Those with Auto Trannys

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 06:08 AM
R3VAN
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zipgun
Do us ALL a favor and just STFU.
Hes asking our opinions on the topic at hand, not asking which one performs better or what can beat what, so STFU and GTFO you stupid POS
Old 02-22-2008, 06:22 AM
jcleary47

The AT's shifting is absolutely stunning. Only the BEST MT drivers will shift faster. Period.

To each their own, but the people who talk trash to people who drive an AT aren't enthusiasts, they are just being immature and looking for a reason to stroke their own ego, for whatever the reason may be.

Enthusiasts respect a car for what it is. They respect the engineering, and the beauty of the car. If all you care about is what method is used to shift between gears...keep your mouth shut.

Have fun worrying about if you are going to make that next shift, or where you are going to get the money to replace your clutch when you burn it out from powershifting to compensate for your lack of prowess.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:30 AM
dhwang80

well it's not just about the speed of a shift.

don't forget to take into account drivetrain loss in auto's versus manuals and the fact it's not a 6 speed.

again to clarify my standpoint, the auto is perfect for the purposes of my Z.
(daily driver and cruising/looker vehicle)
Old 02-22-2008, 06:36 AM
jcleary47

I don't think there's really been enough evidence that the drivetrain loss in the AT's are significant enough for people to be knocking on it as much as they do.

To me, it looks like the difference is so minimal that if you get your everyday average MT driver up against someone in an AT, there is going to be no noticeable difference.

It is all just brainless banter over something that is just so stupid to me. Whatever.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:27 PM
zipgun

Originally Posted by IX R3VAN XI
Hes asking our opinions on the topic at hand, not asking which one performs better or what can beat what, so STFU and GTFO you stupid POS

Last edited by zipgun; 02-22-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Why bother dummys cant read anyway.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:35 PM
iMikie

I'm in love with my automatic. It is nice esp. living in Chicago with tons of traffic sometimes. I don't feel like replacing clutches and what not with a stick IMO.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:40 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
i thought you wanted to get a 6mt with high miles?
I did. But the more and more I search around, the more I know that I'll be assed out if I get one. So I've opted not to.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:00 PM
smashed pumpkin

Default Auto Tranny

Our first Z was an '04 roadster with a 6 speed, the new one is an '07 Auto.
I like them both; really enjoyed the 6 speed, but thought my wife would drive more if we got the automatic. The automatic has a manual mode and when downshifting the throttle gets a little blip for rev maching and it is very smooth. Another point to consider is hill holding and starting from a stop with someone right on your rear bumper, no worry about roll back.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:20 PM
R3VAN
Banned

Originally Posted by zipgun
lol smilies are great for any situation
Old 02-22-2008, 01:40 PM
east1999bt

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
SEARCH
Old 02-22-2008, 10:18 PM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
That's the wrong way of buying a car. You get the car you want. You don't just jump on a car because it's auto and cheaper. It might be more costly down the road. There are a lot of people on this forum who regret getting an auto. One guy actually paid over 10k just to swap out his tranny and convert it to manual. Even when you trade in the car, you will lose money regardless. If you wanted a manual but found a cheap auto, i would say keep looking. Don't rush when buying cars.
After reading through all the pages/posts, this post makes the most sense (and those that echo the bolded sentiment).

Spare no expense in getting the car that you want. Money/Cost shouldn't factor into being absolutely, unequivocably 100% satisfied with your purchase. If you're asking now if there are any regrets getting an AT, I'm thinking you're just trying to convince yourself that you won't have any regrets yourself when you get the AT.

In that case, get what you want and get the MT.

[Heck, if I'm totally wrong, and you're super-pro-AT, then get the AT...]

(my $0.02 even though I'm an MT driver...)
Old 02-22-2008, 10:48 PM
boostinger

i love my 5at i had a jeep wranger manual and it was fun but the kind of driving i do it is just more work call me lazy but i do alot of intown driving and i allways seem to have something else to do other then drive like text talk on phone or anything so it is kinda nice but i dont plan to mod so that made a big diff
Old 02-23-2008, 12:16 AM
zpak

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by boostinger
i love my 5at i had a jeep wranger manual and it was fun but the kind of driving i do it is just more work call me lazy but i do alot of intown driving and i allways seem to have something else to do other then drive like text talk on phone or anything so it is kinda nice but i dont plan to mod so that made a big diff
Hmmm. Maybe you should have gotten an MT, then.

Texting + Driving = Accident

(I kid ...but check out: http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3378025 )
Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 AM
iceagetlc

Originally Posted by smashed pumpkin
Our first Z was an '04 roadster with a 6 speed, the new one is an '07 Auto.
I like them both; really enjoyed the 6 speed, but thought my wife would drive more if we got the automatic. The automatic has a manual mode and when downshifting the throttle gets a little blip for rev maching and it is very smooth. Another point to consider is hill holding and starting from a stop with someone right on your rear bumper, no worry about roll back.
I've never worried about roll back, now that I think about it. And I live in a hilly area with tons of valley'd shopping centers. I can't even think about how I go about doing it, I guess it's just involuntary motion.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:43 AM
CRYSTALBOY

What we need is a DSG or an equivalent that does not convert power and torque through fluid, but through clutch. I do not mind driving manual with 3 pedals at all, but someone in my family does.... I am thinking to wait for Lancer Rallyart only on the count of its being equipped with a DSG-like transmission.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:16 AM
nightstorm

I have an auto. I have no regrets. I like just having to push the gas pedal when the light turns green. If you decide to get an automatic transmission I don't think you will have any problems with it.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:25 AM
ressling

i think traffic plays a much bigger factor into one's preference for an auto vs. manual. I think this is often overlooked. Just look at the peeps that enjoy their 5AT. They live in busy cities in TX, CA, IL, etc.

makes sense to me. which is why I got my 5AT.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:19 AM
ComBat

I'll put my AUTO against any 6MT on this thread board. Come down to South Florida...

Originally Posted by Firebase99
I love these auto vs. manual threads. And auto guys, please take NO offense..a Z is a Z. But has anyone EVER saw a thread titled "I have a 6-MT and wish I got an Auto"? Or something similar. Auto guy who post a reply usually has a few key words like " I love my auto BUT..."
Old 02-24-2008, 07:24 AM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Had both..6mt on my 04.5 and 5at on my 07....like them both but I have to say its nice not having to shift all of the time
Old 02-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Concave
Banned

Originally Posted by ncparamedic
Had both..6mt on my 04.5 and 5at on my 07....like them both but I have to say its nice not having to shift all of the time
I agree.
i have a 6 speed now and I get pretty tired of shifting all the time through town.

Quick Reply: Those with Auto Trannys