2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

someone backed into me today. =(

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:30 PM
iseven
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone backed into me today. =(

I was backing out of my parking space and a old man backed his truck right into me. I was already completely out of my space and he is still in his, I have some pictures below. I was wondering if anyone had this happen to them and can I go after his insurance for it? Also the damage looks pretty minor, but driving the car I kinda feel like its off balance. Last question, can a dent removal place get that dent off without repaint?

Last edited by iseven; 05-27-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:37 PM
blksnake

I hate parking lots...
Old 05-27-2007, 11:54 PM
chriskabobbers

look both ways before you cross the street.

or in this case, before you exit your parking space.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:04 AM
michaeljr6

if you didn't buy such a low car this wouldn't happen.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:16 AM
iseven
Banned

Originally Posted by chriskabobbers
look both ways before you cross the street.

or in this case, before you exit your parking space.
i was already completely out of my parking space.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:22 AM
simplypanda

same thing happened to me and I have a dent on the driver side rear fender. I heard you can't get that out with a dent remover or w/e so I just got the nismo rear fender lip kit to cover it up or something cause whenever I see it I feel sad.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:43 AM
Advent7

I'm not a body person so i don't know if they can just hammer that out. Hopefully you wont have to replace the quarter panel.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:03 AM
ezramoore

your car is NOT driving funny from that. No chance
Old 05-28-2007, 02:20 AM
dozzer1b

Originally Posted by iseven
i was already completely out of my parking space.

if u were.....then wouldn't he have hit u in the front????
Old 05-28-2007, 05:03 AM
Alex3000GT

Originally Posted by dozzer1b
if u were.....then wouldn't he have hit u in the front????
no
Old 05-28-2007, 05:43 AM
zpeedDemon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that **** is ghey
Old 05-28-2007, 06:00 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Looking at your first picture, I can see what happened, the truck's driver could not see you. The Z's roofline is below his line of sight as he backs towards you.

I've had two very close calls driving the Z in parking lots that were very similar to what happened in your case. Both instances involved a high vehicle (SUV) with poor rear visibility. I avoided getting hit once by accelerating hard out of the way of the backing vehicle. Not a good manuever in a crowded parking lot, but I avoided getting hit. The second time I was "boxed in." My only option was laying on the horn and gritting my teeth while waiting for the impact; mercifully that startled the other driver enough so she stopped backing up.

Many of the new (and older for that matter) SUV's have very poor rearward visibility for objects close to them. My Jeep Commander is so bad it comes standard with rear backup sensors, and offers an optional (recommended) rear camera. There is no way I can see a low car (like a Z) close to me out the rear window unless I catch it in one of the side mirrors.

I don't know you can fix the problem short of attaching a "go cart" flag to the Z's bumper. I've learned that while driving in parking lots to be very attentive left and right, keeping close to the horn, and not allowing myself to get boxed in (leaving a car length in front of me for room to maneuver). But, none of these things would have saved you since you were almost beyond the truck striking your car.

Can't tell exactly from the pictures, but the dent looks a little large and in a less than optimal position for paintless dent removal. And, it appears there is a scrape where the paint is broken. I certainly would have one of the paintless guys look at it though. That is certainly the best way to repair a dent when possible.

--Spike
Old 05-28-2007, 06:41 AM
randymack

why would you ever park that close to anyone else,or park where anyone can get that close to you? i always take the last spot,no matter how far the walk!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 08:39 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Contact your insurance company for assistance. Thats why you pay premiums.

Last edited by davidv; 05-29-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:52 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looking from the third pic, you can take that out without paint cracking but you will have mini wrinkle lines. If you are perfectionist, then it won't do.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:12 AM
bizcotch

Originally Posted by simplypanda
same thing happened to me and I have a dent on the driver side rear fender. I heard you can't get that out with a dent remover or w/e so I just got the nismo rear fender lip kit to cover it up or something cause whenever I see it I feel sad.
any pics of those "fender covers/lip kit"?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Korki Buchek

How old was he?
Old 05-28-2007, 10:06 AM
iseven
Banned

Originally Posted by Spike100
Looking at your first picture, I can see what happened, the truck's driver could not see you. The Z's roofline is below his line of sight as he backs towards you.

I've had two very close calls driving the Z in parking lots that were very similar to what happened in your case. Both instances involved a high vehicle (SUV) with poor rear visibility. I avoided getting hit once by accelerating hard out of the way of the backing vehicle. Not a good manuever in a crowded parking lot, but I avoided getting hit. The second time I was "boxed in." My only option was laying on the horn and gritting my teeth while waiting for the impact; mercifully that startled the other driver enough so she stopped backing up.

Many of the new (and older for that matter) SUV's have very poor rearward visibility for objects close to them. My Jeep Commander is so bad it comes standard with rear backup sensors, and offers an optional (recommended) rear camera. There is no way I can see a low car (like a Z) close to me out the rear window unless I catch it in one of the side mirrors.

I don't know you can fix the problem short of attaching a "go cart" flag to the Z's bumper. I've learned that while driving in parking lots to be very attentive left and right, keeping close to the horn, and not allowing myself to get boxed in (leaving a car length in front of me for room to maneuver). But, none of these things would have saved you since you were almost beyond the truck striking your car.

Can't tell exactly from the pictures, but the dent looks a little large and in a less than optimal position for paintless dent removal. And, it appears there is a scrape where the paint is broken. I certainly would have one of the paintless guys look at it though. That is certainly the best way to repair a dent when possible.

--Spike
after talking to my insurance they came with the same conclusion, he could not see me cause I was too low. I dunno how they gonna handle it though, will hear from them later. I will try to avoid these weird parking spaces from now on.

your car is NOT driving funny from that. No chance
Not driving funny, I just feel weird driving it, like something happened. maybe its a mental thing.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:08 AM
kaizenro1

Dogs, cats, kids and Zs are not safe...

So the company is saying you're too low? How about the truck is too high? Just another spin!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:14 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I do that too. but a couple of months ago a jerk decided to key my Z. **** happens no matter what precautions you take.

Quick Reply: someone backed into me today. =(