Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Are AUTO Z's considered "Fast"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:10 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to own a manual and now I own an auto. I don't think the power is noticeable. If you are good at driving stick, it will likely get slightly better 1/4 mile times, but on the street, it will not be noticeable. I have a lot of reasons I got an auto, but it is definitely up to your preference. You should just go test drive a few and see what you think. The one major down-side to an auto is if you want to race off the line, you can't rev up past about 2000 RPM due to the torque converter. You won't launch as quickly as a manual. That doesn't matter if you go FI, however.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here, watch this video from Alberto. Now tell me can you do that with an auto.......i don't think so.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/b...93ed9fc20b.htm

You can chirp your tires from 1st gear to 3rd gear every time you shift hard ..with the car being stock...even forth gear with less then 50% thread on teh rear tires.....lol, sorry, people actually think that's cool when i do that around here.

Last edited by SuperBlack350z; 01-02-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:17 PM
SniperHunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand...isn't the general consensus here that automatics are better for FI? :|
Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I don't understand...isn't the general consensus here that automatics are better for FI? :|
no. Maybe when you hit such a high hp/tq number that wheel spin is an issue, or something like that. I could only think a few people on here with an automatic z that is running fast times...coachk, etc. The rest are all 6 speeds.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:22 PM
DaveZ06

hope this doesnt become another war thread between stick & auto ><
Old 01-02-2008, 09:38 PM
280z/300zx

Here is the question, do you race at all? If you go to the track or like to have some fun on the street (hey some people are into that) then an auto is not for you. No matter if you are drag racing, auto-x, etc the auto just won't compete with the manual. The manual allows much more control over the car. Sure with your average manual driver the auto will keep up but with a competent driver the manual will always beat the auto. However if you are just into having a nice car with no intention of racing, modding, etc then get the auto if it's the better buy. It really depends on what you plan to do with the car. Many people think they will be happy with an auto sports car only to find they want the manual. Just don't make that mistake.

Lastly, just me personaly, I wouldn't buy a used automatic sports car. Autos are known to be weaker than manuals and usually with sports cars they have been beat on. You never know what kind of miles those are on the car when you buy it. For all you know it's some 16 year old kid who used to do neutral drops in it to burn out. Like someone mentioned, a clutch is much cheaper to replace than a tranny. Good luck
Old 01-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Accordaleer

Ehhh being able to chirp tires is cool like the first time you do it heh. Seems like a dumb reason to want stick. Anyway like the others said this isnt a pos trans like older cars had. The downside is launching at 2k, but thats when you go to a track, to be honest i dont drive like a maniac often and i like my tires so i dont launch heh. Just remember car cost isnt everything, you have to take into account the insurance on the car.

Theres nothing like a brand new car, but theres also nothing like a car that turns heads like the Z. Most of us arent TT'ing their Z so auto's are fine. I plan on getting an exhaust, I dont think theres anything wrong with it, either way you hear your exhaust wether stock or not. Cant help that it shifts fast as hell. I love auto's I get sick of even manual mode to be honest.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Accordaleer

Don't make the car sound like its just an item to show lol. I think plenty of us have fun with our auto's, I know I do. I didnt get the car to just show people. You cant launch at 5k so what. The tranny will shift much faster than a person. It's still fast as hell, dont make it sound like only old men buy auto's lol.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:46 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Accordaleer
Don't make the car sound like its just an item to show lol. I think plenty of us have fun with our auto's, I know I do. I didnt get the car to just show people. You cant launch at 5k so what. The tranny will shift much faster than a person. It's still fast as hell, dont make it sound like only old men buy auto's lol.
we drive 350zs. most people on here will run high 14's in the quarter mile. Not sure about you, but that's not fast as hell.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:51 PM
SniperHunter

Traction issues don't really have much to do with speed or the car, but more of the driver's skill. From a roll, when traction isn't an issue, the Zs move quite fast.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:54 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
Traction issues don't really have much to do with speed or the car, but more of the driver's skill. From a roll, when traction isn't an issue, the Zs move quite fast.
are you serious? if that's the case, i wonder why teh guys running the good times in the drag section have drag radials or slicks. they must have no driver skills.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:06 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 280z/300zx
Here is the question, do you race at all? If you go to the track or like to have some fun on the street (hey some people are into that) then an auto is not for you. No matter if you are drag racing, auto-x, etc the auto just won't compete with the manual. The manual allows much more control over the car. Sure with your average manual driver the auto will keep up but with a competent driver the manual will always beat the auto. However if you are just into having a nice car with no intention of racing, modding, etc then get the auto if it's the better buy. It really depends on what you plan to do with the car. Many people think they will be happy with an auto sports car only to find they want the manual. Just don't make that mistake.

Lastly, just me personaly, I wouldn't buy a used automatic sports car. Autos are known to be weaker than manuals and usually with sports cars they have been beat on. You never know what kind of miles those are on the car when you buy it. For all you know it's some 16 year old kid who used to do neutral drops in it to burn out. Like someone mentioned, a clutch is much cheaper to replace than a tranny. Good luck
I don't want to argue about which is better. I have had both and it is personal preference. The main thing to remember here is that it is preference only. The Auto is NOT weaker than the manual in a 350z, and I'd be more worried about replacing the clutch assembly, throw out bearing, clutch, flywheel etc if a teenager had the car. It is much more likely that a teenager tore up the manual than the auto. But anyway, the condition of the car is the condition of the car. He didn't say I'm looking at buying an abused auto 350z that has a ruined transmission. He is asking about the power/speed of the car. The difference is negligible.

And just to clarify, an excellent driver in Z with stick will NOT shift faster than a Z with auto if the auto tranny is upgraded. I only mention this, since you made it a blanket statement, even when mentioning modding.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Just wait till you find a Stick , besided who wants an automatic sports car? Leave auto's to the girls.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:52 PM
thanh27

I think the OP's main question was whether or not there was a HP difference between the auto and manual Z's. If that, in fact, was your question...correct me if I am wrong forum member's, but up until the new HR engine's in the 07 wasn't the manual rated slightly higher in HP number's from the factory than the auto's? And I think it wasn't until 07/HR that the factories HP output was the same for both versions.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:48 AM
trains1937

Received 119 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Accordaleer
What's wrong with old men buying ATs? Makes them feel like young men.

Seriously, its nice to see an objective, cool thread regarding the pros and cons of MTs and ATs.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:53 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh boy a manual vs automatic thread.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:59 AM
zipgun

Originally Posted by DaveZ06
hope this doesnt become another war thread between stick & auto ><
Too late...

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Just wait till you find a Stick , besided who wants an automatic sports car? Leave auto's to the girls.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:05 AM
Gooey

I would goto a dealer and drive both. See what suits you the best. I have a manual. I love it sometimes, I hate it sometimes. Im glad I have another car for a daily driver because I need to drive an automatic sometimes.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 AM
SRTtoZ

Drive both before you make up your mind, PLZ do it.

When I was looking at new mustangs a while back (before I drove stick) I test drove an auto...everything about it felt crappy, torque, shift points, etc...

A few months later after learning I test drove a 6 speed and man it was like NIGHT and day...Ever since I never thought about buying an auto sports car.

This is one reason why I didnt buy an SRT-8 Charger. If you have any doubts in your mind just hold off til you find a manual...it will pay off, and IMO more fun to drive.

But back to the original question, Autos will probably have more CONSISTANT times, but Manual probably has the most potential.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:30 AM
dhwang80

Manuals aren't always better than their auto brothers
1) F1 cars use a semi-automatic
2) In GTO's...autos are just as fast as manuals
3) professional drag racers almost always use built autos..

for our Z's...supposedly the brochure says the auto actually weighs a couple of pounds less than the manuals.. but usually autos weigh a little more (100-300 lbs) and have more drivetrain loss.

in the end, do whatever makes you happy. I had a manual car up until my roadster Z. I got tired of shifting and where I'm getting older I just don't feel the need to race or go to the track anymore. So for my lifestyle, an auto with a manual shift gate suited me and my wife for the best.

Quick Reply: Are AUTO Z's considered "Fast"?