Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Nissan screws yet another Z owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007 | 06:57 PM
z32 Outlaw Z

Default Nissan screws yet another Z owner

ok this is the situation.... i bought a used 03 track with 11k miles, and i knew that 03 had their tire feathering problems and Nissan gave a complimentry repair in which they gave you two new front tires and a free alignment. the car was mint and considering the low miles that were on the car i would not run into a problem with Nissan in order to get his free service done. Well to my amazement, they gave me a problem saying that, "the complimentry service has expired, you have to pay for the tires and alignment to fix the camber." I mean i understand that its been over a year and a half since it expired, but given the mileage of the car (11k) that shouldnt be a problem. Also to add to this, the previous owner never took it in for the problem, and i have proof of it because Nissan does NOT have a record in which the car came in for this factory related problem.
To make a long story short, as long as it is, i took it up with Nissan Headquaters Consumer Affairs, they gave me a run around for 4 days and finally got back to me and said that they CAN NOT do anything about this...i told them this is my 3rd nissan personally and other 2 nissans/ infiniti that were owned by my father.... then the CA lady finally gave up on me after 15 mins of arguing and said she will send it up to a higher authority.

My question to all you guys is, what else can be done, any loop holes, or any thing else i can do to get this situation resolved....
obviously MONEY IS NOT MY CONCERN, if i can buy a Z i think i can afford tires and alignment.. ITS JUST THE PRINCIPLE, IT WAS A FACTORY SCREW UP and i think they should take care of it, since it never was....

i mean i have two tires sitting in my backyard that i got from member Armitage whom just gave them to me free of charge, which was awesome, a real good guy. But i just dont like to be screwed, especially since ive stuck with nissan since the day i got my license.

Let me know what else should i do... Thanks guys
Old 08-02-2007 | 07:12 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

You're not being screwed, at least by Nissan. The previous owner didn't have the problem taken care of within the prescribed period. There's nothing you can do about that, but he's the one that's screwing you.

Nissan is no longer running that program so the dealer can't perform the fix and get Nissan to reimburse him, he'd have to eat the cost himself.

Once the warranty time period has expired, you shouldn't have any expectation of being covered.
Old 08-02-2007 | 07:17 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

+1 Dave. The fix clearly stated that expiration date for the feathering expires after a certain time after the in service date. Most 03s have expired already. This is a case of you being SOL.
Old 08-02-2007 | 07:19 PM
z32 Outlaw Z

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
You're not being screwed, at least by Nissan. The previous owner didn't have the problem taken care of within the prescribed period. There's nothing you can do about that, but he's the one that's screwing you.

Nissan is no longer running that program so the dealer can't perform the fix and get Nissan to reimburse him, he'd have to eat the cost himself.

Once the warranty time period has expired, you shouldn't have any expectation of being covered.

Yea i understand that its not the dealership fault at all, but it IS a problem that came out of the factory and Nissan manufacturers defect. and its not like i am the only person with this issue, majority of the 03 Z community had this issue.
Old 08-02-2007 | 07:25 PM
Max-Q

It's not a recall, it's a "complimentary service" with a deadline. The complimentary part means they are doing something above and beyond what they are required to do. The previous owner did not take care of the problem in the prescribed period of time and now the deal has expired.

Nissan is not screwing you.
Old 08-02-2007 | 07:26 PM
SirSpeedyZ

The warranty is done, deal with it, just pay to get the problem fixed
Old 08-02-2007 | 07:29 PM
michaeljr6

nissan didn't screw you.........

you got fuc ked
Old 08-02-2007 | 07:32 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

So how long should Nissan continue to give out free tires and alignments to 03 owners? There's got to be a cap somewhere and it was clearly stated. Mileage doesn't mean anything when you have to consider the in service date. You correct in saying many 03s had this issue, that is why they took care of it 2-3 years ago. Sorry you came into this after it ended. You said you knew about the problem and the fix before you bought the car. Sounds like you didnt research the terms of the warranty.
Old 08-02-2007 | 07:44 PM
z32 Outlaw Z

Originally Posted by JDMFairladyZ33
So how long should Nissan continue to give out free tires and alignments to 03 owners? There's got to be a cap somewhere and it was clearly stated. Mileage doesn't mean anything when you have to consider the in service date. You correct in saying many 03s had this issue, that is why they took care of it 2-3 years ago. Sorry you came into this after it ended. You said you knew about the problem and the fix before you bought the car. Sounds like you didnt research the terms of the warranty.

well my buddys all had 350's at the time back in 03-04 and i was in a 300zx, that is how i knew of the problems... when i bought my z33 i was under the assumption that there was NOT a expiration date or time period that the "complimentary repair" had to be done. That is why 2 days after i bought my z33 i called nissan to see if the Tire feathering issue was fixed.... which it wasnt based on their records....
Anyways, im going to wait until the consumer affairs lady calls be back tommorow, hopefully. she said they might do it out of "good faith" and my supposed "loyalty" to nissan, and btw she took down all my VINS of my previous Nissans/Infinitis. if not, i have tires to put on.... thanks guys
Old 08-02-2007 | 07:48 PM
JDMFairladyZ33

Originally Posted by z32 Outlaw Z
well my buddys all had 350's at the time back in 03-04 and i was in a 300zx, that is how i knew of the problems... when i bought my z33 i was under the assumption that there was NOT a expiration date or time period that the "complimentary repair" had to be done. That is why 2 days after i bought my z33 i called nissan to see if the Tire feathering issue was fixed.... which it wasnt based on their records....
Anyways, im going to wait until the consumer affairs lady calls be back tommorow, hopefully. she said they might do it out of "good faith" and my supposed "loyalty" to nissan, and btw she took down all my VINS of my previous Nissans/Infinitis. if not, i have tires to put on.... thanks guys
Well good luck man. I hope you get it even though IMO your chances are slim to none. When my 03 was still within the warranty period it was still like pulling teeth to get the dealership to replace the tires and do the alignment.
Old 08-02-2007 | 09:11 PM
MustGoFastR

Do the tires with 11,000 miles clearly indicate that your car has the issue or are you just being proactive? Just b/c your car is an '03 and has not been in for a fix does NOT neccessarily mean you have the tire feathering issue at all. Not ALL '03's had the problem. My '03 Track did not.
Old 08-02-2007 | 09:15 PM
Nexx

just go pay $50 whole dollars and get the alignment done.
Old 08-03-2007 | 03:37 AM
coreapoc

Just get some nice tires and be done with it. Pay for the alignment. The nissan and toyota shops here offer alignments for as long as you own the car for $129 - you get two alignments a year. Its worth the money :P
Old 08-03-2007 | 03:41 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by z32 Outlaw Z
Yea i understand that its not the dealership fault at all, but it IS a problem that came out of the factory and Nissan manufacturers defect. and its not like i am the only person with this issue, majority of the 03 Z community had this issue.
A significant percent of the 03s had it, but it wasn't a majority. You hav eto remember that this was not a recall and because it wasn't safety or emissions related, it wasn't mandatory. While you had the benefit of buying a low mileage 03, the downside was that the low mileage probably kept the first owner from recognizing that he had the problem. If his front tires had gotten bad enough, he probably would have brought it in and the fix would have been done.
Old 08-03-2007 | 04:11 AM
Delako

So you knew about the 03 problem but you bought it anyways? Did you ask them before you bought the car about the tire problem? Sounds more like youre trying to screw Nissan to me.
Old 08-03-2007 | 04:18 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3

+1, right on the nose
Old 08-03-2007 | 04:19 AM
Datapimp

Originally Posted by coreapoc
Just get some nice tires and be done with it. Pay for the alignment. The nissan and toyota shops here offer alignments for as long as you own the car for $129 - you get two alignments a year. Its worth the money :P
+1
Old 08-03-2007 | 04:26 AM
Seel

You're not getting screwed at all. I'm not sure you know what getting "screwed" means. Being told that Nissan won't fix a warrantied part under CURRENT warranty is getting screwed. You're making a big deal over nothing...
Old 08-03-2007 | 05:03 AM
stein

Thats how it is with any car warranty, either the warranty expires from mileage or time, whichever occurs first. It sucks but they have to set some limitation or everyone and their mother would be getting new engines @ 100k because the previous owner didn't take it in for x issue. Besides, depending on the roads you drive on you should get an alignment about once a year anyways, and def when you put new tires on.
Old 08-03-2007 | 05:11 AM
davidv

Everything that you could possibly want to know about feathering can be found here: https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/15758-tire-feathering-fyi.html.

Quick Reply: Nissan screws yet another Z owner