Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Question on Steering Wheel before buying a Z!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008 | 01:17 PM
QuanL7B_P

Default Question on Steering Wheel before buying a Z!

Hi, I went to test drive this 2004 350z Touring Ed. with 46000 mileage on it.. when I was testing. I felt the steering wheel really tight. I ask the saleman why? he said "because it's design to be sport suspension." It's when I drive on the highway i can used 1 hand, but when i park on the lot i needs to used 2 hands to balance my line.

1. I'ts your 350z steering wheel really tight? because I owned a BMW 325i, it's handle really smooth.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by QuanL7B_P; 02-19-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-19-2008 | 01:19 PM
350ZTheStandard

Salepersons lie, maybe that car had just been aligned. Mine feels firm and responsive, not overly tight and hard to turn.
Old 02-19-2008 | 01:27 PM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z
Premier Member

When you say smooth... you mean smooth like an old ford truck? or smooth like easy to turn?
Old 02-19-2008 | 01:29 PM
N350ZT

Red face

Originally Posted by QuanL7B_P
Hi, I went to test drive this 2004 350z Touring Ed. with 46000 mileage on it.. when I was testing. I felt the steering wheel really tight. I ask the saleman why? he said "because it's design to be sport suspension." It's when I drive on the highway i can used 1 hand, but when i park on the lot i needs to used 2 hands to balance my line.

1. I'ts your 350z steering wheel really tight? because I owned a BMW 325i, it's handle really smooth.

Thanks for your help.
I find it tighter than the 300ZX, but on the other hand, les asistance give you a better feel at hight speed.
Old 02-19-2008 | 01:30 PM
davidv

350Z steering is lighter than some other vehicles. Heavier than others.
Old 02-19-2008 | 01:42 PM
Risky_Business
Quadrant 987c
Premier Member

Lightbulb I am...

trying to look at this logically. If the wheel is tighter then some and not so much so as compared to others, do you have any reason to believe that there is something specifically wrong with the wheel or vehicle itself to cause an issue?

Are there any other factors involved (ie. suspension, alignment or possible past accidents)?

Perhaps testing another Z will provide better perspective.
Old 02-19-2008 | 01:52 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

I'd agree with risky business- sample another Z (preferablely a new one) to gain some perspective. The Z's hydrallic power steering is designed to give the greatest boost at lower speeds and drop off as speeds rise. More steering feel is the goal, but I don't usually have any trouble in whipping the wheel around in parking easily either!
Old 02-19-2008 | 06:31 PM
gotMEaZ33

yea i remember when i first test drove mine i thought the steering was pretty tight but i got used to it..... its becuase its a sports car
Old 02-19-2008 | 07:15 PM
token5gtd

at first i noticed that the Z had a firmer steering feel to it than any other cars i'd driven, but i got used to it and grew to like it... grow some muscles and buy the Z, you'll love it.
Old 02-19-2008 | 07:35 PM
j0hns0nc

when i first bought my z i find it tight as well but i got use to it. however, once when i was exiting one highway to get onto another highway it seems like my steering wheel locked for like 2 seconds. it scared the crap out of me thought i was gonna crash. after that 2 seconds it seems to work again. strangeeeee. but it never happened again since then. anybody know why?
Old 02-19-2008 | 07:36 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Go try another Z to be sure but I think its fine.
Old 02-19-2008 | 07:40 PM
SargentZ

just don't compare against an 06-08 cuz they'll be different...progressive steering. I love it, easy to turn when slow, tighter when driving faster.

A friends mom had a 280Z back in the day and that thing was crazy stiff.
Old 02-19-2008 | 09:29 PM
DJMatrix1067

well from a mechanical point of view there are a few things to check.

Nissans are notorious for leaking from the power steering resevoir (all nissans). So, take a moment and look underneath the car for any signs of fluid drips. also pop the hood and check the power steering fluid level, and check the hoses coming from the resevoir for signs of leaking. The dealer may try and hide this be cleaning and dressing the entire engine bay, so make sure you feel around the hoses for power steering fluid.

As for the feel, The Z is one of the best road-feel cars i've ever driven including exotics like the aston martin and ferrari's. the steering in my 04 is absolutely perfect. i mean its very tight at low speed, and even at highspeed. I wish every car out there was as tight as my Z. especially my corvette.

As a general comparison with all the other BMW's i've felt, the Z is WAY tighter on the steering wheel, brakes, and even gas pedal. The BMW will not have the road feel that the Z does.

as a comparison, get the car up to around 60 mph on an open road with no traffic and put the car in neutral. turn the engine off, and put the key back in the on position. observce how the car handles with no power steering. then turn the car back on and do the same handling again. there should not be a huge difference between the two, if any difference at all.
Old 02-19-2008 | 10:01 PM
roast

Originally Posted by DJMatrix1067
well from a mechanical point of view there are a few things to check.

Nissans are notorious for leaking from the power steering resevoir (all nissans). So, take a moment and look underneath the car for any signs of fluid drips. also pop the hood and check the power steering fluid level, and check the hoses coming from the resevoir for signs of leaking. The dealer may try and hide this be cleaning and dressing the entire engine bay, so make sure you feel around the hoses for power steering fluid.

As for the feel, The Z is one of the best road-feel cars i've ever driven including exotics like the aston martin and ferrari's. the steering in my 04 is absolutely perfect. i mean its very tight at low speed, and even at highspeed. I wish every car out there was as tight as my Z. especially my corvette.

As a general comparison with all the other BMW's i've felt, the Z is WAY tighter on the steering wheel, brakes, and even gas pedal. The BMW will not have the road feel that the Z does.

as a comparison, get the car up to around 60 mph on an open road with no traffic and put the car in neutral. turn the engine off, and put the key back in the on position. observce how the car handles with no power steering. then turn the car back on and do the same handling again. there should not be a huge difference between the two, if any difference at all.
Old 02-19-2008 | 10:04 PM
folgrz

Originally Posted by gotMEaZ33
yea i remember when i first test drove mine i thought the steering was pretty tight but i got used to it..... its becuase its a sports car
dude u live in huntington?

thats like 10 min from my house
Old 02-20-2008 | 09:27 AM
Chaser720
Lemoned Z
Premier Member

Originally Posted by davidv
350Z steering is lighter than some other vehicles. Heavier than others.
LOL
Old 02-20-2008 | 01:04 PM
blainer

I would just test drive another Z and compare it to that one or ask a friend to let you test drive his to see if the dealership is trying to sell you a crap car.
Old 02-20-2008 | 03:37 PM
Logikal_Disasta

Originally Posted by QuanL7B_P

Thanks for your help.
well i know that the bmw steering is real smooth. i notice a difference b/w my G and my dad's x5.

but i haven't heard of an "over-tight" steering due to a "sport suspension" i could see how the steering would be more responsive, but it should never take 2 hands to hold your line.

check the power steering fluid. b/c at highway speeds it is easier to hold a line then at a lower velcoity

Last edited by Logikal_Disasta; 02-20-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2008 | 04:59 PM
SniperHunter

Sounds normal to me. I've driven an E46 3-series many times before, and if you're coming from that, it's no wonder you think the Z is hard to steer. I'm sure the Z you're looking at is fine, all Zs have very firm steering wheels. I personally came from a 2001 SE Maxima, so I know how it feels to go from an overboosted wheel to the Z. The Zs wheel is even heavier than our FX35.
Old 02-21-2008 | 06:26 AM
gotMEaZ33

Originally Posted by folgrz
dude u live in huntington?

thats like 10 min from my house
yeaa man where do you live?

Quick Reply: Question on Steering Wheel before buying a Z!