Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Any changes needed for cold winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:11 PM
happy_go_lucky_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any changes needed for cold winter driving

I just moved from Houston, TX to Reno, NV after having recently bought an '05 Z and had the car shipped over. Out here in Reno, its cold as hell and its even been snowing over the past weekend. This is the first time that I am in a place that snows and driving is a real pain in the rear especially with my stock tires and all. Anyways, the question I had was, is there was anything that I need to change to adapt the car for extreme winter driving (averages around 35 degrees), something like antifreeze, different fluids maybe, etc? I am a noob and this is my first RWD and I absolutely love it.

Also, does driving on the snow or ice have any damaging effect on the car ? I drive real slow (around 15-20miles) and sometimes when I brake I can feel a shudder on the brake pedal as the car slides coming to a stop. Is that normal ? Should I expect more tire wear and tear bcoz of driving on ice ? What kind of maintenance should I do?
Old 01-08-2008, 03:15 PM
Hoods

You are going to get alot of people telling you to to search, but the general consensus around here is do not drive the snow in the Z. Get a beater, and if you must, get snow tires for when you do take the Z out...
Old 01-08-2008, 03:19 PM
happy_go_lucky_

Originally Posted by Hoods
You are going to get alot of people telling you to to search, but the general consensus around here is do not drive the snow in the Z. Get a beater, and if you must, get snow tires for when you do take the Z out...
Well I did read all bout the tires and thats not what Im looking for. I was wondering more about the fluids that go under the hood.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Hoods

Originally Posted by happy_go_lucky_
Well I did read all bout the tires and thats not what Im looking for. I was wondering more about the fluids that go under the hood.
Ah alright, in that case let's hope someone else in your position can chime in.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
ZR_Yancy

Change the oil to lighter weight. Flush the radiator & fill with 100% antifreeze. I'm not sure if other fluids need to be cold weather specific.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:13 PM
happy_go_lucky_

Originally Posted by ZR_Yancy
Change the oil to lighter weight. Flush the radiator & fill with 100% antifreeze. I'm not sure if other fluids need to be cold weather specific.
How bout wiper fluid and battery water ? These are two that I can think of.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:14 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The antifreeze should be a 50-50 distilled water and antifrze. But they sell the prediluted ones just open and pour.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Lento

You'll be fine. I have a 350Z in Mass and its 5 degrees here, and I drive my car everywhere

Make sure you warm up your engine before you take off. (I make sure the temp is at least up to the "C")

That pulsing the in breaks is completely normal as well. I drove an RSX before my Z and whenever I came to a downhill stop sign by my house it did the same exact thing as you described.

Other than that keep plenty of anti freeze window washer and you should be good
Old 01-08-2008, 04:45 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

I just moved from Houston, TX to Reno, NV after having recently bought an '05 Z and had the car shipped over. Out here in Reno, its cold as hell and its even been snowing over the past weekend. This is the first time that I am in a place that snows and driving is a real pain in the rear especially with my stock tires and all. Anyways, the question I had was, is there was anything that I need to change to adapt the car for extreme winter driving (averages around 35 degrees), something like antifreeze, different fluids maybe, etc? I am a noob and this is my first RWD and I absolutely love it.

Also, does driving on the snow or ice have any damaging effect on the car ? I drive real slow (around 15-20miles) and sometimes when I brake I can feel a shudder on the brake pedal as the car slides coming to a stop. Is that normal ? Should I expect more tire wear and tear bcoz of driving on ice ? What kind of maintenance should I do?
Driving the 350Z on ice & snow has no damaging effects on the car itself, PROVIDED you keep it on the road. The OEM tires are designed for summer use and have poor traction in the rain/snow. The judder you feel from the brake pedal means your ABS is operating. It's normal and allows you a measure of steering control. Again, there's no additional wear and tear on you tires, but beware that you have poor control on the summer tires in those icy conditions.

As mentioned, have your car checked for antifreeze condition and check your air filter's condition. Doing a oil/filter change is in order, if the mileage/time limits are up. Go to the 'extreme condition' schedule in your owners manual in the climate you live in.

Finally, consider getting a cheap FWD winter beater to get around during the storms. Put snow tires-- NOT all-season--on it to get the control you need and save the Z for the good weather!
Old 01-08-2008, 04:48 PM
ZR_Yancy

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...18/034499.html

"Crash risk usually increases during the winter months in locations where cold weather creates hazardous driving conditions," said Richard Kretsch, the Auto Club's Automotive Services Group Manager. "Motorists can be safer if they observe and practice cold-weather driving and car care tips."

Charge! - Cold weather is tough on batteries. At zero degrees Fahrenheit, a car's battery loses about 60 percent of its strength. At a mild 32 degrees Fahrenheit, a battery is 35 percent weaker. Keeping battery terminals clean helps, but a load test performed by a qualified automotive technician will help determine whether a car's battery is strong enough for winter starts.

Get a Grip - Make sure your car is equipped with tires that are able to handle your region's winter weather. Check the tire tread. Good tread allows water to escape from under the tires and increases traction. Keep tires at proper pressure. A chart with the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure can be found on the driver side door jamb, inside the glove box, or on the fuel filler flap. For most motorists, all-season tires are adequate. In northern or mountainous regions, switching to snow tires may be needed. Motorists also should observe storm watch advisories that urge the use of snow chains or they may risk being turned around by law enforcement, getting stuck in the snow, or even in a major crash.

See and Be Seen - Danger must be visible to be avoided. Driving with a snow-covered windshield, windows, side-view mirrors or lights invites a crash. Clear windows, mirrors and lights with an ice scraper, brush or spray de-icer. Make certain windshield wipers and defrosters are in good working order and the window washer reservoirs are filled with no-freeze windshield washer fluid. To make sure your vehicle is seen by other drivers, be sure to use your headlights, but not your bright headlights, unless absolutely necessary.

Keep Your Engine Cool - Make certain cooling system anti-freeze is mixed with an equal portion of water for maximum protection.

Key Solution - Frozen door locks can be overcome by carefully heating the end of a key with a match or lighter. A squirt of de-icer spray is another quick method.

Slippery When Wet - In temperatures at or just above 32 degrees, a thin layer of water can cover the ice, causing extremely slippery conditions. The distance needed to stop on ice at 32 degrees is twice as long as at zero degrees. Slow down and use extra caution when passing other vehicles.

Steer Clear - Steering is preferred to braking at speeds above 25 mph because less distance is required to steer around an object than to brake to a stop. Sudden braking often leads to skids. Increase following distance. The extra distance provides a buffer in case of skids.

Air it Out - Don't let frigid temperatures tempt you into starting your car in a closed garage or idling your engine for long periods with the windows closed. Carbon monoxide, present in exhaust fumes, is almost impossible to detect and can be fatal when breathed in a confined area.

Finish Up - Road salt, slush and grime are especially hard on a car's finish. To help prevent rust and paint damage, keep cars washed and waxed. A full or self-service car wash makes the job easier when temperatures are low.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 PM
singh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just moved from Houston, TX to Reno, NV

Why?! Houston kicks ***.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:57 PM
ZR_Yancy

http://www.roadandtravel.com/automot...e/winter2.aspx

By Dr. Fran Lockwood

The leaves are falling, the air is crisp, and pretty soon old man winter will set up shop for his favorite time of year. As you stock up on firewood, tack on the storm doors, and tune up the piano for family holiday gatherings, don't forget to take similar steps to prep your car for the busy and blustery months ahead.

While this may include stocking the family car with holiday CDs and tapes, I'm actually referring to your winter car care routine. When temperatures plunge, and snowy, wet conditions rule the road, every part of your car has to work harder to perform at its best. Before Jack Frost's first nip at your nose, here's a quick "to do" list to help your car weather the winter weather.

Tire Tips

Family responsibilities and holiday preparations can keep you in perpetual motion this time of year. Whether it's trips to the airport or shopping excursions to find that perfect gift, a good set of tires is essential to safe winter driving. Make sure your tires are properly rotated and aligned, and also check tire tread - tires should not be worn down to less than 2/32 of an inch for normal tires and 5/32 of an inch for snow tires.

An easy way to check is to take a Lincoln-head penny and insert it head first into the most worn part of your tire tread. If you can see Abe's head, he may be telling you to get a new set of tires. If so, consider buying a set of all-season tires with a traction rating of A (the highest rating) versus B or C, to better grip the road in snowy conditions.

Cooling System Checklist

When the white stuff hits, make sure you have plenty of the green
stuff - antifreeze. Antifreeze can be one of the trickiest parts of your
winterizing routine because, even though it has a strong green color, the additives could be worn out. This can cause the inside of your radiator to rust and if you are the type who "just adds water" when the level is down, your antifreeze mixture may have lost its ability to withstand freezing temperatures. You may have worthless green gunk under the hood!

A good rule of thumb is to replace your antifreeze every two years. If you're not sure when your antifreeze was last changed, you can easily check its endurance and freeze point with an antifreeze tester (they cost less than five dollars at any auto parts store). But if you're not a do-it-yourselfer, have it checked at a quick oil change or other service provider. They have more accurate and reliable testers.

When it is time to replace your antifreeze, look for a product that prevents cold weather freeze-ups at temperatures well below -30 degrees Fahrenheit, like Zerex® 5/100 Antifreeze Coolant, or, if you're currently using an orange coolant (recommended for most newer model GM vehicles) use Zerex* Extreme TM Life 5/150 Antifreeze Coolant. Remember that antifreeze needs to be diluted with water in a 50-50 mixture, or you could opt for a pre-mixed solution, like Zerex® Ready to Use Antifreeze Coolant.

To round out your cooling system checklist, make sure that water
pumps and thermostats work, check radiators and hoses for cracks and leaks, replace the radiator cap, and test heaters and defrosters for proper operation.

Oil To-Dos

Another way to help your car endure three months of cold starts in
sub-zero temperatures is to change your oil grade. Check your owner's manual and use the lowest recommended grade for the best all-weather protection, fuel efficiency, and energy conservation. For most passenger cars the proper grade is 5W-30 and for the newest model Ford vehicles, 5W-20.

You also might want to consider adding a synthetic blend motor oil
to your vehicle this winter. Synthetic oils make starting a cold engine
easy. They resist build up of cold temperature sludge, helping your engine
run better and longer, even in the most arctic-like weather.
Battery Basics

No one wants to cap a weekend spent skiing on the slopes by waiting for a tow in two feet of snow. You can help prevent unwelcome disasters by making sure your battery is up for the cold weather challenge. Make sure terminals are clean and tightened - you may even want to clean around terminals with an old toothbrush and a homemade mixture of baking soda and water.

Keep in mind that you should replace your battery every three to four years, but if you suspect your battery won't survive the season, have a trained technician check it out. If it is time to shop for a replacement battery, look for a model that offers more starting power, higher cold cranking amps, and reserve capacity to provide electrical energy when the engine isn't running.

Seasonal breakdowns and costly repairs can really put a damper on
"the season of good cheer," so take time now to ensure your vehicle is in top condition, and be prepared for emergency situations. Before you go dashing through the snow, stock your trunk with, jumper cables, rock salt (to melt ice), an ice scraper, a can of tire inflator, and a blanket. Keep your mobile phone charged and at hand. This way, at least your car won't be the source of any holiday headaches.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:07 PM
liven Z life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

wow its so weird for me to think like people dont know what its like to drive in snow. and not know why his brake pedel shuddered lol. being from upstate newyork this is my horrible misfortune to deal with yearly good luck. drive slow snow tires? posisbly think of getting a beater car thats what i did.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:12 PM
happy_go_lucky_

Originally Posted by gsingh350Z

Why?! Houston kicks ***.
For work !! But I ll be back pretty soon after a few months. Htown sure rox !!
Old 01-08-2008, 06:03 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes. I believe I have heard about this snow phenomenon before.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:51 PM
VQZ33_Jake

the only thing you need to change is the number of vehicles you own. buy another for the winter.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:39 PM
happy_go_lucky_

Originally Posted by VQZ33_Jake
the only thing you need to change is the number of vehicles you own. buy another for the winter.
I actually have a beater, but unfortunately its back in Houston. Im not gonna be at Reno forever and will be leaving for Houston in a few months time. Anyways this is really good. Now I got to drive in the snow too. ha !!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:09 AM
bailey bill

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR_Yancy
50/50 protects to 30 below zero.

The recomended oil is 5W-30 far all ambient temps.

Washer fluid contains methanol, an anti-freeze.

The battery "water" is dilute sulpheric acid. It won't freeze.

You car will be just fine. People actually own and drive them in places like Minnesota.

Does anyone ever read teh Owner's Manual?

bill
Old 01-09-2008, 06:10 AM
maxpowers

Well I did read all bout the tires and thats not what Im looking for.
If thats your mindset then be sure you have the correct anti-freeze mixture......and locate a good autobody shop in advance for when you crash by running summer tires in the winter.