Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Any 2006 owners drive a 07 HR?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:51 AM
johns350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliTouring
i owned an 06 and drove my friends 08. the only difference that i could tell from the short time i drove the 08 is that the engine sounds quieter.
I was going to say the same (quieter exhaust?) - but thought it was just my perception. Both cars I drove had very similar milage...
Old 12-27-2007, 04:47 AM
RBlover69

driving impressions driving both

HR more tq range down low simliar to my previous 287 with the revups top end. Exhaust note was def quieter with more sound coming from the duel intake then the exhaust itself. The engine seems to perfectly balanced between the 287 and revup being that the curve has the benefits of both motors in a linear fashion. The higher rev limiter is nice aswell because the engine outputs more of its power at a lower rpm then any other VQ in the Z.

Would i trade....hmmmm maybey if i had a 287, but with my revup and seeing how as they can get closer to the 300rwhp goal NA ...already seen 290 rwhp and high 280 revups....and thats not with the best parts and VTC manipualtion. I really have no desire to have a 3.5 HR. Now if the 3.8HR came out i would def trade but after racing the HR with my homegirl the diffrence to me modding wise can make up for the loss in tq. There hasnt been much vids of previous Zs racing HR motors. i would love to see a revup with the 1/2 spacer and a mrev 2 vs a stock HR.

as we all knwo the 06.5 Z are identical body and feature wise minues the engine components. And clutch engagment feature (which is horrid btw lol)

PS. The nismo Z though is a amazing bargin if a trade was in order nismo Z is the only choice suspension components are def worth it in my opinion but anything less isnt worth it.

Last edited by RBlover69; 12-27-2007 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:05 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3.5HR has more performance improvement to mods so far than the REV-UP. Even though the REV-UP got a big jump from a spacer, the HR gets a large jump from exhaust unlike the REV-UP. The HR has more potential to easily go over 300rwhp.

The one I ran was a REV-UP with the MREV kit, Catback exhaust, test pipes, intake, not sure what else he had since it's been a while.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:20 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
3.5HR has more performance improvement to mods so far than the REV-UP. Even though the REV-UP got a big jump from a spacer, the HR gets a large jump from exhaust unlike the REV-UP. The HR has more potential to easily go over 300rwhp.

The one I ran was a REV-UP with the MREV kit, Catback exhaust, test pipes, intake, not sure what else he had since it's been a while.
well thats still to debate in my view.

Does the HR have the ability to do way over 300rwhp def....it def has the best shot but has it been done...not yet...development NA wise is leaning more so to FI then anything. But there are cams etc coming out but even thats leaning towards FI . I def think its the best motor i eman denying that would be ludicrice. But i think the exhaust debate is questionable because dynos on the exhaust have flucuated quiet frequently here. I mean i seen a 20rwhp dyno posted which was obviously not realistic in my view on these cars. All i have seen so far are 10rwhp increases etc which are consitant to what stillen exhausts where doing for the revups aswell. Now what i seen that was crazy was with the exhaust complelty off on my home girls car was insane because the gain was def there....but with the exhuast on the gains where marginal typical of a exhuast gain on most Zs. I have seen test pipes making more of a gain on the HR but then again the engine comes with more hp to begin with if you add the gain its really marginal as the DE was. The engine just has more power thus puts out more power with mods. But the ratio to me is still marginal NA wise. FI will to me be the great test of how much psi wise the HR can hold vs the de because so far the de love FI and makes awesome power per psi for what it is...

intake wise ..a intake on a revup is actaully pointless actually hinders it on most dynos i seen...on a 287 its def worth it because it lacks the velocity stacks .
I wanna seee what amuse does with its nismo 3.5 HR ......but they dropped it for the 3.8 RS HR ...damn after busting that azz with the revup with weight reduction i thought they where gonna murder the touge with the 3.5HR. But ...the 3.8 would be my only trade worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by RBlover69; 12-27-2007 at 05:36 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:24 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by RBlover69
well thats still to debate in my view.

Does the HR have the ability to do way over 300rwhp def....it def has the best shot but has it been done...not yet...development NA wise is leaning more so to FI then anything. But there are cams etc coming out but even thats leaning towards FI . I def think its the best motor i eman denying that would be ludacrise. But i think the exhaust debate is questionable because dynos on the exhaust have flucuated quiet frequently here. I mean i seen a 20rwhp dyno posted which was obviously not realistic in my view on these cars. All i have seen so far are 10rwhp increases etc which are consitant to what stillen exhausts where doing for the revups aswell. Now what i seen that was crazy was with the exhaust complelty off on my home girls car was insane because the gain was def there....but with the exhuast on the gains where marginal typical of a exhuast gain on most Zs. I have seen test pipes making more of a gain on the HR but then again the engine comes with more hp to begin with if you add the gain its really marginal as the DE was. The engine just has more power thus puts out more power with mods. But the ratio to me is still marginal NA wise. FI will to me be the great test of how much psi wise the HR can hold vs the de because so far the de love FI and makes awesome power per psi for what it is...
Yea I wouldn't believe one 20 rwhp dyno, but when you had half a dozen of them, then yes I would believe it. lol.

I had a REV-UP and was one of the few that actually prototyped it for MD. The HR is definitely a more powerful engine. I had all 3 models, a 04, a 05 REV-UP (G35), and now the Z HR.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:56 AM
RBlover69

Yea I wouldn't believe one 20 rwhp dyno, but when you had half a dozen of them, then yes I would believe it. lol.

I had a REV-UP and was one of the few that actually prototyped it for MD. The HR is definitely a more powerful engine. I had all 3 models, a 04, a 05 REV-UP (G35), and now the Z HR.
me also i had a 287 and a revup and drove a HR i dont deny it makes more power. But for a trade i dont think the gains are worth the trade if one owns a Z already . Unless your going with a nismo Z or maybey if you had a auto Z lol. My goal is to make 300rwhp i have no doubts that the revup can do it tuned easier then the 287 and thats my goal. So its not a matter of which motor is better because the newest motor will always win that argument just like how the 3.8HR complelty dominates the 3.5HRs power curve and the 3.7HR making companies liek amuse kill the 3.5HR project in its infant stage (meanining it had the shortest trial time) for the 3.8HR. But its the trade NA wise per hp dollar wise that i think isnt worth it if you already own a Z with low milage.

This will be my setup for my Revup and i have yet to see the results with these mods

1/2 spacer with mrev 2 or crawford plenum
jwt S7 cams
crawford headers
WRP or KJR pullies
osirus VTC manipualtion and increase rev limit to that of the HR with the hope that the plenum or the spacer will make power to that RPM along with the Cams
Any TD exhaust really but im curious to see what motordyne aka tonys exhaust will do since hes working on some crazy deveoplment with it. Hopfully it will be a 2.5 through out exhaust.
Metallic Hi flow cats 2.5 aswell
a nice flywheel setup
NO AC....proven to me more HP lol...well hey ..its true lmao.

very curious to see the potential if japan is getting crazy number NA we should be able also NA wise granted they are using dynos that to some defy gravity but it is what it is lol. so far the only one that comes close to this are Z1 i believe . But yea in the long run couldve just gone FI. But hey its a NA game..not to mention with higher compression what numbers can be had.

Last edited by RBlover69; 12-27-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:28 AM
RBlover69

thank god there isnt a half dozen of them....they all have diff dynos with diff calibrations and def dont make 20rwhp lmao
Old 12-27-2007, 11:33 AM
13SECZ

I have all of the bolt ons you say you beat ....I have an 06 also..

I ran a modded 04 and lost...In my revup those mods did not do much w/out a good tune from the UTEC...after my tune I ran that same car and after being pulled by 2-3, I pulled him by 2-3....

Tuning makes all the diff w/bolt ons in our cars...

A bolted up rev up w/a tune should pull an 07HR...easily...2-3 by 120mph...I want to try this spring ...gotta find an HR in the north east...
Old 12-27-2007, 12:03 PM
RBlover69

yea of course tuning is needed for sure but ....question do you have the 5/16 spacer or 1/2 and did osirus uprev tune and manipulate VTC in your tune. Theres is power def to be made there aswell thats why i ask. Also are you using crawford headers ??

And how does your car idle with the S7 cams. Always wondered how that behaved.

Last edited by RBlover69; 12-27-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Bumpinjeep

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 13SECZ
A bolted up rev up w/a tune should pull an 07HR...easily...2-3 by 120mph...I want to try this spring ...gotta find an HR in the north east...
i suppose pigs fly too?
Old 12-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Riley07

Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep
i suppose pigs fly too?

I have a friend with a 06 with full bolt-ons and supposedly he is tuned and I still pulled on him after 2nd and 3rd gear....At the time I just had the X02 exhaust....He was quite mad about it Not trying to be an *** about it, but I think the HR is a all around "beefier" engine than the previous models...Modded or not
Old 12-27-2007, 05:37 PM
gabez33

anyone not dick riding the HR is crazy, its the most amazing engine ever made on the planet, with the most potential ever. to compare 03-06 13sec car to 07+ 13sec car is just ****ing ludacris...no way no how HR>any combustion engine ever....please gimmie a ****ing break .... its a better engine no doubt, but people are gettin waaaaay to big headed around here
Old 12-27-2007, 05:45 PM
13SECZ

the numbers in my sig are on a low reading dd dyno..I should make around 280+ whp on a dyno jet...with that being said look at my trque...Hr's dont make anywhere near that at the wheels....I pull HR's all day long. Not being cocky but just honest...Plus drivers do make a diff too.....I can only tell you some of the cars Ive pulled...

5.7 GTO's
V8 S4
Mazdaspeed3 Hatch
Evo w/exhaust and intake...

Till I get to the track thats my only benchmarks..
Old 12-27-2007, 05:46 PM
Riley07

Originally Posted by gabez33
anyone not dick riding the HR is crazy, its the most amazing engine ever made on the planet, with the most potential ever. to compare 03-06 13sec car to 07+ 13sec car is just ****ing ludacris...no way no how HR>any combustion engine ever....please gimmie a ****ing break .... its a better engine no doubt, but people are gettin waaaaay to big headed around here
Old 12-27-2007, 05:50 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

03-06 is a 14 sec car if they are lucky a 13 sec. Most hit 14s. Most 07+ hit mid 13s with some in the low 13s all stock.

The 03-06 car is a slower car. Time slips prove that in the drag times area. Stock cars.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:51 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Originally Posted by 13SECZ
the numbers in my sig are on a low reading dd dyno..I should make around 280+ whp on a dyno jet...with that being said look at my trque...Hr's dont make anywhere near that at the wheels....I pull HR's all day long. Not being cocky but just honest...Plus drivers do make a diff too.....I can only tell you some of the cars Ive pulled...

5.7 GTO's
V8 S4
Mazdaspeed3 Hatch
Evo w/exhaust and intake...

Till I get to the track thats my only benchmarks..
Right..you pulled those cars. lol
Old 12-27-2007, 06:01 PM
gabez33

i never said 03-06 was faster, but the HR is not the godly engine of em all, most of the best HR times are from previous best DE timers, look at ACEMAN hes got a 287 DE in low 13's, damn near kissing 12's with small mod list, people are acting like the HR is a full second faster than the DE
Old 12-27-2007, 06:02 PM
gabez33

Right..you pulled those cars. lol
I believe the mazda speed
Old 12-27-2007, 06:05 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

i never said 03-06 was faster, but the HR is not the godly engine of em all, most of the best HR times are from previous best DE timers, look at ACEMAN hes got a 287 DE in low 13's, damn near kissing 12's with small mod list, people are acting like the HR is a full second faster than the DE
The HR is the best engine that Nissan has made to DATE and the best one in the Z period.

STOCK the HR has hit low 13s with clutch issues. STOCK not modded. Mods, they will hit 12s, actually they already are.

Open your eyes!! I had a DE, and now a HR and know for a fact the HR is a better engine and is faster than the older one.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:07 PM
13SECZ

No need to lie..my internet ***** isnt really that big..I was there...I did...w/my mods and a good driver, you 2 could...My car runs strong..

Oh and a stage 2 Cobalt..but I didnt need that on the list.

Quick Reply: Any 2006 owners drive a 07 HR?