Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Just bought an 06 and struggling deciding what to do first

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:09 PM
imjdoggie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voboy
... To lose hp. lol. Keep the 06 airbox.
Why would you say this, can you back it up??? I'm very curious about this?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:16 PM
andrew538

clear corner..rims/tires...suspension..
Old 09-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by cougfan350
New to the site and just picked up an 06 Z 2 weeks ago. Looking for any input as to recommendations for mods. Previous background came from toyota pickups so in for a bit of a change. LOVE my Z though any input would be great.

You could do what I did..

1) Rims
2) Nismo Suspension
3) Nismo Exhaust & Intake
4) Bodykit & Spoiler

It's a fun ride
Old 09-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Suvlaki

first thing I did was the JWT intake and STILLEN True-Dual exhaust. I love the new tone and some power gains were noticeable on the street.

my next step is some STILLEN Sways and a Motordyne 5/16" spacer, since florida tends to get hot sometimes...
Old 09-15-2007, 02:01 PM
z33allme

Dump It!
Old 09-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Wheelman

Originally Posted by z33allme
Dump It!
You're an idiot.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:25 PM
TurboTrey

Make your first payment.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:33 AM
whitecel

to me, i wanna keep my warranty so the first thing i'm doing is kit, nismo exhaust, and rims. Then when the warranty is up, suspension and maybe more
Old 09-16-2007, 02:53 AM
LouiZ

i think the whole thing about the aftermarket intakes not adding hp is BS....i raced a friend on the interstate and let him get the jump...i only have a popcharger and hes completely stock i easily caught up to him and eventually passed him by 2 cars and stayed at that point...
Old 09-16-2007, 04:34 AM
xxnismoxx

Originally Posted by LouiZ
i think the whole thing about the aftermarket intakes not adding hp is BS....i raced a friend on the interstate and let him get the jump...i only have a popcharger and hes completely stock i easily caught up to him and eventually passed him by 2 cars and stayed at that point...
I can back that up, I did the same thing with my friend with all his double clutching and power shifting I still got him with my jwt pop charger.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:56 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cougfan350
New to the site and just picked up an 06 Z 2 weeks ago. Looking for any input as to recommendations for mods. Previous background came from toyota pickups so in for a bit of a change. LOVE my Z though any input would be great.

i suggest you read this thread completely and do what it suggests.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/50429-new-350z-owners-read-this-before-doing-any-modifications-to-your-z.html
Old 09-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Nalizan

Originally Posted by imjdoggie
Why would you say this, can you back it up??? I'm very curious about this?
I did some searching and have not found an actual dyno result between pop charger vs stock '06 intake. However I have read several threads on these forums with talk that the '06 intake + drop in filter is just as good if not better than a pop charger or other aftermarket intake.

I went with the drop in K&N and left my stock '06 intake because for less money and no stalling issues you seem to get the same results or close to a pop charger without the heat soak.

If a dyno comes along or is out there that shows otherwise I might switch at that time but I don't see a reason at this time.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hlight=v+stack

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ight=06+airbox

quote from the 100 questions thread

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Q: What are some advantages and disadvantages of different intakes? Should I go for a cold air intake (CAI), a JWT popcharger, or any other suggestions?

A:
03-05 Stock intake:

pro: sucks COLD air from outside your engine bay, has low pressure losses, OEM paper filter is very good making this the cleanest intake for your engine

con: once you start flowing a lot more air in general, stock intake box may start to be restrictive.

2006+ Stock intake:

pro: same as above, except with an improved velocity stack / venturi ring. This accelerates air coming into the plenum, which is a more efficient design. Arguably the best intake available for the 350Z in my humble opinion.

con: same as above, but still one of the best out there

JWT popcharger:

pro: can suck higher volume of air compared to stock due to high performance filter. Improved velocity stack (venturi ring) compared even to 06+ stock intake. The venturi ring accelerates air coming into your plenum for added power.

con: sucks hot air from engine bay and heat shield does not really help all that much in preventing it from sucking hot air. People have reported a problem stalling when travelling at high speeds and putting the car in neutral with this intake.

STILLEN Intake:

pro: similar design to the JWT popcharger. Includes a venturi ring, and a very functional cold-air-box to make this one of the best intake available. Does not suffer from the same hot air sucking as the JWT popcharger.

con: the price is significantly higher than the JWT intake, but this is the only Con I can think of.

Long tube CAI such as Nismo, Injen:

pro: sucks colder air, (note...so does stock)

con: More pressure losses due to a longer tube. This is a fact of life folks. More bends and longer tube = more pressure losses. In fact, long tube CAI's have even shown horsepower LOSSES on a dyno.

K&N typhoon (short tube like stock intake / JWT popcharger, but includes a front-mounted scoop):

pro: cone-type filter should suck a higher volume of air compared to stock. attempts to offset JWT popcharger's hot-air syndrome by incorporating a cold air scoop.

con: hard to prove that the scoop is actually effective

HKS Racing Suction

pro: Shorter tube like stock, higher flowing filter

con: People have stated that the install is difficult, price is rather high for what seems like a minimal improvement over JWT popcharger
Old 09-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Hokie Z

that makes it sound like stillen's the way to go... that's the one I was considering, is it worth it coming from a stock 06?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:46 PM
peterkim0121

you know what i whould do ?

i will take the car to dealer and have them change oil and see if your car consumes any oil then any mods...