ima shirimasen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After getting in my car, I

1. Put key in Ignition.
2. Depress both Clutch and break.
3. Shift Neutral
4. Start car
5. Turn off VDC

I got a lot of experience driving a old 5 sp mt 1978 Totoya Celica RWD with no ABS up the snowy mountain passes up I-70 From Denver to my home town and vice versa during snow storms. (Visiting Parents from College and then going back to denver during winter break) Normally it takes 4-5 hours driving the speed limit to/from denver. With Snow, it 7-10 hours. I got really good at controlling my car.

A couple years later, I picked up a AE86 for tracking and have had several close calls in the snow/ice before. My reaction was what saved me and a friend.

If it is a Manual transmission car, I always prefer driving aids like VDC/TCS off. If I owned a Z with an automatic transmission, I would just leave it on.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 PM
HDPDZO6

Can the mods sticky this thread? So it can be used as a cross reference for all the "I wrecked my Z" threads that pop up now and then...
Old 07-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
Can the mods sticky this thread? So it can be used as a cross reference for all the "I wrecked my Z" threads that pop up now and then...

Good point. Probably the people who are too scared to turn it off are the ones who will end up crashing their cars.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:25 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Tubbs
Good point. Probably the people who are too scared to turn it off are the ones who will end up crashing their cars.
Gentleman's bet? As with any other skill involved activity; there are only a few very good drivers and tons that think they are very good. My money is on more accidents with TCS/VDC off.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:03 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

Gentleman's bet? As with any other skill involved activity; there are only a few very good drivers and tons that think they are very good. My money is on more accidents with TCS/VDC off.

+1,000
Old 07-13-2007, 06:14 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ON: When raining or highway cruising.
OFF: All other times...or it takes all the fun out of corners.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:35 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

+1
Old 07-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Tubbs

I'd rather have a confident driver than an unconfident driver on the road. I know there are morons out there, but if someone knows how to control a car without computer assistance, that driver is a better driver. why? Because computer controlled wizardry ***** up sometimes. I've had more than a few incidents where the car thought I wanted to do the opposite that I wanted to. I believe people are getting too pussified nowadays as well. I'm noticing more and more people get scared and lock up when their car gets out of control a bit, rather than just calmly correct the car. I see this happening every winter and after every rain storm Who are the people in the ditch? The people who the newest and greatest vehicles.

So I'll take your gentleman's bet, sir.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:17 AM
HDPDZO6

I'd rather have a confident driver than an unconfident driver on the road. I know there are morons out there, but if someone knows how to control a car without computer assistance, that driver is a better driver. why? Because computer controlled wizardry ***** up sometimes. I've had more than a few incidents where the car thought I wanted to do the opposite that I wanted to. I believe people are getting too pussified nowadays as well. I'm noticing more and more people get scared and lock up when their car gets out of control a bit, rather than just calmly correct the car. I see this happening every winter and after every rain storm Who are the people in the ditch? The people who the newest and greatest vehicles.

So I'll take your gentleman's bet, sir.
Deal, I think you will lose though. As you wrote in your post; we would all like more experienced drivers out there, but the fact is that isn't the case. In the USA, it doesn't take very much in the way of skill to obtain a driver's license. Plus, as time passes, you start seeing more and more younger, inexperienced drivers getting 350Z's, as the used market gets flooded. In order to look "cool", these drivers don't want to be "pussified" and may choose to drive with TCS off.

It's sorta like anti-lock brakes. A good driver, who knows what threshold braking is can stop sooner than an ABS system can, but how many are that good? As long as moron can obtain DL's without much work, idiot devices like TCS, ABS, etc. will save lives.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Tubbs

Deal, I think you will lose though. As you wrote in your post; we would all like more experienced drivers out there, but the fact is that isn't the case. In the USA, it doesn't take very much in the way of skill to obtain a driver's license. Plus, as time passes, you start seeing more and more younger, inexperienced drivers getting 350Z's, as the used market gets flooded. In order to look "cool", these drivers don't want to be "pussified" and may choose to drive with TCS off.

It's sorta like anti-lock brakes. A good driver, who knows what threshold braking is can stop sooner than an ABS system can, but how many are that good? As long as moron can obtain DL's without much work, idiot devices like TCS, ABS, etc. will save lives.

I agree that DL's should be very difficult to get. I also believe ALL people should be limited to the types of vehicles they can get when they start driving. I think if you drive a 130 hp car for a few years, you're going to become more confident, and have less chance of killing yourself and everyone on the road. Parents who buy their kids a 300 hp car as their first car are retarded. Their only concern is status and not safety.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:33 AM
HDPDZO6

I agree that DL's should be very difficult to get. I also believe ALL people should be limited to the types of vehicles they can get when they start driving. I think if you drive a 130 hp car for a few years, you're going to become more confident, and have less chance of killing yourself and everyone on the road. Parents who buy their kids a 300 hp car as their first car are retarded. Their only concern is status and not safety.
Agree 100%.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 AM
push

I think the problem lies with the system and parents. Driving school was a joke. If you got more prep and driving experience with good instructors you might see an improvement. I don't subscribe to the philosophy of fast cars = death for young people. Growing up I knew many 16 and 17 year olds with some cars with serious power and had no problems with wrecks. I know more retards in civics that have wrecked than ones with powerful cars. No matter what car you give a person or how long it takes them to get a license there will always be retards wrecking and bad driving.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:44 PM
MulhollandDrive

Parents who buy their kids a 300 hp car as their first car are retarded. Their only concern is status and not safety.
I offered my daughter a three year old Mercedes C320 AWD or a Honda Pickup and she took the Honda pickup. Go figure.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by push
I think the problem lies with the system and parents. Driving school was a joke. If you got more prep and driving experience with good instructors you might see an improvement. I don't subscribe to the philosophy of fast cars = death for young people. Growing up I knew many 16 and 17 year olds with some cars with serious power and had no problems with wrecks. I know more retards in civics that have wrecked than ones with powerful cars. No matter what car you give a person or how long it takes them to get a license there will always be retards wrecking and bad driving.

Yes, but with less powerful cars, they are less dangerous on the roads. And I'm sure there are good young drivers, but inexperience gets you sometimes.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by MulhollandDrive
I offered my daughter a three year old Mercedes C320 AWD or a Honda Pickup and she took the Honda pickup. Go figure.

A lot of girls like pickups. Another mystery of the universe. You can give me the merc if you want.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:05 PM
rkd350z

dont even have VDC haha!!
Old 07-14-2007, 04:15 PM
chingwithbling

Originally Posted by VandyZ
off all the time via KPTech module.

If you have ever pulled out in traffic with it on and needed to accelerate to avoid getting hit, and you lose power due to tcs or vdc, you will understand why some of us like it off.

I think TCS is more dangerous on. VDC is better in inclement weather, if you have it, but only having TCS it does more harm than good IMO in 99% of situations.
This sounds like a one in a million type of occurrence. Realistically, if the car cutting power when you're pulling into traffic is enough to create danger for you, you shouldn't be pulling in at that time anyways. The car is more than quick enough for everyday driving without the tires slipping.

Word.
Old 07-14-2007, 04:46 PM
black06z

Ever since I spun out on a hill by my house, after taking a left turn, I just leave it on, until a racetrack opens here, then I'll turn it off over there.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:42 PM
DanielW
Banned

off until it rains

Quick Reply: Do you drive with TCS "ON" or "OFF"