Off
48.93%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Do you drive with TCS "ON" or "OFF"

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:05 PM
I1DER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I expect the poll is a bit skewed as many checking "off" either don't have it(Base) or modifications(mostly wheel sizes) which screws up its function, especially when linked to VDC.
I have to turn mine off to get going on snow and ice(then turn it back on) or when I need to make a quick U-turn on a narrow road.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:39 AM
trinityracing

Off... all the time
Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 AM
Klei14

I keep mine ON.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:24 AM
lilquazyvietboi

no seriously... i dont like ABS cause it locks up ur wheel.... u cant even step on the brakes... it just locks up.

a better alternative to stopping in slippery road is tapping the brakes multiple times gently.

but... i do admit... abs helps DETECT slippage... but i got a meter in the 350z for that.

iono... just my opinion though.

plus...tcs and vdc in the snow would only get u stuck and cant move. if u are a good driver u can somewhat do a slow drift and u can turn better. as long as u are focusing on grip on ur front wheel... u can turn better in slippery roads. AND if u have a manual.... and driving straight... but u car start sliding off to the side (too much throttle on the back wheel causing understeer).... just step down on the clutch and it should straighten out the car accordingly to ur front wheel.

my z is my daily driver... i drove across 2 states during the winter in the snow. and practice in a parking lot how to handle snow driving. it really aint that hard, true harder than front wheel car... but ull learn different methods on how to deal with each situation.

BUT!!! i do keep tcs on in snow and rain on the highway..... Z roadster touring dont got VDC... and ABS is like... in every car.

oh and.... alot of you mentioned about saving life.... eh.... i think if u drive like an idiot u'll still crash with tcs/vdc/abs on.... if u are cautious with or w/o technology... u should be safe. tech are there only for help... i find them worthless though.

Last edited by lilquazyvietboi; 07-19-2007 at 06:28 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:54 AM
noir06

Originally Posted by lilquazyvietboi
no seriously... i dont like ABS cause it locks up ur wheel.... u cant even step on the brakes... it just locks up.

a better alternative to stopping in slippery road is tapping the brakes multiple times gently.

but... i do admit... abs helps DETECT slippage... but i got a meter in the 350z for that.

plus...tcs and vdc in the snow would only get u stuck and cant move. if u are a good driver u can somewhat do a slow drift and u can turn better. as long as u are focusing on grip on ur front wheel... u can turn better in slippery roads. AND if u have a manual.... and driving straight... but u car start sliding off to the side (too much throttle on the back wheel causing understeer).... just step down on the clutch and it should straighten out the car accordingly to ur front wheel.

my z is my daily driver... i drove across 2 states during the winter in the snow. and practice in a parking lot how to handle snow driving. it really aint that hard, true harder than front wheel car... but ull learn different methods on how to deal with each situation.

BUT!!! i do keep tcs on in snow and rain on the highway..... Z roadster touring dont got VDC... and ABS is like... in every car.

oh and.... alot of you mentioned about saving life.... eh.... i think if u drive like an idiot u'll still crash with tcs/vdc/abs on.... if u are cautious with or w/o technology... u should be safe. tech are there only for help... i find them worthless though.

OMG....what?

ABS pulses the brakes, you know kind of like tapping them multiple times. If your ABS locks up the brakes it's broken....get it checked.

If your rear tires slide out from too much throttle, that's called oversteer not understeer. Pressing in the clutch means coasting and you've just given up throttle control which is one tool you can use to control the car. Why not just let go of the steering wheel and wait to stop?

It appears you use your TCS in rain and snow, that's probably a good idea.

Wow.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:05 PM
I1DER

I'm speechless. Amazing!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:06 PM
saberphx

Base Model FTW
Old 07-19-2007, 03:09 PM
saberphx

Originally Posted by I1DER
I'm speechless. Amazing!
haha no kidding.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:09 PM
michaeljr6

on when not driving hard....off when racing or bored
Old 07-19-2007, 03:15 PM
WiLd KiTtEn

Always ON
Old 07-19-2007, 03:19 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank god you don't live anywhere near me. You definitely aren't a candidate for the phrase "ignorance is bliss".
Old 07-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by noir06
OMG....what?

ABS pulses the brakes, you know kind of like tapping them multiple times. If your ABS locks up the brakes it's broken....get it checked.

If your rear tires slide out from too much throttle, that's called oversteer not understeer. Pressing in the clutch means coasting and you've just given up throttle control which is one tool you can use to control the car. Why not just let go of the steering wheel and wait to stop?

It appears you use your TCS in rain and snow, that's probably a good idea.

Wow.
Interestingly enough, he's right about pressing the clutch when sliding on snow/ice. It allows the wheels to "find their speed" and regain traction. It's very efficient and one of the technique thought in defensive ice driving schools.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:34 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to flame the guy, but I have very little experience driving on ice so I decided to do a little research on the effectiveness of ABS on slick surfaces which, in his defense, is what he is referencing.

Originally Posted by from Wikipedia
In gravel and deep snow, ABS tends to increase braking distances. On these surfaces, locked wheels dig in and stop the vehicle more quickly. ABS prevents this from occurring. Some ABS calibrations reduce this problem by slowing the cycling time, thus letting the wheels repeatedly briefly lock and unlock. The primary benefit of ABS on such surfaces is to increase the ability of the driver to maintain control of the car rather than go into a skid — though loss of control remains more likely on soft surfaces like gravel or slippery surfaces like snow or ice. On a very slippery surface such as sheet ice or gravel it is possible to lock multiple wheels at once, and this can defeat ABS (which relies on detecting individual wheels skidding). Availability of ABS relieves most drivers from learning threshold braking.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:09 AM
noir06

Originally Posted by 350Zenophile
I was going to flame the guy, but I have very little experience driving on ice so I decided to do a little research on the effectiveness of ABS on slick surfaces which, in his defense, is what he is referencing.
Because I know how much time we all spend on gravel, deep snow and sheet ice with our Z's. LOL

I'm not even sure how you got there from "u cant even step on the brakes .....it just locks up"......
Old 07-20-2007, 08:11 AM
noir06

Originally Posted by Kolia
Interestingly enough, he's right about pressing the clutch when sliding on snow/ice. It allows the wheels to "find their speed" and regain traction. It's very efficient and one of the technique thought in defensive ice driving schools.
LOL....I'll keep that in mind next time I'm ice racing my Z.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:46 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Because I know how much time we all spend on gravel, deep snow and sheet ice with our Z's. LOL
Apparently this guy does and wanted to add some information to the thread about his experience. More than can be said for you, newb flamer.

I'm not even sure how you got there from "u cant even step on the brakes .....it just locks up"......
I got there because he mentioned "a better alternative to stopping in slippery road" and "drove across 2 states during the winter in the snow. and practice in a parking lot how to handle snow driving." Seems pretty clear he's talking about DRIVING IN THE SNOW. ABS isn't a replacement for learning proper threshold braking technique, it's only a band-aid for those that don't take the time to learn. Until my post you probably didn't even know it was possible to lock up the wheels when you have ABS.

So, you're welcome.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:24 PM
banshee_z71

I drive with it off most of the time, but love it in the rain. I was going around a sharp corner in the rain at nigh last week (driving faster than i should have been in the rain) and a tree had fallen in the highway blocking my lane. A car was coming my way so I could swerve in the other lane. I slammed on the brakes, the car I meet passed by, then I had to swerve left (on a right turn with at least 100 ft drop off) and turn back right to make it around the corner. The Z never slipped a tire. Call me a ***** if you want for using VDC, but it saved my $35,000 Z. Out of all the cars and trucks i've had never though a rear wheel drive sports car would out do all of them in the rain.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:35 PM
tecni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

off all the way baby! Unless its raining hard...
Old 07-20-2007, 09:36 PM
boostintt

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

on all them time :_)
Old 07-21-2007, 09:27 PM
350Z_GTS

i usually too lazy to turn it off...plus i forget to too. I always turn if off if i about to race someone. Now that i think about it i hate how if i even make a turn downhill and one wheel is not on the ground it starts f$%king up. Im just going to leave it off.

Quick Reply: Do you drive with TCS "ON" or "OFF"