Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Dad Just Made me an offer to Buy his 2004 350z...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 06:13 PM
91LSMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My Dad Just Made me an offer to Buy his 2004 350z...

I have not posted on this forum much, but I have been lurking since November of last year when my dad bought his 04 Touring.

I was thinking that in the next couple years I was going to buy a sports car. Possibly a Corvette or a 350z. I would use it as a daily driver. I recently came to the conclusion that I liked the handling on the 350z better.

Recently my dad has been having back problems. He has a 98 Corvette and a 2004 350z. The Vette and Z sit very differently. The vette is not as "stiff" feeling as the Z. And the Vette seats have more adjustability. Tonight I was cleaning the Z and he said:

"I'm thinking that pretty soon I'm going to trade in the Z. The Z is just not working with my old back. Having 2 sports cars is not working out. I know you are thinking about a sports car in the future. I put down 12 grand when I bought the Z and I've got payments of $270 per month. If you want the car, give me 10 grand and take over the payments and it's yours."

It's a 2004 Touring model with...only 9000 miles on it.

I currently have a 91 Acura Legend Coupe that I have had for 5 1/2 years and it has 94,000 miles on it. It's in great shape, but I have been craving a faster car.

Your thoughts?

(No BS please)
Old 05-19-2007, 06:15 PM
calin
Banned

well we dont know the car as well as you do. if its in good condition and you like it, i say go for it
Old 05-19-2007, 06:20 PM
stein

Your dad needs to give you a better deal than that! I'd say 3k to 5k and take over payments.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:29 PM
91LSMAN

Originally Posted by calin
well we dont know the car as well as you do. if its in good condition and you like it, i say go for it
It is in good condition. I'm the one that does the detailing on all 5 of the family cars. And I do like it. Every now and then I take it for a drive and I love the power and handling it has over my current car.

Originally Posted by stein
Your dad needs to give you a better deal than that! I'd say 3k to 5k and take over payments.
It's already a good deal. There are 04 Z's in this area going for more than I'll end up paying. And it has low miles. He bought it with only 6000 on it I believe, from a Mercedes dealer. I'm sure some old fart bought it, let it sit and traded it in.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:32 PM
fallenromeo

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Is your dad Jewish by any chance?
Old 05-19-2007, 06:36 PM
91LSMAN

Originally Posted by fallenromeo
I really don't need that kind of response.

The 04s in this area are going for 20k with really high miles to about 30k-32k with low miles. Every market is different. I'm not worried about getting ripped off by my dad-come on.

Maybe I should have asked for mature responses.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:36 PM
drivenCSZ

thats WAISIS!!!!!!!

why would your dad rip you off? And the peace of mind, knowing the history of a used car and how it was treated by the PO is worth it...Assuming your dad took care of it
Old 05-19-2007, 06:37 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Simple, if he wats to buy it from his dad, determine fair market value (kelly blue book etc) and then make sure it is fair to both parties.

You do not need to insult him, his father, or their ethnic background.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:38 PM
91LSMAN

Originally Posted by drivenCSZ
thats WAISIS!!!!!!!

why would your dad rip you off? And the peace of mind, knowing the history of a used car and how it was treated by the PO is worth it...Assuming your dad took care of it
Oh, yeah-he took care of it. Drove it to work a couple days a week.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:38 PM
FairladyZ06

Honestly man 04 with 9000 miles is great! The fact that you are getting it from your dad means you know what the car has been thru. No BS stories, no carfaxes etc... If its well maintained and has no problems, then do it. The Z is a great car as long as it isnt your first car. Enjoy learning the car and its pros and cons so you're prepared to have it as a daily driver. Its def. way more power than your current car so being RWD... Icy conditions and snow is no longer feasible haha. I say DO IT!
Old 05-19-2007, 06:40 PM
91LSMAN

Originally Posted by FairladyZ06
Honestly man 04 with 9000 miles is great! The fact that you are getting it from your dad means you know what the car has been thru. No BS stories, no carfaxes etc... If its well maintained and has no problems, then do it. The Z is a great car as long as it isnt your first car. Enjoy learning the car and its pros and cons so you're prepared to have it as a daily driver. Its def. way more power than your current car so being RWD... Icy conditions and snow is no longer feasible haha. I say DO IT!

I'm not worried about bad weather conditions. My first car was an 83 Toyota Supra. Not as much power, but there was no weight in the back, I spun the tires all the time. I drove that car in all weather. And besides, in the part of Washington I live in, if it snows more than just a little it seems like everything shuts down. LOL I'm not worried about rain-I've already driven it in the rain.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:43 PM
drivenCSZ

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN
I'm not worried about bad weather conditions. My first car was an 83 Toyota Supra. Not as much power, but there was no weight in the back, I spun the tires all the time. I drove that car in all weather. And besides, in the part of Washington I live in, if it snows more than just a little it seems like everything shuts down. LOL I'm not worried about rain-I've already driven it in the rain.
well then go for it...... and then update your sig
Old 05-19-2007, 06:46 PM
91LSMAN

Originally Posted by drivenCSZ
well then go for it...... and then update your sig
Yes, if this happens, my sig would change. LOL

I just want to think about it a bit. What way am I leaning right now?

I'm leaning towards the Z.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:58 PM
NGZ

Just because he's your dad doesn't mean he won't quote you above market value for the car

A Z is a big difference from an Acura Legend. Some things you should also keep in mind: Insurance costs! Z is one of the costliest cars to insure. The Z might also be a lifestyle change in a way, from the Legend. I wasn't obsessive about my old car, but the Z has me all paranoid coz I love it so much. Are you the kind of person who will be paranoid/obsessive? Can you handle/afford being paranoid/obsessive?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:05 PM
91LSMAN

Originally Posted by NGZ
Just because he's your dad doesn't mean he won't quote you above market value for the car

A Z is a big difference from an Acura Legend. Some things you should also keep in mind: Insurance costs! Z is one of the costliest cars to insure. The Z might also be a lifestyle change in a way, from the Legend. I wasn't obsessive about my old car, but the Z has me all paranoid coz I love it so much. Are you the kind of person who will be paranoid/obsessive? Can you handle/afford being paranoid/obsessive?
Well, I have already thought about the insurance costs, it's something I expected with whatever my next purchase was. I know it'll go up. I'm prepared for it.

And about the obsession-I would be that way with any car I own. I'm the kind of person that'll spend 8 hours detailing just to make sure the pictures I take look good or it looks perfect for a meet. I'm already that way with my Legend, it'll just be the same or a little worse with the Z. And being that the Z is white, it'll be easier to detail than my burgundy Legend. LOL And I'm already the kind of person that parks far away, looks back as I walk into the store, etc. Basically-I'm nuts already. (Although some people will probably sh** themselves seeing me with a different car.)
Old 05-19-2007, 07:12 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't believe all the bull manure in the responses. Buy the car from your dad.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:13 PM
dbasal

Old 05-19-2007, 07:15 PM
91LSMAN

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Can't believe all the bull manure in the responses. Buy the car from your dad.
Thank You.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:18 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN
Thank You.
Actually, you may be better off having your dad set the price and then put down 10k and take a loan out for the rest. I think the payments would be lower. I certainly would not be paying 20k for an 04.

The advantage you have though is that you know exactly how your dad drives and how he takes car of cars. If you buy somewhere else, you will have no clue where the car came from.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:47 PM
rythex

so basically your dad is out 2K.... your dad is so generous..

Tell him "a good father would just let me take over the payments you cheap ***"

Quick Reply: My Dad Just Made me an offer to Buy his 2004 350z...