Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

This this 30k mile maintenence crap seriiously worth it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:37 PM
russhoopes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just make sure you have your Coolant changed and your trans fluid changed around 60K, and just look at your belts, my first Z had 56K on it and the belts needed to be changed... but some drunk totaled it for me so i didnt have to do the service now my z only has 15K and i will not do all of that crap at 30K

And check your factory air box for leaves and money
Old 07-11-2007, 04:30 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

You think 429 is bad. I just got the estimate for 590 plus Taxes... Time to get the cardboard out and gloves.

Someone should make a thread with part numbers and list of items(fluids etc) for each of the major services for the DIY'ers. Would be nice.

Chris
Old 07-11-2007, 05:48 AM
jerry_2612

If money isn't a problem - there isn't any harm having the service guys who look at and work with vq day in day out do this 30k maintenence, they know more about the engine and what to look for than anyone who says "you can just do it yourself".

It's kind of like getting a plumber to fix something or doing it yourself. Professional VS DIY. It probably isn't worth the money like most have said, but can you put a price on peace of mind?....wow how corny hahaha!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:55 AM
june

Considering that the cost of a new engine is approximately $9000.00.... $429.00 might be a bargain.

Nissan gave me a new 35th anniversary engine at 25,000 miles because it was consuming oil ( I used synthetic all along...go figure). If you want to keep yours, then you should take care of it...because, if you don't, and if there is any possibility at all that something could go wrong, it will.....

hugs,

June
This this 30k mile maintenence crap seriiously worth it...-g350z.jpg

Originally Posted by acelesson
- Engine oil and filter change
- Inspect fluid levels, inspect tire wear and set tire pressure
- Check operation of all lights and controls
- Tire rotation
- Lubricate all hinges, locks, and latches
- Inspect, clean and adjust front and rear brakes
- Inspect suspension components, tie rod ends, steering gear box and drive shaft boots
- Replace air filter
- Check and adjust parking brake
- Inspect brake hoses and lines, exhaust system, fuel lines and the underbody
- Inspect cooling system hoses/connections & coolant condition
- Drain and replace cooling system fluids
- Inspect and adjust drive belts
- Change transmission fluid(synth fluid extra)
- Perform multipoint inspection and battery test
- Road test vehicle
- Battery service
- Platinum plugs extra
- Synthetic & specialty fluids extra
- Some models extra.

All for a low 429 dollars...
Old 07-11-2007, 12:21 PM
Zmoney

Whats the deal with the fuel filter?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:42 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by opathal
* Adjust tire pressure... totally free at a gas station, $0.25 if they're REALLY sticking it to ya.
totally NOT free. freakin $0.75 at EVERY GAS STATION AROUND HERE. pisses me off.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:44 PM
FastZ33

depends if u wanna keep the car or not
Old 07-11-2007, 12:44 PM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one yet has pointed to the simple fact that we live in the most litigious society on the planet. So although all of the items listed in the 30k maintenance are easy DIYs (some laughably so), if you don't have ANY proof that EACH of those was done when the odo showed 30k or thereabout, then best of luck to you trying to prove in court that your drivetrain problems were a result of manufacturning defects (yes, you can prove you performed an oil change, but how about eye balling that break fluid reservoir?).

Remember: Negligence is NOT covered under warranty and no judge on earth would believe that you performed the complete 30k maintenance just because he/she thinks you look believable. Find the cheapest well-established mechanic you can find to have this done and then save the record; you might need it some day.

Last edited by usmanasif; 07-11-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:53 PM
edchoy02

Originally Posted by june
Considering that the cost of a new engine is approximately $9000.00.... $429.00 might be a bargain.

Nissan gave me a new 35th anniversary engine at 25,000 miles because it was consuming oil ( I used synthetic all along...go figure). If you want to keep yours, then you should take care of it...because, if you don't, and if there is any possibility at all that something could go wrong, it will.....
You actually sound grateful that Nissan fixed a problem that never should have occurred. Did it have anything to do with you getting service at the dealership as opposed to an independent? or are they just fixing a problem that they were responsible for?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Wait!!! What about lubricating the propeller shaft?? (I love that one)

Plus if your not careful, they could charge you to refill your blinker fluid!
Old 07-11-2007, 01:15 PM
slowxturtle

Originally Posted by oneDIRTYz
totally NOT free. freakin $0.75 at EVERY GAS STATION AROUND HERE. pisses me off.
After you get gas, just tell the cashier to turn on the air/water compressor for you. They'll turn it on from their desk. I never put money in those machines.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:56 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

- Engine oil and filter change
- Inspect fluid levels, inspect tire wear and set tire pressure
- Check operation of all lights and controls
- Replace air filter
- Drain and replace cooling system fluids
- Change transmission fluid(synth fluid extra)
- Lubricate all hinges, locks, and latches
Save labor cost and do it yourself.

- Inspect, clean and adjust front and rear brakes
- Inspect and adjust drive belts
- Battery service
If the brakes need replacing, replace them.
If the belts are squeeking or dry rotted, replace them.
If the battery isn't dead, don't mess with it.

- Inspect suspension components, tie rod ends, steering gear box and drive shaft boots
- Inspect brake hoses and lines, exhaust system, fuel lines and the underbody
- Inspect cooling system hoses/connections & coolant condition
get under the car and visually inspect all these items for wear and tear or leaks

- Tire rotation
- Check and adjust parking brake
- Perform multipoint inspection and battery test
- Road test vehicle
- Platinum plugs extra
- Synthetic & specialty fluids extra
- Some models extra.
Waste of money ^^

That about sums it up..
Old 07-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I did (paid for) the "30K service." It cost me over $400. I did this to preserve the 5 yr/60k drivetrain warranty since I needed a new tranny that hopefully Nissan would replace under the standard drivetrain warranty. I did not want any argument about "performing the required services" that might affect a warranty repair. The dealership did notice my complaint about the transmission during the test drive, (part of the 30K maintenance schedule) and agreed that my Z was in need of a new tranny. There was no argument on this point, and they installed a new tranny "free of charge."

So... I suppose in this case, the 30K service was worth the outrageous cost.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 07-11-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:40 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Its as much of a joke as the 600 mile service stealerships want people to pay for with motorcycles.
I need to get in business , ill knock $100 off and work out of my garage.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:52 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Assuming your not tech savy (I would not know a "steering gear box" if it hit me in the head), it is well worth it to have a knowledgeable mechanic give your car a thorough inspection once every 30,000 miles. The inspection just needs to be done by a good mechanic....not, necessiarly, a Nissan mechanic.

For one thing, having the inspection in your records preserves the warrenty.

And as cheap as this car is to maintain, a good inspection is just sound "insurance".

Though I do agree $400 + is too much. I paid $259.47 for 30 K inspection.

At the local Nissan shop, they have two levels: $250 for regular; $400 for premium. I said regular & let me know if you think it needs more. $250 did the job.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:15 PM
june

Originally Posted by edchoy02
You actually sound grateful that Nissan fixed a problem that never should have occurred. Did it have anything to do with you getting service at the dealership as opposed to an independent? or are they just fixing a problem that they were responsible for?

Nissan replaced the engine without too much of a hassle, (at 25,000 miles) because my records showed that all my service was done on schedule, and through authorized dealerships.

The car was in the shop for a month. One problem I had was that I ran over a deer last year on my way back east, and it threw the suspension out. I had to have the two front tires replaced because of the rumbling even though the alignment was corrected. I relied on their judgment, saying that the tires were actually forcing the alignment out of spec, which turned out to be true. While the engine was being looked over, I also had the entire right side repainted and a new rear bumper put on to correct some minor dents and scratches....all through their recommended shop repair people. It turned out beautiful.

They had to partially strip the engine to find the cause of the oil consumption, so Nissan could give the go ahead. I told them over the phone that if it was consuming 2 quarts between oil changes, and it would show no oil pressure at all, and was making a lot of noise, then it would be obvious all moving parts would have to be replaced, and that would mean taking the engine out anyway...so, the next day I got a call that the new engine was on order. It was installed within a week.

I have had very few problems to fix as an aftermath, other than the A/C not being recharged, and the periodic starter hangups, bit it all seems to have been resolved, and for the most part, completely at their expense. They even rented for me, a new Mazda5 mini-van from Hertz, for three weeks.

So now I have a new Z (practically)

June
This this 30k mile maintenence crap seriiously worth it...-img_1183.jpg
Old 07-11-2007, 05:26 PM
june

Originally Posted by Z MANIA

Yeah...there is this really cute guy who is the head of service at my local Nissan dealer here in AR. I'll have to ask him if he could do that for me.

I wonder if it tickles.

Attachment 153839

Last edited by june; 07-17-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Conceyted

Do an oil change and call it a day.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:40 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Z MANIA

For that price, there better be a lot of shaft lubrication!
Old 07-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brickyard Rat
Assuming your not tech savy (I would not know a "steering gear box" if it hit me in the head), it is well worth it to have a knowledgeable mechanic give your car a thorough inspection once every 30,000 miles. The inspection just needs to be done by a good mechanic....not, necessiarly, a Nissan mechanic.

For one thing, having the inspection in your records preserves the warrenty.

And as cheap as this car is to maintain, a good inspection is just sound "insurance".

Though I do agree $400 + is too much. I paid $259.47 for 30 K inspection.

At the local Nissan shop, they have two levels: $250 for regular; $400 for premium. I said regular & let me know if you think it needs more. $250 did the job.
Well... crap... I didn't know about "the two levels." I foolishly bought the "premium" service. I doubt there was any significant difference between "regular" and "premium" (other than about $200). My concern was needing a new transmission, and following the "warranty rules" to get that.

I notice reading messages on the Forum that the older guys (no... make that more experienced guys ) know how to handle their experiences at the dealership.

--Spike

Quick Reply: This this 30k mile maintenence crap seriiously worth it...