Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help Me Decide! 350z or s2000

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:19 AM
djdorifto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a S2000, back in 03 I almost got a Z, i wanted one soo bad. But a year later I got the S2000 and never looked back. Until now, after about 4+ years owning a S2000 I just want something new and with a better paying job now, I'll be finally getting a Z within a few weeks. I driven both, loved both, if I could I would have them both.

DD Z and track car S
Old 04-13-2008, 05:42 PM
jray8

and the beat goes on....Z owns

Last edited by jray8; 04-13-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:45 PM
ZDADDY

I looked at booth, drove both and decided on the 350Z. You have to think... when the S2000 drives by it barely gets looked at... drive a Z and its an eye turner. Also, the Z is a blast to MOD... you can do so much with it.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:46 PM
ZDADDY

Booth = Both :-)
Old 04-14-2008, 06:25 AM
dystopian

Originally Posted by ZDADDY
I looked at booth, drove both and decided on the 350Z. You have to think... when the S2000 drives by it barely gets looked at... drive a Z and its an eye turner. Also, the Z is a blast to MOD... you can do so much with it.
Probably due to region, but there's so many more Z's around here than S2ks that I usually see the S2k turn alot more heads than my Z.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:10 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Honda is the single most expensive Japanese car, which includes parts & ser-
vice! Nissans are more reasonably priced, WHICH INCLUDES PARTS & SERVICE!
Get the drift?!
Old 05-11-2008, 02:33 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
Get the drift?!
Honda is a brand, not a car. Depending on the model, the prices can vary from affordable to expensive.

Since you resurrected another old post, I would like to hear your reasoning behind a Nissan being more affordable in the parts & service department. Feel free to let the thread go another month before posting.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:34 PM
geneses7

HONDA makes good generators hey.....or is it cars.....or both ...????
Old 05-12-2008, 04:26 AM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

get the HONDA!!!!!! makes my Z more rarer!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 AM
shanecrosby

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
get the HONDA!!!!!! makes my Z more rarer!
he said more rarer, lol.

love it
Old 05-12-2008, 02:43 PM
gsazabi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my350z.com = S2k has no power/torque!

s2ki.com = Z's too heavy and doesn't handle well!

THE END
Old 05-12-2008, 03:03 PM
chuchu110

Honestly, to me the s2k's handling and the transmission is better than the Z.
But I decied to get a Z instead of s2k, because of the look, and much more space.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:05 PM
kutnupe14

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shanecrosby
he said more rarer, lol.

love it
+1 "more" and a word ending in "er"
Old 05-12-2008, 04:08 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Do you know what the term "generic" means? Look it up, kiddo: "car", in the generic sense=all models made by a specific manufacturer.

English teacher-turned-CBP Officer ($$$!!!)
Old 05-13-2008, 12:05 AM
phenix

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
Get the drift?!
I really would like to know where you get that info from. If you look (way) earlier in this thread you will see I own both. I paid about the same for the cars (good deal on the S), the S maintenance cost is only about 80% that of the Z, and the tires are a hell of a lot cheaper due to the more common 17 inch sizes.

The service intervals are longer on the S due to the 'intelligent' maintenance minder that tracks how the vehicle is driven instead of the cookie-cutter x miles/ x months used for the Z. Gas mileage in almost pure city driving is 21-23 mpg, around 5 more than the Z. Surprisingly the insurance is about the same.

Then the aftermarket... you have to buy twice as many of most things because of the V engine in the Z (intake for 07 and up, cams, header, exhaust, etc). That said, neither car is really cheap to modify compared to , for instance, Civics, 240sx, Eclipse, etc. due to the fact that you really need to get higher quality parts in order to see reasonable gains.

Anyways... to me there isn't really a good debate to which is better. Hell sometimes I can't make up my mind which one to drive. They are totally different cars. If you want a smooth, power-everywhere, softer-riding car, the Z is for you. If you want a sharper-handling, rev-happy, (almost) no-compromise roadster, (not to mention the much higher quality materials and fit and finish of the interior) get the S.

The fact that the S has less bottom-end power is of little consequence in the end really. The (numerically) higher gear ratios (remember they multiply torque) help make up some of that disadvantage. It's also usually the case that without variable timing most high revving cars make less low end power. Just change gears and all is good. Most of the 'feeling' of more torque in the Z is due to the enormous amount of squat anyway, the S is almost flat during acceleration. Do a search for the 0-60 times across the various publications, they are about the same.

If you are really worried about trunk space, buy a Camry...
Old 05-13-2008, 06:31 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow this thread never dies! I have owned both. The S2000 does have a lower torque rating. However it is able to stay in a lower gear longer than most cars. By allowing the car to rev to 9K while the other car has to shift makes up for the lost torque. The S and the Z both feel fast.

As far as it being a daily driver the Z is the better choice. Until about 5 to 6000 rpms the S was kind of a slug in the lower rpms. The Z always has the power at any rpm. I love the usable torque and comfort of the Z.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Done Deal DR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check insurance rates on the S2000. When I was looking for a new car about 2.5 years back I was looking into 3rd gen RX7's, Supra's, 350Z's, S2000's and NSX's.

The insurance rate from every company was 2-3 TIMES higher on the S2000 compared to the Z (I'm sure mostly due to the convertible nature of the car). Of course every person will have different rates depending on age, credit rating, geographic location, and past incidents, but for me it made it impossible to own an S2000. Either way I'm still happy with my Z purchase 2 years later and am not looking back (though I still want a FI NSX someday).
Old 05-13-2008, 10:53 AM
Neb

I was honestly considering the S2000 when I was looking at new cars as well. I went with the Z simply because -I- personally think it looks better..

Yeah you can.. performance this, handling that... but unless you're trying to win money on a track or something.. does any of that -really- matter? Both cars provide an exceptional amount of power and handling.. moreso than anyone really needs as a daily driver... but hey, thats why we like these cars, right?

Just my two pennies.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:22 AM
AndreZ Cadena

those were my 2 otions when I got my Z, and Im glad I got a Z. Dont get me wrong the sk2 is a badass car but the Z offers a lot more for your $, the S is a very simple sports car, kind of like a bigger faster Miata, very unforgiving, the Z will outperform the S in most scenarios, but if your looking to have it just for DD it go for the Z, but then again its all about personal preference, I wish i could have both, but im glad I have a Z, only that it pissed me off the other day at the auto-x, but thats another story.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:45 AM
MadeIn350z

asking this question on this forum is definitely going to get you an unbias opinion "wink wink".... actually there were some pretty constructive comments which you should probably take into consideration. At the end of the day though YOU are the one buying a car... drive both...the one that wins you over at the end of the day is the one you should get.

Frankly when im in the market of buying a new car I enjoy doing the research and looking at the specs as well as the +'s and -'s of various options. Your going to end up with a sweet machine to play with ... you should figure it out on your own and have fun with it.

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide! 350z or s2000