Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Are AUTO Z's considered "Fast"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Haro350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are AUTO Z's considered "Fast"?

Dumb question I know, and I'm sure I will get flamed for it, but I want to hear what the community thinks. Do you 6SPD guys laugh at the automatic Z owners trying to mod their cars and get good track times, etc?

My last car was an '03 Eclipse 5SPD and it was slow as *****, right now for my next car I was really wanting a manual again and was looking between 350's and RSX-S's. I've seen a few Z's locally for sale, but they are automatics and I wanted to know just how much slower the automatic versions are compared to the 6SPD ones. I think at the end of the day I would be more happy with an auto Z, than a manual RSX-S, Si, tC, etc, just trying to convince myself of that, because they're not many manual Z's in my area so the pickings are slim. Give me some feedback. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:30 PM
fairladyinit

no only the fast ones. IE twin turbo and supercharged ones.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 PM
Haro350

Originally Posted by fairladyinit
no only the fast ones. IE twin turbo and supercharged ones.
Well stock for stock, how does a manual 350 v. an automatic 350 stand up? And more importantly to me, how does a stock auto 350 stand up to a manual RSX-S, Si, tC and other less than $20K manual cars?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:34 PM
TheBlackPearlZ
Banned

^depends on how good the driver is
Old 01-02-2008, 08:35 PM
DaveZ06

Both auto and manual Z's are pretty equal in stock performance-wise. They both have there ups and downs imo. Get an auto Z, but if you really care about what others think; get a stick i guess or get the rsx type s.

Btw: How are you between picking an RSX/TC to a Z? Totally different class imo, get the Z!!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:35 PM
fairladyinit

The Z will out handle all those cars on the track and autocross. At the quarter mile is as follows.
Manual Z close race vs. Auto Z.
RSX-S vs. Auto Z is drivers race.
TC is unbelievably slow stock
Si is unbelievably slow stock
Old 01-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Haro350

Originally Posted by TheBlackPearlZ
^depends on how good the driver is
Well what I'm really trying to ask is, is there a big drop off in power between manual and automatic Z's?

I know with my old eclipse, the manuals were slow, but the automatic eclipses were just downright horribly slow. So I'm just trying to figure out how much a difference the transmission type makes with the 350Z/G35 platform, since every platform is different.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:40 PM
SniperHunter

This thread will not end very well, sir. But I can tell you, from experience, that the differences are virtually indistinguishable. I have a 5AT, and drove 4 different 6speeds before settling on my car. We also have a 1/4 mile section here, and it too shows that 1/4 mile times and trap speeds for the automatics are on par with that of manuals.

This isn't the standard, crappy conventional automatic you find in most cars, as the JATCO 5AT shifts gears extremely quick (estimates peg .200). The manual mode is also fun, and I drive with it 100% of the time.

Now, I'll let the elitist breed bash the hell out of autos and auto Zs. But the bottom-line is it is your money, and will be your car.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Haro350

Originally Posted by DaveZ06
Btw: How are you between picking an RSX/TC to a Z? Totally different class imo, get the Z!!
Well those are the cars in my price range. I plan on getting something within 17K to 20K in full, so I'm trying to decide if I would be better off in a brand new off the lot '08 tC, or lightly used RSX-S, or buy a used '03 or '04 350Z with some mileage on it, because they are in that price range as well now that they have been out for awhile.
DaveZ06

Originally Posted by Haro350
Well what I'm really trying to ask is, is there a big drop off in power between manual and automatic Z's?

I know with my old eclipse, the manuals were slow, but the automatic eclipses were just downright horribly slow. So I'm just trying to figure out how much a difference the transmission type makes with the 350Z/G35 platform, since every platform is different.
Stock for stock in a 350z (auto vs stick) it can go either way. Performance is pretty much the same if not identical, the auto tranny is pretty top notch stock imo. If you go TT/SC, then it also depends on setup. Although i think you would have to spend more money to get a better tranny on an auto if you go tt, i dont know im not expert with FI's.
TheBlackPearlZ
Banned

im not 100% but i think the power to the wheels isnt all that different between the auto's and manuals
Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Haro350

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
This isn't the standard, crappy conventional automatic you find in most cars, as the JATCO 5AT shifts gears extremely quick (estimates peg .200). The manual mode is also fun, and I drive with it 100% of the time.

[/b].
That's the kind of info I was looking for, thanks!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:44 PM
SiNzz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't think the performance dif between auto and 6spd Z's would be enough to warrant being a deal breaker. I think it should boil down more to your preference of shifting method, and what you can find locally in your price range...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:44 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by fairladyinit
RSX-S vs. Auto Z is drivers race.
Driver's race? I hope that was just another "RSX th win" joke...because even the Type-S will get walked on. Bad.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:46 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

It's pretty close in the 1/4 mile, with the edge going to a competant driver in a 6 speed car. This has been beat to death.

I think the manual would have more of an advantage up top and in any form of racing that required precision down shifting, drifting an automatic, also, not as easy IMO.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Haro350

Originally Posted by SiNzz
I think it should boil down more to your preference of shifting method, and what you can find locally in your price range...
Well I've driven a manual my entire life, as my dad has always preached, "It's cheaper to replace a clutch, than a transmission." My first car was a manual, and both my parent's cars are stick as well.

My Dad really wants me to get a 5SPD tC, because he is a Toyota fanatic, but hey at the end of the day it is my hard earned money that I have been saving, so I plan to get what I want. This ain't one of those, "Daddy is letting me pick a car, which on should I get threads." I've been working my *** off the past 2 years while going to school to get a nice car, so I'm just trying to do my homework and make sure I get something I will be happy with.

I honestly don't think I would mind an automatic, if it was a nice car such as a Z.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:52 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd wait for a manual z. I was in the same situation. All there was were automatics. The first manual z i drove was a brand new automatic one, i was pretty disapointed. Later i found a used one with everything i wanted and it was manual. It felt much better, much sportier, much nicer. I was sold on the Z since then.

Look at how many threads there are of people who have an auto and wanting to do a manual swap on their car. Just do yourself a favor and get the manual. You live in texas. If you lived in San Francisco or something, i can understand. Sports cars should have a manual transmission IMO. The overall feel and performance is felt much better. Nothing better than shifting though gears late night.

If you want to mod your car later, i think automatic cars with exhaust and stuff sound weird. It's like one long drone taking off from light to light. People will know you have an auto and you know how much people talk crap about guys driving autos.

But in the end, get which one that's conveniet to you. The only way i would drive an auto is if i had to have my wife/gf drive it. Even in high populated areas with traffic, there are plenty of people who drive manuals. They seem to have no excuses.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:53 PM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

The other thing that hasn\t been mentioned. If you plan to mod, the manual will hold more power out of the box than the automatic will.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:57 PM
SiNzz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Haro350
Well I've driven a manual my entire life, as my dad has always preached, "It's cheaper to replace a clutch, than a transmission." My first car was a manual, and both my parent's cars are stick as well.

My Dad really wants me to get a 5SPD tC, because he is a Toyota fanatic, but hey at the end of the day it is my hard earned money that I have been saving, so I plan to get what I want. This ain't one of those, "Daddy is letting me pick a car, which on should I get threads." I've been working my *** off the past 2 years while going to school to get a nice car, so I'm just trying to do my homework and make sure I get something I will be happy with.

I honestly don't think I would mind an automatic, if it was a nice car such as a Z.

Yep, completely agree. I'm sure you'll enjoy a Z no matter what transmission you get. Neither of my parents have ever owned auto cars, and I've never had to drive autos except back when I was using the driver's ed cars to pass graduated liscensing, however there are definitely times when I wish I didn't have to work the clutch. Make sure to post some pics when you get it!
Old 01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
chriskabobbers

the 350z is a 350z. no matter what u get, just be proud.

Quick Reply: Are AUTO Z's considered "Fast"?