands, and some basic hand tools.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:24 PM
rodH

No spring compressor necessary. The front shock/spring combo comes pre assembled. Just a floor jack, some stands, and some basic hand tools.
raceboy, do you know if the NISMO suspension corrects the feathering issues??
Old 04-28-2003, 09:09 AM
Mr350Z

Few comments.

The US Market 350Z Nismo Suspension will be identical to the JDM 350Z Nismo Suspension. No rumors, no difference, period.

On the ECU. Show me a VQ ECU that can get more power from a VQ without activating the knock sensors on 91 Octane.

Borla with 23whp. Intersting. Two things. Borla quality is so, so. I wonder if the 23whp is without cats...?...or with headers...? If it's purely a cat-back I will be VERY surprised.

On the intake, you guys know that Nissan's have MASS air flow meters...right? Honda's don't. Totally different systems. Hondas have a pre-programmed fuel and timing map, so regardless of your mods the ECU will not adjust to the mods. You will simply run leaner, one of the reasons everyone with Hondas has fuel pressure risers...to avoid running lean. Nissan's have MASS air flow sensors. If you make a mod like exhaust or cold air, the Mass Air Flow sensor sees the increase in airflow and adds fuel as needed. Yes it will keep the same air fuel ratios, but it will only retard the timing if it sees detonation. The net result will be a HP increase over stock.

Regards,

Quick Reply: NISMO news from SEMA