Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:58 PM
illjim69

Received 545 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I went to the Nissan dealership, the same one I got my Z from, because my girlfriend wants a Sentra. After we finished talking about the Sentra, I asked if I could check out one of the 07s they had in the lot. They had a SMB Enthusiast demo on the lot, had something like 1100 miles on it.

Anyways, I've driven a number of 6spd Zs, and between the model years I couldn't really feel any big improvements. Shifting was like pushing a stick through a bag of rocks and the clutch was too heavy (more so than a sports car should be). So after driving the 07 and realizing not much has changed, it got me thinking that you guys have ***** and a ton of patience.

I could never tolerate such a transmission, since the Z is my DD. I just can't go a day without driving it, I really can't. When I was in Santa Monica on business in July, the one thing I missed the most was my car - over my gf, and family. I bet I'm not the only one, too.

Anyways, to me the manual mode is plenty of fun. But I know to you purists that clutch means everything. So my hats go off to you guys. I don't know how you do it, especially those who DD their Z, but it sure as hell does take some incredible patience.

/end girly man rant
can't say i have felt the issues you describe.

manual mode on ATs...........
Old 01-17-2009, 12:52 PM
whitelightnin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MT for LIFE!
I will never go back to an automatic. Well... maybe If i have like 5 kids and gotta get a Denali or Escalade No Minivans.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:49 AM
mrf350z

My 350Z is my DD and I love driving the MT to work - I avoid Charlotte's 485- two words: Connector Roads

I get better fuel mileage than creeping along, less wear and tear on my knees and clutch from bumper to bumper crawling and it's more fun!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

^^^

Yes sir!!! I love "crawling" off the clutch...when I get nasty stares/looks I just give them this look...
Old 01-18-2009, 05:08 PM
UnitedBreaks

Originally Posted by Tubbs
It's what separates the men from the boys.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:47 PM
J's 350z!

I have a 06 z mt and I love driving back to work 25miles even if im in traffic im used to it. I cant see doing it any other way
Old 01-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Xendric

I don't think the Z transmission is too bad. It's a sports car, it's expected to have a heavy clutch. And getting stuck in the traffic is nasty in any car, but having never in my life owned an AT car, I wouldn't have it any other way. In spirited blats, the manual shifting is half the fun.

Interestingly my Z's shifting is better than my porsche's, especially when it's cold.
Wanna know something funny, I drove my gf's Suzuki Jimny the other day, you cannot believe how heavy the clutch is. I'm not kidding, I've had 500hp cars and they get nowhere near the Jimny.

I drove back from a trip to the snowy mountains yesterday in her Jimny, a 200km drive mind. I dropped her off at her place, then immediately after, I jumped into my Z. I thought my clutch was dead when I started the car, lol.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:39 PM
bigbgballz

Default 350z clutch

Just learn how to drive a Russian Moskvich and you can drive any stick.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:24 PM
SniperHunter

Funny enough, my family used to own one. =)
Old 01-19-2009, 03:57 PM
HDPDZO6

Some of you guys can pat yourselves on the back all you want; however, if you've never driven OTR on I-80 during the winter... You've never experienced an MT.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:16 PM
gogo350Z

Originally Posted by bigbgballz
Just learn how to drive a Russian Moskvich and you can drive any stick.
Oh come on that not even a proper car! Btw I have driven one when I was 12 or 13.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:36 AM
350z-Jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love this thread it's hilarious. I have the 350z (manual) and an Audi S4 (which is a faster car, 350hp V8 and quattro) in automatic.

Everybody says automatic is easier to drive in traffic and the auto you don't have to mess with a clutch etc.. It's all bunk. When I have to go downtown I drive my Z over the S4. A MT is easier to drive in traffic. The S4 is always trying to creep forward so you have to sit with your foot pressing the brake all the friggin time. If you let if off for one second it roll forward. So you are either switching into neutral all the time or holding the brake. Switching into neutral becomes a bigger pain than holding the brake for an hour solid while you creep down a highway because of how it lurches forward when you switch from neutral to D. Just so you know, my S4 has a tiptronic 6 speed automatic with flappy paddles, so it's far advanced over a 350z automatic tranny and it still blows compared to a Manual.

With a MT you push the clutch and thats it. The difference is that a clutch has a breaking point due to how the master cylinder works, so once you are on the floor it takes very little pressure to hold it there, much less than what it takes to keep an automatic from creeping forward, plus it's significantly easier to shift a manual into neutral and coast than a automatic if you are just rolling a few feet. I own a fast manual car and an even faster Automatic car and I'll take the manual into traffic any day. The wife prefers manual as well but due to my motorcycle accident and my leg being knarled up i have to drve automatic right now, so I sold her A4 with a stick for the Automatic S4. She is gonna make me sell the S4 auto for a manual version once my leg is sorted out. Even she doesn't like automatic lol...

I drive in traffic quite a bit, and I take my Z when I know it's gonna be bad and leave the auto at home. Unless I am taking more than two people.

I don't care what anybody says, there is just no good reason to buy a Z in automatic, any you come up with is simply trying to change the minds of others around you to justify your purchase. This thread is evidence of that.

Sorry.

Last edited by 350z-Jim; 01-20-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
lgerow

Originally Posted by Nero

i city drive my MT DAILY...i cant drive AT, too boring. i need something to do or else i fall asleep or something
...exactly why I sold my auto civic and bought a manual 350z. I thought I was gonna kill myself falling asleep on the 20 mile ride home from work. The civic was a gift btw
Old 02-02-2009, 12:44 PM
lgerow

Originally Posted by chriskabobbers
lol envy. but to be truthfully honest, when people throw that "i'll fall asleep if i drive AT" comment at me ... it's like come on ... on a regular day basis, who the hell really falls asleep driving from where they are to where they need to be? it's just a figure of speech for you to say AT's are gay without actually saying it.
My head was nodding and my eyes were falling shut uncontrollably... till i got mt
Old 02-05-2009, 02:34 PM
always_wright
Addicted

I have an auto Civic right now. I hate driving.
My first car was a 94 MT Mustang Cobra. I hated stopping and going, but you had to really punch the gas as you let out the clutch or it would die. I don't know whether this was due to me not being that great of a driver, or the car was just that way.
I've been looking at getting a 350z pretty heavily, but I'm just a little leary of getting a manual again. So you guys think the MT isn't too bad?
Old 02-05-2009, 07:30 PM
grey00lustre

If you own a Z it has to manual in my opinion never understood why they offer them in auto. If u need a auto I would go with G coupe or other cars. The G coupe is more a luxurious coupe and not like the Z more of a sports car.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Nicks93090
Banned

Default i dunno but

[QUOTE=350z-Jim;6834248]I love this thread it's hilarious. I have the 350z (manual) and an Audi S4 (which is a faster car, 350hp V8 and quattro) in automatic.

the z is def a faster car then the slimy s4..
Old 02-09-2009, 10:23 PM
youngh

Originally Posted by always_wright
I have an auto Civic right now. I hate driving.
My first car was a 94 MT Mustang Cobra. I hated stopping and going, but you had to really punch the gas as you let out the clutch or it would die. I don't know whether this was due to me not being that great of a driver, or the car was just that way.
I've been looking at getting a 350z pretty heavily, but I'm just a little leary of getting a manual again. So you guys think the MT isn't too bad?
honestly, ive been driving automatic forever and i just switched to a 350z, which is my first manual car. and really, its not bad at all. i actually like it ;] its a driver's car
Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 PM
SergEK

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I could never tolerate such a transmission, since the Z is my DD.
So my hats go off to you guys. I don't know how you do it, especially those who DD their Z, but it sure as hell does take some incredible patience.

/end girly man rant
LOL

The Z's clutch is defintely NOT that firm at all -- maybe the early models but even then...not really

God forbid you stuff a real clutch in the car....lol

My ACT clutch I had in my civic was heavier than my Z clutch by far and I wouldnt trade the holding power or my rev happy 8lb flywheel for the world

Its about control...with the release of paddles its getting closer to a break even point but a clutch pedal is a tool....take that away and you rob yourself of a major car control tool...

A good clutch kick slide never hurt anyone right? lol
Old 02-10-2009, 06:03 AM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

350z-Jim,

I'm not sure how far you drive to work, but speaking for some of us who drive 40+ miles in heavy traffic I would have to disagree with you.
I had to drive 50+ miles to work for a few weeks in extremely heavy Los Angeles traffic, and I must say that if it wasn't for my brother's auto honda I would've quit the job.
I do understand where you're coming from, but to drive almost 2 hours each way in extremely heavy traffic, hitting the break is a lot easier.

Quick Reply: I applaud you MT drivers. I really do...