Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help Me Decide! 350z or s2000

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:01 PM
kirradude1025

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would quote, but there are simply too many of the same responses. Your on a 350Z forum. 95 out of 100 people on here will say go with the Z. Go to an S2K forum and you experience the same phenomenon except with the majority backing the S2K.

Btw, the Z is the better choice! After all, Z is the end all, and be all of the alphabet along with the car world!
Old 03-03-2008, 08:20 PM
Rexy7

Get the Z you will get tired of the s2000 like I did..also Im tired of this tread.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:33 AM
SFL_Z

I have an S... and getting a Z...

Both cars are fun cars to drive...this is my second S and I love everything about it... it just depends what you are looking for... I might get rid of mines just cause it got broken into twice so I am tired of it. So as long as you got an alarm/garage you shoudl be fine. If you looking for comfort and sporty... Z is good, if you, if you looking for sporty and the sporty feel S is a great car, its got awesome potential.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:48 AM
Key Of Z

Originally Posted by Stanky19
Based on driving these two cars similarly modded and actually being in your exact position not too long ago, hopefully this advice can give some insight.

Stock to stock, S2000 is in my opinion what i would pick just based on driving aspect/pleasure. I come from a Pro formula car racing background, and the weight of the Z is what holds it back. As the power mods start being applied, the Z takes leaps foward where you only get a few feet in the S2000. My buddy has a white AP1 with a hardtop, Kw v3 (with corner balance), in's and outs that maybe add 10 whp at most with alot of noise. My car is an 06 with Hks coils, (soon to be hotchkis sways) ins and outs somewhere around the 260 whp range. Handling wise, i think only once my Z is corner balanced, the weight reduction i plan to do and the sway bars are added to "free up" the car a bit, will the Z even be comparable to the modded S2k. A corner balanced S has a very linear breakaway (more so than the Z's i've driven, one with Kw v3's, hotchkis ways and corner balance as well) and overall just feels like a gokart, loads of fun to drive and slide around!!!!

However,

considering you're going to DD these cars as am I, I chose the Z for it's extra space and comfort. Sure it's not as crisp as an S, but with proper mods and weight watching you can get damn close. Plus you have the ability to blow them away on the street or straight away. I am 6' and the S without the hardtop mod felt uncomfortably small. If you are planning to get a hard top, i advise you to check one out, my buddy's car has a recaro which is a bit lower than stock height and with the hardtop it makes the cabin worlds bigger than the stock one i've been in and around.

Also look at the AP2 S2k (03-current). The 1-2 shift grind, noisey flywheel and lack of torque were attended to by honda as well as a new front sway bar that is supposed to rid the car of the stock suspension nervousness everyone complains about in those earlier models. Never driven one personally tho. The Ap1's are seen as the more raw, racey ones to drive, where as Ap2's are more happy of the 2 on the street.

Having said that,
S2k = More fun to drive aggressively but is questionable for DD. Best as a weekend racer (or that's how i'd have it)

350Z = Better for day to day convenience and straight away/street driving with some aggressive mountain driving but not expecting a full out race car.
Great post! Just for clarification, the '03 s2000 was the last of the AP1s. The AP2 began in '04.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:43 AM
RedLine 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06g35meister
you in KC, i love sadlers if yyoure talking about that!!!
Yeah, in KC. Great place to have a meet and exercise the demon within.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:35 AM
350Z_Mike

So ummmmmm.... ummmmmm.... watchu get? theres 15 pages for this thread and i still don't know what you ended up getting... ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Old 04-05-2008, 06:49 AM
HadesMR

I drove an Evo 8, a 350Z (modded suspension), an S2000, a Porsche Carrera, and my tracked out '91 MR2 Turbo and I think the best handling car there, with STOCK suspension, was the S2000. Not to mention it was an AP1, things have changed since, for the better of course.

Reasons why I am getting a 350Z though:
I don't have to go out and purchase a $5,000 roof for my god damn car...
I don't have to worry about coming outside in the morning and finding my soft-top has been sliced open and my seats are gone, oh it also rained all night so what IS left of my interior is SOAKED... eff that.
If I find a kid with his little EG Hatch Civic with Black/Red S2K seats in it I'll probably cut his head off and go to jail...
350Z's make more power, a lot more power, stock... and considering you're playing with a six banger, well, it'll be easier to make more power.
I love the way both cars look. Boosted AP1's are vicious but I've sat in a twin turbo 350Z and that was a nice ride too, was about an even race but the Z had less work done than the S2K.

Oh and to all the ignorant morons who "lol" and "Hahaha" at Hondas and other car companies because they're so utterly proud of the fact they bought a Nissan, just ignore them man, they're on all forums, all over the internet.
Hondas are mostly ranked on because of 15 year old kids who slap a Cherry Bomb muffler and an APC intake and go to hang outs and try people in their automatic, D16 powered Civics.

I have a '93 Civic Hatch with a K20 in it, barely any work done to the motor, that will eat most people's 350's on this forum, believe it or not... and probably mostly the ones who just "OMG LOL HE SAID HONDA!1!!!1!11!!"

It's your choice in the end man, handling I'd go with the S2K, power, the 350Z. Looks... the S2000 looks like a car a really young person would drive, the 350Z looks more luxurious yet sporty as hell at the same time. The few mods you listed would benefit the Z more simply because headers/exhaust/intake don't do crap for a 4-cylinder, not even a high N/A horsepower 4-cylinder like the S2K's come with... the 6 cylinder would make a lot more power, and, how can I put it... the mod-to-power ratio benefits the Z, in my opinion.

Anyway, that's my .02 cents. Choose wisely.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:19 AM
unit5alive

My Dad has a 2003 S2000 ,great car also , but a little low on torque when pulling out from a stop sign.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:55 AM
uzi does it

buy the s2000 why mess with the tire feathering on the 350z...problem for 5 years,and they are still screwing there customers...
Old 04-05-2008, 12:03 PM
gregom

I agree S2K is better handling, not to mention lighter so that helps a lot. And the Z has more power... you just have to decide what you want more, you can't have both.

BTW they do have hard-top S2K's now I think but you have to leave the hard top at home if you take it off, so if it suddenly starts to down pour you are screwed.

And WTF is with everyone bitching about tire feathering issue on the Z???? ITS A EFFIN SPORTS CAR, YOUR SUPPOSED TO BURN THE DAMN TIRES OFF BEFORE THE FEATHERING WOULD EVEN BECOME AN ISSUE! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! #!@$!@#$%$%*(^!!*(!!!

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:27 PM
phantom33ace

s2k no power.
get 350z. so much better!!!
s2k too small and no cargo space!!
sk2 stereo sucks and suspension systems too weak!
and its too light weight!!! u get spin like crazy during raining day!!
Old 04-05-2008, 12:31 PM
whitecel

After owning a Z, I wouldn't mind owning an s2k. I guess it depends on what kind of driving you do.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:47 PM
kihun

Originally Posted by HadesMR
I drove an Evo 8, a 350Z (modded suspension), an S2000, a Porsche Carrera, and my tracked out '91 MR2 Turbo and I think the best handling car there, with STOCK suspension, was the S2000. Not to mention it was an AP1, things have changed since, for the better of course.

I don't have to worry about coming outside in the morning and finding my soft-top has been sliced open and my seats are gone, oh it also rained all night so what IS left of my interior is SOAKED... eff that.
If I find a kid with his little EG Hatch Civic with Black/Red S2K seats in it I'll probably cut his head off and go to jail...
350Z's make more power, a lot more power, stock... and considering you're playing with a six banger, well, it'll be easier to make more power.
I love the way both cars look. Boosted AP1's are vicious but I've sat in a twin turbo 350Z and that was a nice ride too, was about an even race but the Z had less work done than the S2K.

Oh and to all the ignorant morons who "lol" and "Hahaha" at Hondas and other car companies because they're so utterly proud of the fact they bought a Nissan, just ignore them man, they're on all forums, all over the internet.
Hondas are mostly ranked on because of 15 year old kids who slap a Cherry Bomb muffler and an APC intake and go to hang outs and try people in their automatic, D16 powered Civics.

I have a '93 Civic Hatch with a K20 in it, barely any work done to the motor, that will eat most people's 350's on this forum, believe it or not... and probably mostly the ones who just "OMG LOL HE SAID HONDA!1!!!1!11!!"

It's your choice in the end man, handling I'd go with the S2K, power, the 350Z. Looks... the S2000 looks like a car a really young person would drive, the 350Z looks more luxurious yet sporty as hell at the same time. The few mods you listed would benefit the Z more simply because headers/exhaust/intake don't do crap for a 4-cylinder, not even a high N/A horsepower 4-cylinder like the S2K's come with... the 6 cylinder would make a lot more power, and, how can I put it... the mod-to-power ratio benefits the Z, in my opinion.

HE JUST PWNED THE FORUM.. GOOD WRITE - from eg with gsr motor =)
Old 04-05-2008, 05:50 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HadesMR

Best Post In This Entire Thread.
After all the debating and going back and forth between the two cars, I decided that the S2K is just not practical for a DD. Way too small and absolutely no cargo space. So after some more research and thinking about all my options, I realized that these cars are just not right for me at this time. I ended up getting niether of the two cars, I'm currently saving up for a 2005 Evo IX Mr Much more practical, and I think it would be way more fun to mod... Plus, it'll stick out from the crowd
Old 04-05-2008, 09:58 PM
HadesMR

Originally Posted by 350ZEEEEE
Best Post In This Entire Thread.
After all the debating and going back and forth between the two cars, I decided that the S2K is just not practical for a DD. Way too small and absolutely no cargo space. So after some more research and thinking about all my options, I realized that these cars are just not right for me at this time. I ended up getting niether of the two cars, I'm currently saving up for a 2005 Evo IX Mr Much more practical, and I think it would be way more fun to mod... Plus, it'll stick out from the crowd
Good choice man, Evo 9 MR is a great car. Look on the bright side... you're faster than both cars mentioned earlier, you have more space, you can launch on anything you please, AND you don't have to worry about losing traction (Just kidding, yes you do, don't be a fool like most noob AWD drivers who think that the AWD or 4WD badge on their car/truck means they cannot ever lose control).
Oh and, advice to a new AWD driver! AWD doesn't mean poop when you're breaking, only when you're accelerating, don't forget that.

Good luck man.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:39 AM
DMXfan247

Down side to s2k.. no real factory options for the car.. depending where u live cloth top could be a security issue.. slower than the Z.. less space.. my friend has one here in jersey.. he pays more for insurance than I do.. its a 4 cyl. so that has its plus' n minus' i guess lol.. no traction control.. low end sucks.. if u like a lip on ur aftermarket rims then don't buy a s2k.. etc etc.. Z is the best bang for u buck!
If i had a choice between the two right now after owning my Z for 3 years and driving a AP1 s2k a couple of times.. hands down the Z.. even if the Z costs a little more..
just an opion though.. consider it..
Old 04-06-2008, 05:45 AM
DMXfan247

PS.. EVO sick car.. with lots of potential.. good choice depending on your age..
Old 04-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Datapimp

Originally Posted by ZlleH
Go for the S2000. We need more S2000 out there on the road and less of the 350Z.
+1000
Old 04-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Mike@RiversideInfiniti
Vendor - Former Vendor

1 car? get the Z. The low end power makes it easy to drive, and it has more room inside, offers amenities, etc.

2nd car? get the s2k. Most people here will not want to daily drive it, and unless you're pretty hardcore, you won't want to either.

For comparison purposes, I have a G coupe I daily drive, and a S2k for the weekend.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I daily drove my S for a while. I had the S for 2 years or so. I now have an 04 ZR and love it. S2K would make a great weekend car.

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide! 350z or s2000