Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Do Not Buy The Z!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 02:13 PM
daZgirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Z

I have an '05 roadster, and it's had some issues.....
Top won't latch down completely, unless the temp is at least 80 degrees, in the sun, not shade. Strange.....
While still somewhat cold, 1st and 2nd grinds a bit, no matter how carefully I shift. After about 3-4 minutes, and multiple shifts, it completely stops. What's with that?
Suspension....the dealer admitted that the '05 has suspension imperfections, and eagerly replaced all 4 tires for free. That's a bad sign.
But, I really can't complain. So far, those have been my biggest headaches with the Z. They don't seem that serious compared to other headaches I've encountered with previous cars I've owned.
Now that I've read more about the transmissions in the older Z's, I'm scared of what's to come. My car presently has 31k miles on it.
Maybe I should trade it in for a newer one?
I love having a Z and probably always will have one.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Mrpeepers

Originally Posted by michaeljr6
well you bought a used SPORTS car.....

you = fail

used SPORTS car = beat the **** out
not really.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:46 PM
myladyz33

06 ftw! no probs only some scratches on the inner door panel cuz of that rubber ****
Old 09-02-2007, 03:02 PM
erliuic

Originally Posted by daZgirl
I have an '05 roadster, and it's had some issues.....
Top won't latch down completely, unless the temp is at least 80 degrees, in the sun, not shade. Strange.....
While still somewhat cold, 1st and 2nd grinds a bit, no matter how carefully I shift. After about 3-4 minutes, and multiple shifts, it completely stops. What's with that?
Suspension....the dealer admitted that the '05 has suspension imperfections, and eagerly replaced all 4 tires for free. That's a bad sign.
But, I really can't complain. So far, those have been my biggest headaches with the Z. They don't seem that serious compared to other headaches I've encountered with previous cars I've owned.
Now that I've read more about the transmissions in the older Z's, I'm scared of what's to come. My car presently has 31k miles on it.
Maybe I should trade it in for a newer one?
I love having a Z and probably always will have one.
Sorry but I'd have to say that this has got to be the first constructive post of the thread
Old 09-02-2007, 03:03 PM
KaZ_7

in all honesty dude dont buy a sportscar if ur not an enthusiast cuz these kinda threads get posted where people are gonna bash you until you cry. I mean really who posts this kinda thread on a f****** enthusiast forum. You were skipped the day they put in reason in our DNA werent you?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Jes-Z

This guy has convinced me to get rid of my car.....That's it it's over.......

J/K, I only listen to Premier Members on this site. lol.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jes-Z
This guy has convinced me to get rid of my car.....
Nooooooooo dont sell.......... Your car is wayyy too sick..

I take one for the team and sell mine!!

Jk.. +1 to Premier Members.. lol
Old 09-02-2007, 03:34 PM
SpeedDesign

I bought a used on last year with 19k (I was second owner) and it was pretty much perfect. It needed the tires replace cuz of the feathering issue (but I was gonna get new wheels anyways) and it had the trans replaced (under warranty) for the 3rd/5th gear grind issue.
Otherwise it was perfect. I sold it because I lost my job and couldn't afford it. I'm not in a better job and considering another used one.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:34 PM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

Consumers Reports shows the Z to be one of the most reliable sports cars on the market. Do we have to go through this again with someone who wound up with a lemon or a car that was run into the ground? What a waste of a thread.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Fletch69z

My passenger side window motor went out right before factory warranty on the car expired and the dealer replaced it with no problems (except that they put the door back together wrong and didn't align the window so my buddy and I had to do it, but got a new motor so no biggy). Then a year and 6 days later that replacement motor went out. The dealer said they couldn't cover it because the warranty on the part was only a year. They were very nice though and gave me the Nissan customer service line. I called it and it did take some time for them to talk to the dealer and get everything set up but I have another new window motor and I really didn't have a bad experience at all. I was actually quite pleased except for the time it took to get it taken care of. If you dislike a car that much, get rid of it and get something else. I had a Spec V before this and loved that car. Traded it for the Z and have never had any problems. I worked at a car dealer and drove all sorts of cars and have never found another car that was as consistent or as well put together as my car (drove mostly American, so there you go).
Old 09-02-2007, 06:04 PM
bleufiend

1. You have a 03, first model year of a car, you should know it could have more problems then other model years.

2. The window motors in Z's are notorious for going out quickly, thats just a given, Im not a scientist on it but Id bet that since the majority I replace are on the drivers side its because of the constantly dropping and going up every time you open the door.

3. Its a recall, every car has them, get over it.

4. If your local dealer couldnt diag it then heres a suggestion because Ive found this to be the cause of a Z intermittently not starting for a car in my club, if its a manual then the relay in the IPDM may have gone bad. The relay controls the power for the starter motor by way of your ignition switch, if its going bad then it will intermittently go and come back but once you have the car running its fine.

5.You should of rode that dealer to replace the sideskirt if they did indeed do it, if I get blamed for messing a car up I have to pay for it so you better believe when I pull a car into my bay I make sure i set it up right on the rack.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:21 PM
blazed54

the window motors are always a big issue in sport coupes like this because they have to go up and down every time you open the door. it is an especially big issue in the bmw coupes and you can be damn sure it won't be a cheap fix if you're out of warranty. So one less thing to complain about cause it's not really nissan's fault and to be expected in a sports car.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Teufel
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SILVER 03Z
Will everyone please make fun of me and beat on me?

Yes gladly.....

Seriously that sux you have had those issues....but you can get that on any used car and you knew the 03 was the first model year.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:27 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Jes-Z

J/K, I only listen to Premier Members on this site. lol.
That's wasis.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:44 PM
joe645733

good for u, what makes u think its gonna happen to every single Z. no need to tell everyone not to get one haha. ur an idiot. and i hope the car blows up on u
Old 09-02-2007, 08:00 PM
KaZ_7

^now now what did we learn at Z school
Old 09-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Jes-Z

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Nooooooooo dont sell.......... Your car is wayyy too sick..

I take one for the team and sell mine!!
Ok, you go right ahead and hook me up with all your mods. lol.

I can't stop laughing that he went through the trouble of going to MY350Z ( a Site dedicated to Z's) and posted a warning not to buy a Z. It's like going to a Mortgage Convention and telling everyone in the place not to buy a home becuase he got a bad mortgage rate. lol.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:07 PM
RichinAz

Any sports car needs more maintenance than an econo box. You could have bought one that was driven hard and not taken care of. I've always owned corvettes and they have alot more problems than the Z's. It's nice to have a sports car thats reliable. And posting about don't buy a Z on here will probably fall on deaf ears.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:13 PM
RichinAz

This isn't of importance to this thread but from what I've read about the window motors on the Z's they are using too soft of brushes on the window motors. Thats why some people are cleaning out the armatures with toothpicks and contact cleaner and they start working. When mine does fail I'll get some harder brushes that don't throw as much carbon dust out and post the part number for them and where to buy them on here.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:24 PM
chill47

you've got me thinking if i should get rid of the z now........j/k

Quick Reply: Do Not Buy The Z!!