Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Are AUTO Z's considered "Fast"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:03 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WTX350Z
I currently own a TC (wife's car) and a Auto 03 Z. (bought it only because it was 3-6K cheaper than all the others for sale, and had about 40k less miles, and I knew the P.O.) (I'm a standard transmission guy, but this is a great Automatic.)

there is no comparison for performance....the Auto Z runs away from the TC. I can hang with LS1's, beat Sti's in my auto Z.

If you want a sportscar get the Z....all those other cars u listed are FWD, and, well, not sportscars. Its truly that simple.

None of the cars listed are considered fast in my book. Including a stock Z (auto or manual)
why are you comparing a TC to an automatic z?

Auto z does not hang with ls1 and sti driven properly will beat an automatic z pretty bad.

Last edited by SuperBlack350z; 01-04-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:54 AM
scmtkings4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
If you want to mod your car later, i think automatic cars with exhaust and stuff sound weird. It's like one long drone taking off from light to light. People will know you have an auto and you know how much people talk crap about guys driving autos.

with automatic cars, wouldnt people hear the car shifting? although the driver doesnt manually shift the gears, the car will shift the gears for you so the sounds of shifting should still be heard no? iono just curious

Last edited by scmtkings4; 01-04-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:03 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by scmtkings4
with automatic cars, wouldnt people hear the car shifting? although the driver doesnt manually shift the gears, the car will shift the gears for you so the sounds of shifting should still be heard no? iono just curious
You can hear the fast shifting of an automatic car rather than teh slow pause with a real manual transmission. Any car enthusiast can tell the difference.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:03 AM
collinsGTO

they would still hear the shifts, but you can tell they're auto because of the lack of break in engine tone. autos are constantly engaged (motor wise) while standard tranny's have a definate break in engine noise at the time of a shift. so both of you are correct to an extent.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:06 AM
rhynesimpson

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yBVzXzHYDmg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yBVzXzHYDmg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Theres my 04 5AT 350z with intake and plenum spacer.

Ive actually beat 6spd 350z and mustang gt's and mazdaspeed3 with it. Idk though..
Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 AM
HDPDZO6

Sounds to me as if there is alot of compensation going on in this thread. It all boils down to;

Some people appear to be bothered on what others will think about them (i.e. hearing shifts at a stop light). Who gives a flying f*ck about the opinions of complete strangers. If you are so worried about that, then you have alot bigger issues than which transmission to get.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:13 AM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
Sounds to me as if there is alot of compensation going on in this thread. It all boils down to;

Some people appear to be bothered on what others will think about them (i.e. hearing shifts at a stop light). Who gives a flying f*ck about the opinions of complete strangers. If you are so worried about that, then you have alot bigger issues than which transmission to get.
who said anything about being bothered by hearing shifts from a stop light ?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:46 AM
DaveZ06

you guys scared the OP away
Old 01-04-2008, 11:21 AM
ZKansasZ

Originally Posted by DaveZ06
I think so, too. lol.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveZ06
He's probably fallen down from laughing and can't get backup.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by Haro350
Dumb question I know, and I'm sure I will get flamed for it, but I want to hear what the community thinks. Do you 6SPD guys laugh at the automatic Z owners trying to mod their cars and get good track times, etc?

My last car was an '03 Eclipse 5SPD and it was slow as *****, right now for my next car I was really wanting a manual again and was looking between 350's and RSX-S's. I've seen a few Z's locally for sale, but they are automatics and I wanted to know just how much slower the automatic versions are compared to the 6SPD ones. I think at the end of the day I would be more happy with an auto Z, than a manual RSX-S, Si, tC, etc, just trying to convince myself of that, because they're not many manual Z's in my area so the pickings are slim. Give me some feedback. Thanks.
you have a manual shift mode with the Z, you don't with the other cars you mentioned (that I know of). This makes a huge difference. the performance aspects between the 5AT and 6MT really aren't that different (at least this was my experience) when driving both in manual shift modes.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:39 PM
ZKansasZ

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
you have a manual shift mode with the Z, you don't with the other cars you mentioned (that I know of).
If you speak of Triptronic(or whatever its called) then my wife auto RSX has that feature!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:44 PM
DraGonAlchemist

i believe most auto's these days aither come with or have an extra added option for tiptronic. .or as many know of it as. .Manual Mode. ..main reason for manual mode is for me really when i drive one. .it helps on saving brakes cause i can slow down much easier when down shifting as i would in a manual tranz. .also help when speeding or racing. . you shift when needed not allowing the cars comp to take over. .i also think many cars have a rev limiter saver which auto shifts even in manual mode incase one forgets to shift should take over and shift for you. .so u dont BLOW anything up. .
Old 01-04-2008, 12:52 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by DraGonAlchemist
it helps on saving brakes cause i can slow down much easier when down shifting as i would in a manual tranz.
Brake pads are alot cheaper to replace than drivetrain components.

i also think many cars have a rev limiter saver which auto shifts even in manual mode incase one forgets to shift should take over and shift for you. .so u dont BLOW anything up. .
Not with the 350Z. Forget to shift and it will bounce off the rev limiter. It won't upshift until you tell to do so.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
DraGonAlchemist

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
Brake pads are alot cheaper to replace than drivetrain components.
Not with the 350Z. Forget to shift and it will bounce off the rev limiter. It won't upshift until you tell to do so.

Im not saying drop it like a maniac. .if you know how to drive you can ease on brake and tranny at the same time reducing speed easily instead of slamming one or the other. .or like EVERYONE does. .slam on brakes on a dime. ..
I've never driven a Auto 350 z. nor have done research on them. . .so I wouldn't know. .thanx for the InfO!
Old 01-04-2008, 01:45 PM
cambo350z

Just drive both and make your decision.That's the only way you will truly find out what you want. then u won't regret any decision. I have an auto and love it. They make autos for a reason...most people buy them..I used to work at a nissan dealership.over 50% of Z's that came in were autos cause that's what sells more.it is plenty quick enough for me.oh and to the above comment about an rsx-s manual beating an auto z is not the case. stock auto Z will beat a stock rsx-s.rsx-s has to be modded.I've even beaten two s2000's...all i have is a jwt popcharger. I'm just always busy in the car..i eat/drink/and have to make phone calls alot when i'm in the car due to my part time job making visits to people's houses for life insurance exams so an auto really suits me well. If people give you grief about having an auto..then they are just being macho and not respecting your decision. At the end of the day it's you that drives the car.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:50 PM
WTX350Z

why are you comparing a TC to an automatic z?

Auto z does not hang with ls1 and sti driven properly will beat an automatic z pretty bad.
Tell that to my buddy in an auto LS1 who I sat next to and the STI I outran on the highway....

He ASKED about automatic Z's......and Scion tC's.....and I can compare them, since I drive them both daily.

Why are you doubting everything in my post? bored? get a life.

EDIT: Dang, seriously get a life, your arguing with every post on this page. go play in the street or something.

Last edited by WTX350Z; 01-04-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by WTX350Z
Tell that to my buddy in an auto LS1 who I sat next to and the STI I outran on the highway....

He ASKED about automatic Z's......and Scion tC's.....and I can compare them, since I drive them both daily.

Why are you doubting everything in my post? bored? get a life.
I'm doubting you is because i know a lot about the ls1 and it WILL beat you. Sti is the same way. Compare the times of those cars you thought you beat and then compare the time with your car. But you probably raced on the streets and think the your car is actually faster. Bored? no. I'm tired of people who post non sense. As you can see, i'm not bias with the 350z, i'm bias with the truth.

Last edited by SuperBlack350z; 01-04-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:59 PM
SniperHunter

Well...I hate to say this but what's so hard about beating an STI on a highway? They trap faster 1/4s thanks to AWD, but their trap speeds aren't better than a Z.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:16 PM
WTX350Z

I'm doubting you is because i know a lot about the ls1 and it WILL beat you. Sti is the same way. Compare the times of those cars you thought you beat and then compare the time with your car. But you probably raced on the streets and think the your car is actually faster. Bored? no. I'm tired of people who post non sense. As you can see, i'm not bias with the 350z, i'm bias with the truth.

HAHAHAHAHA, riiight. Well to disprove you I'm going to goto Webster.
Definition of "fact" :an actual occurrence. (I outran a STI on the highway, this is a fact.)

you can go read a magazine any day you want, and read the BS numbers you'd like to read....but guess what, every car is different. Every driver is different, and every situation is different. So these "facts" that you speak of aren't really facts at all. YOU are posting nonsense, you believe that something can't happen, so YOU post that its impossible. I didn't race the STI from a dead (hence why I stated I outran him on the highway, which I did, as a matter of fact.) I realize that in a 1/4 mile the STI is generally faster than the Z (AWD).

I also realize that some LS1's run 12's....however there are many that don't. I've seen LS1's at the track running mid 14's. Is this the best that particular car can run? I doubt it, but given that particular situation it is what the car ran! You see, with cars there are so many different variables that come into play, which make your "facts" that you "researched" worthless to quote.

So basically you just got owned. It's probably best that you don't even bother trying to argue with me. On this one, your just wrong. I'm sorry that I have to be the one to break it to you, but you aren't perfect, and you have to accept the FACT that "what cars run" isn't always what cars run when driven by average joes, or at 3000 ft above sea level. or with crap gas, or with poor mod. combinations.

Notice in your first post the words "properly driven".....one of those silly variables I speak of.

Last edited by WTX350Z; 01-04-2008 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Are AUTO Z's considered "Fast"?