Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

filling up

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007 | 07:04 PM
Specv_USMC

Default filling up

OK, so I needed gas, first time at he pump in the Z. One my fuel door is really flimsy, but on with the post...

I had about 1/4 tank left, I started filling and after jus t4 gallons it did the "your done noise" I tried again and it did it, one more time and a little fuel came out the over fill hole thingy. SOOOOOO, is this a probably anyone else has had? Do I need to place the nozzle in a certain way? Should I find another gas station!

Mike
Old 10-10-2007 | 08:28 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran
Premier Member

do not top off
Old 10-10-2007 | 08:44 PM
350ziggy

just filled up the first time as well and I filled up just as soon as the light came on to check how much was used. Filled up 16.2 gallons before it stopped filling. I dont think that it should stop only after 4 gallons from having only a .25 left in the tank. It should keep going till about 12 gallons from the last .25 line.
Old 10-10-2007 | 08:56 PM
jaspendlove

I get that too, but I get a little more than four gallons. The needle only goes up to the 3/4 mark.
Old 10-10-2007 | 10:10 PM
Z_Driver
Master
Premier Member

You guys might want to do a search on this topic. Here is one of the many threads posted on the subject. There are a couple of TSB's out there plus some have found rather creative ways of dealing with this issue. I haven't had this problem on my Z but, I have on a few other cars.

One of the threads to look at:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ight=fuel+fill
Old 10-10-2007 | 11:14 PM
md350

For me its not overfilling that's the problem...its underfilling! About a quarter of the time I have to tilt the nozzle or pull it out some so it doesn't stop.

Seems like a common problem though....I'm sure lots of people deal with this. But OVERfilling??? No idea.
Old 10-10-2007 | 11:47 PM
Strider619

The Z doesn't like to be filled if it has a quarter and up left on the tank. Fill it up full when it touches the last line on the gauge, almost before the low gas warning light comes on. So basically, if you're almost empty (not quarter) then fill her up all the way... your next stop on the gas station is when she's almost empty again.
Old 10-10-2007 | 11:56 PM
blazed54

Originally Posted by Strider619
The Z doesn't like to be filled if it has a quarter and up left on the tank. Fill it up full when it touches the last line on the gauge, almost before the low gas warning light comes on. So basically, if you're almost empty (not quarter) then fill her up all the way... your next stop on the gas station is when she's almost empty again.
Not necessarily. I've always filled up the Z right around 1/4 tank and it's filled to the top no problem. However, one time i did drive her almost dry and i'm sure i could've put in 18 gallons. But that one time is also the first time I had problems filling gas. 4 gallons went in, click, click, click...nothing. pull the nozzle out wait 10 sec, another 3-4 gallons went in and then click, click, click, nothing. finally i managed to squeeze out another couple more gallons then gave up. Haven't filled her up again since then but hopefully it doesn't do it again it's annoying as hell.
P.S. my brother's 03 G35 coupe does the same thing. But has never happened once to my tsx or camry.
Old 10-11-2007 | 12:02 AM
Strider619

Originally Posted by blazed54
Not necessarily. I've always filled up the Z right around 1/4 tank and it's filled to the top no problem. However, one time i did drive her almost dry and i'm sure i could've put in 18 gallons. But that one time is also the first time I had problems filling gas. 4 gallons went in, click, click, click...nothing. pull the nozzle out wait 10 sec, another 3-4 gallons went in and then click, click, click, nothing. finally i managed to squeeze out another couple more gallons then gave up. Haven't filled her up again since then but hopefully it doesn't do it again it's annoying as hell.
P.S. my brother's 03 G35 coupe does the same thing. But has never happened once to my tsx or camry.
ah.. there are a lot of theories why these cars do it, there are several threads about this also if you guys care to search. From what I read, these things factor in why it gets touchy

1. Amount of gas left in the tank
2. Angle of the pump and your car
3. Where you get your gas
3. Leave the gas cap open for a couple of minutes to let vapors out
4. Amount of clicks when you close your gas cap

some are silly but you get my drift, I havn't had the problem since I started doing the near empty then fill full trick
Old 10-11-2007 | 12:06 AM
black06z

Originally Posted by Strider619
ah.. there are a lot of theories why these cars do it, there are several threads about this also if you guys care to search. From what I read, these things factor in why it gets touchy

1. Amount of gas left in the tank
2. Angle of the pump and your car
3. Where you get your gas
3. Leave the gas cap open for a couple of minutes to let vapors out
4. Amount of clicks when you close your gas cap

some are silly but you get my drift, I havn't had the problem since I started doing the near empty then fill full trick
+1
Old 10-11-2007 | 03:41 AM
Specv_USMC

wow, ok, i got all that! thanks alot, and yeah, sry for not searching. but thanks for the info. Ill try again and if it does it ill be waiting till near empty to fill up.

mike
Old 10-11-2007 | 04:08 AM
gaby_978

I have the same issue but with my wifes Altima. i fill up and it never shows full. It always shows 3/4 of a tank. I dont remember the last time i saw the car saying it was full.
Old 10-11-2007 | 04:17 AM
joepark

Originally Posted by Specv_USMC
OK, so I needed gas, first time at he pump in the Z. One my fuel door is really flimsy, but on with the post...

I had about 1/4 tank left, I started filling and after jus t4 gallons it did the "your done noise" I tried again and it did it, one more time and a little fuel came out the over fill hole thingy. SOOOOOO, is this a probably anyone else has had? Do I need to place the nozzle in a certain way? Should I find another gas station!

Mike

Happened to me once. Not since then. I think I just left the gas station and pulled into another one and it let me fill up. weird.
Old 10-11-2007 | 06:50 AM
Tim@WestCovinaNissan
Banned

There is a TSB for this issue. Take it to a dealer, if you're still under warranty they will fix it for free. THe shutter valve needs to be replaced.
Old 10-11-2007 | 07:19 AM
Fletch69z

Just pull the nozzle out a little bit of the way and it should start going. It has to do with the angle of the fill tube. I usually know about how many gallons of gas it will take to get me to full so I can tell if it's really full or not.
Old 10-11-2007 | 09:49 AM
trodis
350Z-holic
Premier Member

+1 on that dam flimsy *** gas door
Old 10-11-2007 | 09:54 AM
VQZ33_Jake

Mike
i have the same issue, fills up just below the full line. i took it to the stealership because my car is under warranty. after two hours of waiting in the waiting room, they told me they recognize the problem but they dont know whats causing it...so i am still left with the issue.

Jake
Old 10-11-2007 | 02:13 PM
Specv_USMC

ddi the same today, called nissan, and no return call yet. Im really upset, looks like ill be changing service dealers... yet again. I only got 2gal this time.

mike
Old 10-11-2007 | 02:25 PM
MulhollandDrive

Do I need to place the nozzle in a certain way?
As discussed in other threads, if it stops too soon, try reinserting the nozzle upside down. Usually does the trick.
Old 10-11-2007 | 05:40 PM
Specv_USMC

upside down, hmmm. Ill try that tomorrow.

Quick Reply: filling up