Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Are AUTO Z's considered "Fast"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:22 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WTX350Z
HAHAHAHAHA, riiight. Well to disprove you I'm going to goto Webster.
Definition of "fact" :an actual occurrence. (I outran a STI on the highway, this is a fact.)

you can go read a magazine any day you want, and read the BS numbers you'd like to read....but guess what, every car is different. Every driver is different, and every situation is different. So these "facts" that you speak of aren't really facts at all. YOU are posting nonsense, you believe that something can't happen, so YOU post that its impossible. I didn't race the STI from a dead (hence why I stated I outran him on the highway, which I did, as a matter of fact.) I realize that in a 1/4 mile the STI is generally faster than the Z (AWD).

I also realize that some LS1's run 12's....however there are many that don't. I've seen LS1's at the track running mid 14's. Is this the best that particular car can run? I doubt it, but given that particular situation it is what the car ran! You see, with cars there are so many different variables that come into play, which make your "facts" that you "researched" worthless to quote.

So basically you just got owned. It's probably best that you don't even bother trying to argue with me. On this one, your just wrong. I'm sorry that I have to be the one to break it to you, but you aren't perfect, and you have to accept the FACT that "what cars run" isn't always what cars run when driven by average joes, or at 3000 ft above sea level. or with crap gas, or with poor mod. combinations.
i'm sorry, but no , i didn't get owned. If you want to further talk about this, please PM me because i don't want to get banned over someone like you. I'll be happily to tell how wrong you are.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:35 PM
2fast4ya

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RBlover69
all i know is a auto is horrid on a road race course the first Z i drove was a auto around pocono and i didnt feel like driving it after one lap. Nothing exciting about a corner entry where you have to rely on your brakes 90%.lmao
I would not say an auto trans is horrid on a race course, i run Sebring
regularly in mine and i do pretty good, high 2:40's per lap and i am
getting faster all the time, thats street tires with some mods
only thing is the stock brembos do not handle the heat very well and
get a lot of fade after a while because more braking is needed in an auto
Old 01-04-2008, 02:38 PM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
i'm sorry, but no , i didn't get owned. If you want to further talk about this, please PM me because i don't want to get banned over someone like you. I'll be happily to tell how wrong you are.
Nope, your wrong. Have no reason to PM you. There's nothing to argue about. I posted what actually happened, you posted that its not possible, and your wrong. Pretty Simple really.

Back to the O.P. No Auto Z's aren't fast, but fast is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
I'm doubting you is because i know a lot about the ls1 and it WILL beat you. Sti is the same way. Compare the times of those cars you thought you beat and then compare the time with your car. But you probably raced on the streets and think the your car is actually faster. Bored? no. I'm tired of people who post non sense. As you can see, i'm not bias with the 350z, i'm bias with the truth.
Just go to 1:02 in the vid. One 05' base Z with a quaife LSD, on street tires, with no Hp mods. Two different STI's, with two different drivers. No matter how fast the car, it can't drive itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RcLWa9GOEE
Old 01-04-2008, 02:44 PM
2fast4ya

Originally Posted by JonsilvZ
I just have 5/16 spacer,exhaust. Ran a 14.0 @101.2 with a crappy 2.3 60ft. I think its decently fast. My friend with a 06 base Z 6spd revup motor with test pipes,exhaust,filter delete trapped 103 only 2mph difference in the 1/4.
very similiar to my car when i had less mods i had 14.06 @ 101 , 2.18 60ft now
i am down to 13.7's with a lower trap speed? usually 99-100 mph 2.04-2.06
60ft 06 350z 5AT
Old 01-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Bigsapz

not from a dig......they are from a 40-60 roll!
Old 01-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Originally Posted by WTX350Z
Nope, your wrong. Have no reason to PM you. There's nothing to argue about. I posted what actually happened, you posted that its not possible, and your wrong. Pretty Simple really.

Back to the O.P. No Auto Z's aren't fast, but fast is in the eye of the beholder.
You lose any credibility when you vomit up partially digested feces Sir.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Haro350

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
He's probably fallen down from laughing and can't get backup.
No, I'm still here, just haven't kept up with this thread post for post, so I just got through reading all 6 pages.

I will definitely test drive both an auto and a manual Z to see the difference and then decide, just wanted to see what you guys had to say about the difference first. Thanks for all the replies/comments/advice.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Ghost 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-04-2008, 05:51 PM
ed350

automatic to me is boring...but good in traffic jam I hate shifting in traffic but all around manual is much better...save your money til they have the manual z..or better yet get an 08 nismo...manual of course..
Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
WTX350Z

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
You lose any credibility when you vomit up partially digested feces Sir.
hahaha, sorry, stock they aren't fast.

And "fast" is in the eye of the beholder...your fast may be a bit different than mine. I have a 5at, so no crying allowed.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:13 PM
nismo*son

buy what you want, who cares what other people think about your car...
Old 01-06-2008, 08:09 PM
GotBoostVQ35

i test drove an auto and a 6spd and found them both equally quick really. i ended up choosing the auto because i loved the color and the options it had. at the same time though, i miss a stick and i am considering swapping to a 6spd tranny. in the end, both are great cars and fun to drive. auto is easier for daily commute but 6spd is more fun when you just want to drive
Old 01-06-2008, 08:38 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by 2fast4ya
I would not say an auto trans is horrid on a race course, i run Sebring
regularly in mine and i do pretty good, high 2:40's per lap and i am
getting faster all the time, thats street tires with some mods
only thing is the stock brembos do not handle the heat very well and
get a lot of fade after a while because more braking is needed in an auto
but see your saying exactly why a auto is more deficient in areas in road racing, your brakes wouldnt be fading that much if you had a MT. The argument was which was faster, clearly in a sports car on a road race cours you are alot more in control of your cars behavior and entry exits with a 6MT. To me its a matter of actually driving the car and making it perform what you expect it to know and knwing your car verses , the enormous dependancy on brakes and lack of rpm control in a auto. Hey the auto in the Zs are great for street driving but in a road course.....ill pass.

Hey when do you run and with what racing body?, i have been dying to get with some Zs and run on sebring you have to send me some info man PM if ya have to.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 PM
SniperHunter

I dunno, Zs are rather good at downshifting and anticipating a downshift. Approaching a corner, you know you're supposed to downshift well ahead. Flick back once and you're in 2nd, or twice for 1st. I'd imagine on a road course with a lot of twisties, you wouldn't need more than 3 of the auto's gears, anyways (which is good enough for 110, I believe).

If F1 cars and many others can have flappy-paddle automatic gearboxes and dominate circuits, I don't see why an auto Z couldn't. Fifth Gear recently did a test versus two identical Audis. One equipped with DSG, the other a 6spd (I believe it was the new TT). The DSG won - barely, but it goes to show how differences between autos and stick are rather negligible with today's far more advanced ATs.

Just my personal observation.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:18 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I dunno, Zs are rather good at downshifting and anticipating a downshift. Approaching a corner, you know you're supposed to downshift well ahead. Flick back once and you're in 2nd, or twice for 1st. I'd imagine on a road course with a lot of twisties, you wouldn't need more than 3 of the auto's gears, anyways (which is good enough for 110, I believe).

If F1 cars and many others can have flappy-paddle automatic gearboxes and dominate circuits, I don't see why an auto Z couldn't. Fifth Gear recently did a test versus two identical Audis. One equipped with DSG, the other a 6spd (I believe it was the new TT). The DSG won - barely, but it goes to show how differences between autos and stick are rather negligible with today's far more advanced ATs.

Just my personal observation.
yea theres one stark difference with your comparision. Every companys auto isnt as good as there manual counterpart. Just because that audi comparison prevailed doesnt mean thats the industry's consensous. And your comparison to a DSG box compared to a 350zs TCM controlled auto is also a very stark differnce . There completly setup differenlt theres no direct relation . So to comfort yourself saying yea DSG boxs beat there manual counterparts is not to support the Zs auto argument at all because thats not the transmission auto Z uses.

Different companies make different transmissions, but you cannot say its negligible because have you ever driven a ACURA's tiptronic system its almost a a second slower then ther manual. How about with cars like the nissan sentra spev V or cars like hyundai tiburon even a honda accord .they all have horrid times seconds slower there manual counter part by todays standards.

And down shifting in a manual on a road race course your alowed full rpm heal toe shifting to place the rpm wherever you like . This cannot be done on auto. If you where to take a auto Z and a manual Z to a road race course with the drift king as the driver of both you cannot tell me the out come would go in favor to the auto. The BOSS Z in japan is the slowest Z out of all the time attack and at the time it was because it was a auto. There just not suited for a road course. There not efficient as a DSG box nor as complex . Every race team uses a manual Z, i mean to even argue that is balsphemy lmao. Now for 1/4 the argument is more even because the performance in straight line accelaration is very close but still given to the manuals as the faster of the 2. Fact is a computer does shift faster then a human but there is more drive train loss. Its just not practical for RR applications. You would need more power and a trans cooler just to make up for the trans deficiencies. There more expensive to replace , reqiure more parts. Its however very good as a street car.

Last edited by RBlover69; 01-07-2008 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:14 AM
DomZ

I won't go into too much detail but YES they are fast in the right hands and conditions. The issue seems to be that not enough 5AT guys get to the track and if they do they'll make a few passes and call it quits. With some practice and experimenting with launches and shift points a 5AT is definitely fast. You can ask a few level headed people on these boards and they'll agree unless you're destroying your manual trans during a race a 5AT has the advantage most of the time. I shift and stay neutral or continue to move forward while my 6MT counterpart almost always loses ground on the shift. The ONLY thing that sucks for a 5AT is the extra few percentage of drivetrain loss and the fact that it doesn't make my peepee feel bigger

Some of the "OMFG nub you bought an auto sports car, its not even a sports car anymore!!1!1one!!" idiots on here won't admit it but in a straight line the 5AT has a (very) slight advantage if its stock for stock, tire for tire.

I'm trading my auto 03 for a 6MT 08 in 2 months
Old 01-07-2008, 04:49 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by DomZ
I won't go into too much detail but YES they are fast in the right hands and conditions. The issue seems to be that not enough 5AT guys get to the track and if they do they'll make a few passes and call it quits. With some practice and experimenting with launches and shift points a 5AT is definitely fast. You can ask a few level headed people on these boards and they'll agree unless you're destroying your manual trans during a race a 5AT has the advantage most of the time. I shift and stay neutral or continue to move forward while my 6MT counterpart almost always loses ground on the shift. The ONLY thing that sucks for a 5AT is the extra few percentage of drivetrain loss and the fact that it doesn't make my peepee feel bigger

Some of the "OMFG nub you bought an auto sports car, its not even a sports car anymore!!1!1one!!" idiots on here won't admit it but in a straight line the 5AT has a (very) slight advantage if its stock for stock, tire for tire.

I'm trading my auto 03 for a 6MT 08 in 2 months
i doubt the 5AT has the advantage on a road race course. lmao. cmon are you serious. A typcial auto Z dynos 230s, i dyno'd 251 your telling me the fact that a Z is a auto has advantage on a raod race course. I can understand the arguments on the1/4 but theres no way your gonna tell me that in a apex the prefered and advantage goes to a auto Z vs a 6MT ....that literally makes no sense. People need to stop bringing the whole DSG and advanced preselcted gear boxes that ferraris use . They have no relation to a 350zs Auto trans.

Even going with more advanced 3rd party applications as far as clutches and flywheels are way better for a road race course then a simple valuebody upgrade or a trq converter. These mods are great for a 1/4 but cmon...

Last edited by RBlover69; 01-07-2008 at 05:07 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:57 AM
DomZ

Originally Posted by RBlover69
i doubt the 5AT has the advantage on a road race course. lmao. cmon are you serious.
I was talking drag - hence the "making passes", "launches", and "shift points" in my previous post. I don't care about road racing so for my intents and purposes (daily driver in rush hour traffic + drag racing) it works fine.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by DomZ
I was talking drag - hence the "making passes", "launches", and "shift points" in my previous post. I don't care about road racing so for my intents and purposes (daily driver in rush hour traffic + drag racing) it works fine.
yea for daily driving or a 1/4 consistancy goes to the auto. But better times in the 1/4 will always belong to the 6mt driven perfectly. This is a fact. And how you have to look at it is that the Auto trans is heavier puts down less power and you cannot launch the car as aggressive unless your power braking . However , for consistancy i would pick a auto Z to take a newbie racer or a none experirenced driver in a 6mt for sure because theres less driver error.

Quick Reply: Are AUTO Z's considered "Fast"?