Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What happened to the manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolia
Wikipedia as reference ?!? How lame...

NObody thought of quoting books like the BOSCH Automotive Handbook ? OR any SAE documentation for that matter ?

Hey, I can change gears on my 6MT Z without using the clutch, at my command. So from now on, I'll say I have a semi-auto gear box. There, Wikipedia agrees with me.

Am I the only one here how would beleive that any gearbox that'll shift/change drive ratio on its own should be called and auto ?!?
Wikipedia as reference was only meant to answer the semantics and definitions in this useless/stupid "debate," and never to provide any technical information about transmission design.

re> NObody thought of quoting books like the BOSCH Automotive Handbook ? OR any SAE documentation for that matter ?"

Can you provide any specific references/documents on this subject from the sources you mention? I assume you already did some research or you would not have mentioned these books or documentation ("... books like the BOSCH Automotive Handbook ? OR any SAE documentation...")

Not flaming. I would like to read more about this (and you recommend some sources). Please don't think I'm questioning your knowledge. I've read a lot of your posts and find them to be accurate and informative.

--Spike
Old 05-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
Wikipedia as reference was only meant to answer the semantics and definitions in this useless/stupid "debate," and never to provide any technical information about transmission design.

re> NObody thought of quoting books like the BOSCH Automotive Handbook ? OR any SAE documentation for that matter ?"

Can you provide any specific references/documents on this subject from the sources you mention? I assume you already did some research or you would not have mentioned these books or documentation ("... books like the BOSCH Automotive Handbook ? OR any SAE documentation...")

Not flaming. I would like to read more about this (and you recommend some sources). Please don't think I'm questioning your knowledge. I've read a lot of your posts and find them to be accurate and informative.

--Spike
I'll get on it this week. My books are at work and it's track lapping time untill Wednesday!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:33 AM
Kolia

Here's what the BOSH Automotive Handbook has to say about the differences between automatic and manual transmissions:

Originally Posted by BOSH AH 6th edition p741
Manually shifted transmissions
The basic elements of the manually shifted transmission are:
-single or multiplate dry clutch for interrupting and engaging the power flow; actuation may be power-assisted to deal with high operating forces,
-variable-ratio gear transmission unit featuring permanent-mesh gears in one or several individual assemblies,
-shift mechanism with shift lever.
Originally Posted by BOSH AH 6th edition p743
Automatic transmissions
There are two types of automatic transmission depending on their effect on vehicle handling dynamics:
-Semi-automatic transmissions are manually shifted transmissions on which all operations normally performed by the driver when changing gear are carried out by electronically controlled actuator systems. In terms of vehicle dynamics, this means that a gear change always involves disengaging the clutch and therefore interrupting the drive to the driving wheels.
-Fully automatic transmissions, usually referred to simply as automatic transmissions, change gear under load, i.e. power continues to be transmitted to the driving wheels during a gearshift operation.
The book goes on detailing various means of power transmissions, but the basic definitions are those I just quoted. You guys are welcomed to keep on arguing on your personal definitions or you can adopt the ones used by the engineers that build cars.

The BOSH Automotive Handbook is published by SAE, the Society of Automotive Engineers. ISBN 0-7680-1513-8
Old 05-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Thanks Kolia. That is my understanding of the definitions.

--Spike
Old 05-30-2007, 03:10 PM
350ZV3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry for most definately making some members here mad but I feel buying a sports car with automatic is just plain rediculous. An automatic has its positives for racing in straight lines and lazy daily drivers going to work. But Manual is definately for true sport car drivers. Only in the USA would a driver buy a sports car with automatic. Try finding that trend in Europe where some of the best sport cars are driven daily on some of the best roads. Point in case is what are we Americans thinking? Is it the lack of education again biting us in the a**?

If you havnt learned to drive a stick you will never enjoy a sports car for its true potential. Just my opinion and I'm sticking with it

Last edited by 350ZV3; 05-30-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by 350ZV3
I'm sorry for most definately making some members here mad but I feel buying a sports car with automatic is just plain rediculous. An automatic has its positives for racing in straight lines and lazy daily drivers going to work. But Manual is definately for true sport car drivers. Only in the USA would a driver buy a sports car with automatic. Try finding that trend in Europe where some of the best sport cars are driven daily on some of the best roads. Point in case is what are we Americans thinking? Is it the lack of education again biting us in the a**?

If you havnt learned to drive a stick you will never enjoy a true sports car for its true potential. Just my opinion and I'm sticking with it
I understand what you mean. And personnally, I like to have a clutch to work with and to play with my revs.

But from the above definitions, pretty much all the latest sports car are equiped with semi-automatic transmission with only a limited number of manuals built.

Ferrari's are usually released first with the F1 transmission, then later a manual are offered.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:33 PM
350ZV3

I understand what you mean. And personnally, I like to have a clutch to work with and to play with my revs.

But from the above definitions, pretty much all the latest sports car are equiped with semi-automatic transmission with only a limited number of manuals built.

Ferrari's are usually released first with the F1 transmission, then later a manual are offered.
I understand technology is quite useful and makes shifting faster, smoother, takes human error out of equation blah blah blah. I've watched alot of documentries on fighter pilots missing the old school of dog fighting and actually flying the airplane. Kind of makes one think are you really driving a sports car with an automatic doing all the work? Or are you letting the car drive itself and just pressing down a pedal? I understand once again the technical factors as to why people buy automatics. But dont we drive sports cars in order to avoid being in your everyday luxury nightmare? I want the back wheels spinning from time to time. I want to loose the rear end and have to correct it by shifting and steering. Thats where the fun is. Again just my opinion.

I guess thats why I love Nascar and not Formula One.

Last edited by 350ZV3; 05-30-2007 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:40 PM
Z-T

I'll offer what I can since I just came out of one of the most advanced "automatics" in the world.
I owned an Audi with the new dual clutch DSG system. I had driven manuals my entire life, but this thing is FAST like you have no idea. Faster than the exact same car with the manual, once and for all proving that the technology today can overcome driver error/speed in shifting. I loved the transmission very much, but it just lost its appeal after 18 months. Even with aluminum paddle shifters and the most fluid, fastest transmission in the world, I was dulled.
I see a DSG-type transmission being incredibly effective on the track, but as a daily driver, I find the Z's manual transmission provides better "driver communication", if that's what you can call it.
The hard part - Finding a 6MT Touring/Grand Touring in LA proved impossible in my color choice, so I "settled" for an Enthusiast in my color, but at least I got the 6MT! Couldn't be happier.
I can't imagine why a normal slushbox like the one in the Z would appeal to the true enthusiast (it most definitely would not), but to each his/her own.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Kolia

As long as you have fun in the end, that's what really count.

Don't bring F1 in there though. Driving these cars take a lot more work than most people think. The days of an F1 car driving itself are long gone...
Old 05-30-2007, 03:51 PM
350ZV3

As long as you have fun in the end, that's what really count.

Don't bring F1 in there though. Driving these cars take a lot more work than most people think. The days of an F1 car driving itself are long gone...
Point taken but I think you misunderstood mine. I just like the traditional driving style of Nascar compared to the technologically advanced Formula One. Any race car driver works extremely hard and I have great respect. I just have an affinity towards the traditional form of it. Im not out to win track races when I drive. I'm out to enjoy the drive and be as involved with the controlling aspect of it as I can be. And I think manuals do that better.

Last edited by 350ZV3; 05-30-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:27 PM
tbridis

>>This is the 350Z inventory at CarMax in Baltimore, MD. 17 new Zs, and only 5 are manual transmissions. Is the manual transmission dead? Is it outdated?<<

It's definitely a regional thing: Driving my MT '04 Touring on the DC Beltway and I-395 at rush hour totally sucks. When it's bad, it's *really* bad. Try driving home at 6 p.m. on a Friday, and you're lucky to average 15 mph in bumper-to-bumper, stop-and-go traffic. My plain AT sedan is actually more pleasant driving in the congestion around Washington's metro area. If the Z were my only vehicle in this area, I'd probably opt for the AT, too.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:48 PM
thidr0

I too live and experience DC metro traffic, fortunately the roads I take dodge most of it. MT all the way!
Old 06-15-2007, 01:10 PM
teggy

Originally Posted by bender
MANual!
for real why did nissan make the 350z automatic! they should have been only made in stick. i just dont see the point of having a automatic sports car. im just lashing out lol..........
i enjoy driving my Z in traffic even if its manual. i dunno all my cars are manual except my bimmer. my bimmer is my cruising car.
MANual
Old 06-15-2007, 01:33 PM
ssawa

I'm been looking for a '07 Touring 6 spd to replace my totaled '03 Touring 6 spd, and it's been impossible to find one in Redline (my first choice). I've found one in PP White that's out of state and the dealer can dealer trade but wants to charge me $600 transportation cost to get it here. I've been w/o my Z for 5.5 weeks and its killing me. There are some auto's around but no way would I buy one of those. It's just not me. One dealer said he thinks Nissan is building the nismo Z' that come out next month and that's affected regular production. So since a large portion of the Z's are auto's to begin with, it even harder to find a manual. Even 6 spd Enthusiasts are rare.

By the way a Tundra cut in front of me and stoppped and I slid under his bumper.
Attached Thumbnails What happened to the manual transmission?-crashed-z.jpg  
Old 06-15-2007, 01:35 PM
teggy

Originally Posted by ssawa
I'm been looking for a '07 Touring 6 spd to replace my totaled '03 Touring 6 spd, and it's been impossible to find one in Redline (my first choice). I've found one in PP White that's out of state and the dealer can dealer trade but wants to charge me $600 transportation cost to get it here. I've been w/o my Z for 5.5 weeks and its killing me. There are some auto's around but no way would I buy one of those. It's just not me. One dealer said he thinks Nissan is building the nismo Z' that come out next month and that's affected regular production. So since a large portion of the Z's are auto's to begin with, it even harder to find a manual. Even 6 spd Enthusiasts are rare.
putting the label enthusiasts on an automatic car is a sin!!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 01:45 PM
nismoVS350Z

nissan made it auto because they would sell more cars if they put in in manual and auto...... myself i hate auto
MANUAL
Old 06-15-2007, 01:55 PM
Kieran@DrivenDynamics

lol thats funny, when I bought my 07 it came from that dealership. My Dealer swapped an auto MB for their 6spd MB.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:49 PM
evil_tt
Banned

Auto's are more common on the market sale cause people realize they made a mistake buying one and traded it for a Manual!!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:27 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So a 3 speed auto drag/race car, very famous in NZ.
http://www.croydons.co.nz/the5thdime...n.asp?pageid=3

It depends on the person what suits there requirements the most. So enough of the manual/auto thing please.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:52 PM
todtubbi

Default Automatic is good for guy with twisted knee

I have been driving a stick shift all my driving life (40 years), including my '07 Z coupe. The other day, I twisted my left knee and lemme telya, I found myself wishing for the first time in my life that I had an automatic transmission, even in my Z, 'cause it hurt like the dickens to use the clutch!

Quick Reply: What happened to the manual transmission?