Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Are AUTO Z's considered "Fast"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:13 AM
DomZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
wait, so did you choose your auto right now? Why not go with an 08 5at?
I want to minimize the drivetrain loss since mods seem to be performing quite well on the HR motor, plus I want the advantage of being able to launch higher with DRs. I also forgot to mention I run on one of the best prepped tracks with the best DA in the country - thus why I run the times I do.

Edit: And I can monkeyshift, just short of Alberto's never lift to shift philosophy.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:16 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DomZ
I want to minimize the drivetrain loss since mods seem to be performing quite well on the HR motor, plus I want the advantage of being able to launch higher with DRs. I also forgot to mention I run on one of the best prepped tracks with the best DA in the country - thus why I run the times I do.

Edit: And I can monkeyshift, just short of Alberto's never lift to shift philosophy.
ah, ok. yeah, you'll probably be in teh 12's with the HR quite quick if you run some DRs.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:29 AM
RBlover69

ah, ok. yeah, you'll probably be in teh 12's with the HR quite quick if you run some DRs.
HRs.....grrrrrrrr
Old 01-07-2008, 07:38 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by RBlover69
HRs.....grrrrrrrr
haha, yeah i know. I made a thread a couple months ago about trading in the my z for an 07 HR. Didn't feel like it's worth it since i drive the exact same thing but different motor.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 AM
DomZ

HRs.....grrrrrrrr
My thoughts exactly. When multiple people with stock 07's beat my modded times I figured it was worth the investment to trade up.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:27 AM
kobalt

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

funny, lol a bit deranged way of thinking but funny lol
I think you hit bullseye and "deranged" applies to this entire thread. This was my feeble attempt at levity as this entire argument is a bit silly imo. The entire thread shifted from whether or not slushbox Z's are considered fast to the classicly pointless m/t vs. a/t epenis automotive forum wars. Why can't we all just get along and accept the Z for what it is: mt and at, coupe and convertible, lol =P
Old 01-07-2008, 09:36 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by DomZ
My thoughts exactly. When multiple people with stock 07's beat my modded times I figured it was worth the investment to trade up.
no dizzle my nizzle
Old 01-07-2008, 11:13 AM
SniperHunter

yea theres one stark difference with your comparision. Every companys auto isnt as good as there manual counterpart. Just because that audi comparison prevailed doesnt mean thats the industry's consensous. And your comparison to a DSG box compared to a 350zs TCM controlled auto is also a very stark differnce . There completly setup differenlt theres no direct relation . So to comfort yourself saying yea DSG boxs beat there manual counterparts is not to support the Zs auto argument at all because thats not the transmission auto Z uses.

Different companies make different transmissions, but you cannot say its negligible because have you ever driven a ACURA's tiptronic system its almost a a second slower then ther manual. How about with cars like the nissan sentra spev V or cars like hyundai tiburon even a honda accord .they all have horrid times seconds slower there manual counter part by todays standards.

And down shifting in a manual on a road race course your alowed full rpm heal toe shifting to place the rpm wherever you like . This cannot be done on auto. If you where to take a auto Z and a manual Z to a road race course with the drift king as the driver of both you cannot tell me the out come would go in favor to the auto. The BOSS Z in japan is the slowest Z out of all the time attack and at the time it was because it was a auto. There just not suited for a road course. There not efficient as a DSG box nor as complex . Every race team uses a manual Z, i mean to even argue that is balsphemy lmao. Now for 1/4 the argument is more even because the performance in straight line accelaration is very close but still given to the manuals as the faster of the 2. Fact is a computer does shift faster then a human but there is more drive train loss. Its just not practical for RR applications. You would need more power and a trans cooler just to make up for the trans deficiencies. There more expensive to replace , reqiure more parts. Its however very good as a street car.
I definitely agree with you that other ATs are rather lousy, especially compared to the Zs, and that the DSG shouldn't be compared to a Z's 5AT. The point I tried to illustrate is that you don't necessarily need a clutch and H-gate to perform superbly on a track - a simple up and down interface should suffice.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:30 AM
m!ke

Originally Posted by kobalt
I think you hit bullseye and "deranged" applies to this entire thread. This was my feeble attempt at levity as this entire argument is a bit silly imo. The entire thread shifted from whether or not slushbox Z's are considered fast to the classicly pointless m/t vs. a/t epenis automotive forum wars. Why can't we all just get along and accept the Z for what it is: mt and at, coupe and convertible, lol =P
+1,000,000

whether it be a manual or auto
a Z is a Z
ALL 350zs are fast
it just comes down to what driving style you have
and most importantly
what YOU want
Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 AM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

if i remember correctly tom is an auto he is running 11.2 and 11.3 on a stock block in the 1/4 how is that slow. I also believe he had a single turbo setup he is now going to twins and its getting built.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:40 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I definitely agree with you that other ATs are rather lousy, especially compared to the Zs, and that the DSG shouldn't be compared to a Z's 5AT. The point I tried to illustrate is that you don't necessarily need a clutch and H-gate to perform superbly on a track - a simple up and down interface should suffice.
You do know that DSG uses clutch discs right? It has a manual clutch that is operated by pneumatics.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Aggro_Al

You do know that DSG uses clutch discs right? It has a manual clutch that is operated by pneumatics.
Yes, DSG uses plate clutches. But, it doesn't use a manual clutch or pneumatics. I'm not familiar with any manual clutch with pneumatic operations. It's not necessary because a manual clutch is manually (human) operated. DSG is an electro-hydraulic automatic clutch. The Z is also an electro-hydraulic automatic clutch but it uses a a torque converter with lock-up clutches. It has a partial lock in 3rd and a full lock in 4th and 5th. When the TC is locked it uses a mechanical clutch instead of fluid coupling.

With stock AT and MT Zs, the driver who can manage and apply torque more efficiently will perform better.

Last edited by Aggro_Al; 01-11-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Nero

RSX is still faster...
Old 01-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Aggro_Al

^^+1

I had a RSX blow by me like I was parked. All I could do was watch in awe as it went by.

My S60 R > E46 M3
RSX > My S60 R

Last edited by Aggro_Al; 01-12-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:58 PM
HOMiEZ

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rhynesimpson
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yBVzXzHYDmg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yBVzXzHYDmg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Theres my 04 5AT 350z with intake and plenum spacer.

Ive actually beat 6spd 350z and mustang gt's and mazdaspeed3 with it. Idk though..
can some post a video of them shifting a 6MT
Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Aggro_Al

Get the DVD version of "The Run" it has bonus view with the driver shifting

Last edited by Aggro_Al; 01-11-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:35 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by Aggro_Al
^^+1

I had a RSX blow by me like I was parked. All I could do was watch in awe as it went by.

My S60 R > E46 M3
RSX > My S60 R
An RSX blew by me like I was parked, yesterday.

That's because I actually was parked, though.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:08 AM
coachk
Banned

Here's a good comparison: a couple years back Maximumsportz and I had the exact same APS TT setup and accompaning mods.His is a 6mt and mines a 5AT. He was at 425whp and I was at 390whp on the same dyno so I believe thats about a 8% drivetrain loss.
A 5AT can be very fast if all the right things are done to it. Theres only 1 6mt that I have lost to in the 1/4 and its only by .1 tenth of a second.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:53 PM
kppc300

A Z is a Z....no matter if its manual or automatic. The difference is barely noticeable so if you think the manual Z is fast....then the automatic Z is also fast.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:50 AM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

coach k most of these people have no clue what they are talking about. They have just heard all their life that manuals are faster in every way possible let them believe what they want and then just burn the hell out of them ha.

Quick Reply: Are AUTO Z's considered "Fast"?