Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

VDC off=$200 tow truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Probably the most stupid post I've ever seen here or on any Forum. No factual basis and purely guessing with just a little metaphysical added to the mix.

--Spike
Old 09-13-2007, 07:43 PM
LeMans 05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, you said the VDC was off when you turned the car back on?!?! VDC is automatically on when the car is started. Secondly, learn how to drive. If you're driving spiritedly, don't shift mid-corner. Driving 101.

edit: FWIW, I believe your story, but I also believe you need to learn how to drive better.

Last edited by LeMans 05; 09-13-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:53 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Probably the most stupid post I've ever seen here or on any Forum. No factual basis and purely guessing with just a little metaphysical added to the mix.

--Spike
I'm not sure what you are talking about????

Fact - if tires have NO traction VDC will not stop the car from spinning, how cant it?

Fact - it was raining - thus the roads were slick.

Fact - If the VDC computer can't react to slip fast enough or stop slip it will fault out - I've seen it do it first hand.

So, there were quite a bit of facts used.

The scenario I created is more believable then the driver accidently hitting the VDC Off button with his knee.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. I shouldnt have posted even though I drive a 350 and this a Z forum. So Im a bad driver? Never said I was a good one. I havent been in a REAL accident ever and Im 30. So I cant be THAT bad. I freaked out, slid and got a tow. Point of story: VDC works, WELL (IMO) and will be SO careful in the future ESPECIALLY on a wet road. Im just glad I, and the car came away completely unscathed. Just sharing a Z experience fella's....
Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by KPierson
I'm not sure what you are talking about????

Fact - if tires have NO traction VDC will not stop the car from spinning, how cant it?

Fact - it was raining - thus the roads were slick.

Fact - If the VDC computer can't react to slip fast enough or stop slip it will fault out - I've seen it do it first hand.

So, there were quite a bit of facts used.

The scenario I created is more believable then the driver accidently hitting the VDC Off button with his knee.
So… your idea is that out of 4 tires, not one single tire had any traction at all? Dream on.

And… your understanding of VDC is incorrect.

--Spike
Old 09-13-2007, 08:12 PM
BrandonS2K

wow terrible luck man.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Firebase99

So… your idea is that out of 4 tires, not one single tire had any traction at all? Dream on.

And… your understanding of VDC is incorrect.

--Spike
ok, thanks pal. Please, pass to me your immaculate wisdom on Vehicle Dynamic Control. I have a pretty good idea what it does. Having experienced first hand what it DOES do and the fact it WORKS, thats really all I care about. But, go ahead, enlighten me Master Z Jedi. As if I freakin' care....
Old 09-13-2007, 08:16 PM
KPierson
Banned

On a slippery road, if he cut the wheel hard, it is very possible that no tire had ENOUGH traction to have an impact on the car slowing down.

How is my understanding of VDC incorrect?

VDC works by individually braking each tire as necesarry and, if slip is severe enough, cutting throttle. Braking isn't going to do anything for a car with no traction (just like ABS brakes don't help on snow). Cutting the throttle isn't going to reduce momentum.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Spike100

...Cutting the throttle isn't going to reduce momentum.
You may find that is not an easily defended argument.

--Spike
Old 09-13-2007, 08:25 PM
KPierson
Banned

If the car is slipping please tell me how cutting the throttle is going to slow it down?

You've got 3200+lbs of metal traveling ~30mph with no solid grip on anything. Engine RPM/gearing/brakes arn't going to help you at all.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Spike100

^^ So… you’re in agreement with this guy… a big bug flew inside his car… his knee hit the VDC button turning it off and causing him to go into a skid?

--Spike
Old 09-13-2007, 08:30 PM
KPierson
Banned

No, that wasn't what I was saying at all. I'm saying that if the slip is bad enough on a wet road that VDC won't save you.

I seriously doubt he ever shut VDC off. I'm guessing that it simply couldn't fix his driving mistake due to a lack of traction caused by the wet roads and high rate of speed.

The bug most likely startled him and he pulled the wheel down. The VDC system can only 'fix' so much error in any one situation. At some point it has to pass its threshold for recovery.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Firebase99

Wanna see some bugs? Big ones? Come to Florida. Frigging pterodactyl. I dont think it flew in my car, I think it was already there. YUCk!!! Car did feel a bit sluggish.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 PM
iceagetlc

Originally Posted by Firebase99
Wow. I shouldnt have posted even though I drive a 350 and this a Z forum. So Im a bad driver? Never said I was a good one. I havent been in a REAL accident ever and Im 30. So I cant be THAT bad. I freaked out, slid and got a tow. Point of story: VDC works, WELL (IMO) and will be SO careful in the future ESPECIALLY on a wet road. Im just glad I, and the car came away completely unscathed. Just sharing a Z experience fella's....
Don't tell US to be careful, I was 18 and for two years drove my Z in rain AND snow with VDC off and never felt I lost control, YOU'RE 30 and have to make up ridiculous lies about "hitting" VDC with your knee for a scapegoat in the fact that you deserve to drive an RSX.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Spike100

No, that wasn't what I was saying at all. I'm saying that if the slip is bad enough on a wet road that VDC won't save you.

I seriously doubt he ever shut VDC off. I'm guessing that it simply couldn't fix his driving mistake due to a lack of traction caused by the wet roads and high rate of speed.

The bug most likely startled him and he pulled the wheel down. The VDC system can only 'fix' so much error in any one situation. At some point it has to pass its threshold for recovery.
Gee... I think you finally got it... read back a few posts and you see this is exactly what we were saying.

--Spike
Old 09-13-2007, 09:06 PM
KPierson
Banned

Gee... I think you finally got it... read back a few posts and you see this is exactly what we were saying.

--Spike
How did I finally get it? I've been saying the EXACT same thing since my first post in this thread (https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=80).

I read the entire thread, and I didn't read a single comment about the VDC system not being able to fix his mistake. All I read was a bunch of people telling him it was impossible for his story to be true.

All I was trying to do was give a scenario where his story could be true, and the scenario I give in the above post COULD happen, without him ever shutting VDC off. His only clue that VDC was even off was the fact that the light was on when he RESTARTED the car, something that wouldn't happen since VDC defaults to the 'on' setting unless you have modified the system.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tubbs
HAHAHAHAHA!! OOOH yes... the VDC is also known as the SUICIDE button. Once pressed, it turns the car into an uncontrollable spin beast.
Thats what 286hp, 276ft/lbs translates to!!!

Depressing...
Old 09-13-2007, 11:39 PM
SekZee

Originally Posted by Tubbs
HAHAHAHAHA!! OOOH yes... the VDC is also known as the SUICIDE button. Once pressed, it turns the car into an uncontrollable spin beast.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:19 AM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i had an xterra i wouldnt dream of turing the VDC off. i would purposly try to spin out in the snow w/ w/out the VDC to see how it worked. i honestly dont understand you guys that turn off the TCS & VDC.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:20 AM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverstone-Z
Thats what 286hp, 276ft/lbs translates to!!!

Depressing...
unless this guy was mashing the gas, i doubt he was using all 286hp.

Quick Reply: VDC off=$200 tow truck