bhendjol
achoooooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ay~ yay~ yay~ yay~
Old 02-24-2008, 02:17 PM
DouBLeJ16

Originally Posted by jcleary47
The AT's shifting is absolutely stunning. Only the BEST MT drivers will shift faster. Period.
lol @ "absolutely stunning"
Old 02-24-2008, 02:18 PM
DouBLeJ16

Originally Posted by ComBat
I'll put my AUTO against any 6MT on this thread board. Come down to South Florida...
Stock vs. stock, mod vs. mod, you will get beat.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:21 PM
jcleary47

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
Stock vs. stock, mod vs. mod, you will get beat.
Only if the driver can shift better than a computer, and 9 times out of 10, the average driver won't be able to. I'm sure glad I'm not the clown bragging about my 6MT and worrying about whether or not I'll be able to make my next gear, or how much it's going to cost when I burn through my clutch thinking I'm a badass.

Get real please. Anyone with their head on their shoulders can control their car just as well in an automatic as someone in a manual can. It's about knowing how to drive.

Respect it, and cut it with the elitist 1 liners.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:29 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

unless you drive like 100miles a day in traffic or live in a town like san francisco i dont see any point in getting an automatic
Old 02-24-2008, 08:15 PM
THe Emperor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in heart of Chicago where there are stop lights or stop signs at just about every corner. Being in a busy city it's just WAY too much stop and go traffic here, even on the regular streets. I enjoy my automatic and I feel the auto stick is just fine when I feel like shifting. I can only imagine how pissed I would be on days where I would be in 2 hour stop and go traffic on the highway with a 6MT. Then on top of that I heard of way too many people on this board having problems with the 6MT and my 5AT is still sliky smooth. I plan on getting an Evo as my manual car for those days where I want to go on an all out sprint and shift gears. If a car run 12's I don't think anyone should give a chit about it being AT or MT either ways its fast no matter how you put it. Also we Z owners should be sticking together as Z owners and not arguing about who as an AT or MT like a bunch oh b****es.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Naper-Z

I drive a '07 with a 6MT and use it for my daily commute. I have a 13 mile/ 45 minute commute and would not trade my manual for automatic. The car is so fun at times, I am willing to shift a little in rush hour. Maybe I am still on the honeymoon with the car, but love driving it as much as I can.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:54 PM
THe Emperor

BTW you can't go wrong with a Nissan Titan transmission no matter how you look at it.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:07 PM
gregom

I just got an 04 Roadste with the 5AT... I wanted a manual, but in over a year i've been looking for a Z Roadster, I couldn't find one. I decided to at least try the auto, and it really wasn't bad so I got it.

I don't really regret it, I can still do burnouts, I can stick the tail out at corners at will as long as I plan on it ahead of time, donuts are easy to make, and its nice to be lazy sometimes. It's just as quick as the manual I'd say... raced a guy with a 6sp manual and I was only 3/8 a car length behind once we got up to about 80 MPH, my front end was just at his passenger door. So I'd say the auto is just as quick, but he got me on the launch because he dumped the clutch at probably around 4500, where the auto wont let you above 3000 RPM.

So I don't regret the auto, but if I had the choice I would of got a manual. Mainly because I like skipping gears, and downshifting is slow in the auto. You have to plan ahead to be in the gear you want when you get to the corner. Sometimes it faster just to leave it in auto and go WOT about 1.5 seconds before you want your desired gear, because the auto will switch down faster than you can make it do manually.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:17 PM
iceagetlc

The AT's shifting is absolutely stunning. Only the BEST MT drivers will shift faster.
It doesn't take much skill to shift this car quickly, but I guess that's why you got an auto, huh?

I wanted a manual, but in over a year i've been looking for a Z Roadster, I couldn't find one.
You definitely weren't searching hard enough. And you should ALWAYS get what you want, don't try and justify anything. There ARE reasons for getting an auto, but performance is never one of them.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:26 PM
gregom

I'm very picky... and there are only a few roadsters registered in the county I live, so when one finally came up with the color I wanted I decided to get it. I'm happy I did, the auto really isn't that bad. It performs very close to as well as a manual can. So I don't see why people hate it so much...
Old 02-24-2008, 10:41 PM
THe Emperor

Well all that matters it that you got the car that you wanted and that you're happy with it. Those who wanted 5AT's got 5AT's and those who wanted 6MT's got 6MT's. Everyone's happy with their individual cars right? So I don't see what the big debate is about.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:27 AM
scmtkings4

Originally Posted by iceagetlc
It doesn't take much skill to shift this car quickly, but I guess that's why you got an auto, huh?
tell that to all the guys who have 14 sec or more 1/4 times...
Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 AM
ashram

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my auto z for one important reason, I can't drive stick . but i definitely don't regret my purchase. I don't understand why some people bash the auto z's
I could see if nissan just dropped the manual in the z.

If that happened I could understand manual enthusiast being angry, but thats not the case here. Auto or manual were all driving one of the hottest cars on the road.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Vader007

I make no excusses for owning an auto Z and have yet to be beaten by an N/A stick!
My only complaint was off the line acceleration was lacking for me so I swapped rears and no longer have that problem.
I also just installed my paddle shifters this fall and love my car more than ever.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:39 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by iceagetlc
There ARE reasons for getting an auto, but performance is never one of them.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:25 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Originally Posted by Vader007
I make no excusses for owning an auto Z and have yet to be beaten by an N/A stick!
My only complaint was off the line acceleration was lacking for me so I swapped rears and no longer have that problem.
I also just installed my paddle shifters this fall and love my car more than ever.
which rearend did you go with and where did you buy your paddle shifters?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:14 PM
itsjiggajames

Only if the driver can shift better than a computer, and 9 times out of 10, the average driver won't be able to. I'm sure glad I'm not the clown bragging about my 6MT and worrying about whether or not I'll be able to make my next gear, or how much it's going to cost when I burn through my clutch thinking I'm a badass.

Get real please. Anyone with their head on their shoulders can control their car just as well in an automatic as someone in a manual can. It's about knowing how to drive.

Respect it, and cut it with the elitist 1 liners.
Bro, thats some Bullsh1t. No disrespect to automatics, since I actually enjoy getting in an automatic and my old cars were automatic, but my manual is faster than an automatic guaranteed.. My brother (Btw hes on the forums) has an 07 Automatic and I have an 07 Manual.. we did 2nd gear and 3rd gear rolls and I walked him every single time.. and he has more mods than I did at the time.. Although the auto Z's revmatching and quick shifts are certainly nice compared to other automatics..

His car had HFCs, Nismo Intakes and Nismo exhaust, versus my Nismo catback only, yet I walked away every time. Not hating at all once again, the Automatics are still fast despite having a taller final drive, taller gears, and one less gear. Facts are there.. and btw autos dyno lower than manuals. (And don't give me the too many variables talk. This was done on a 7acre horseranch with no other damn variables but me and him. He honked to get the reaction time since I have an advantage for being manual.)

And btw I've yet to miss a gear at WOT. Normal driving yes, when i'm lazy and not paying attention. The Zs manual gear box is notchy, loud, clunky, and all that negative ****, but one thing about it is that it is precise..

And ya i'm not ruling out that autos can't be faster sometimes. He ran a 6speed 07 and walked it before too from a dig.

Again, the fanboys poke their heads out again..
btw I don't consider my self the BEST OF THE BEST manual drivers. Hardly close..
Everyone picked their transmission for a reason. But don't come on here blurting out that 9 out of 10 manual drivers can't drive manual..

Last edited by itsjiggajames; 02-25-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Allen331

We all drive the same damn car. These threads are getting lame. People buy cars that suit their needs. Different transmissions serve different purposes.

To all the MT owners. Your car is not "better" than an automatic simply because it's a manual. It never ceases to amaze me how all you MT guys think your cars are superior just because they are manuals. Get real, it's the same damn car. Driving a manual doesn't mean your $hit don't stink.

For all you AT guys. Saying the AT is faster...well, it's not. To generalize and say that "9 times out of 10..." or "whether or not I'll make my next gear..." is plain stupid. Jclearly47, you obviously don't know how to drive stick if you have to wonder if you'll get the car in gear. It's rather simple, clutch it, put in gear, clutch out. It's not fukcing rocket science.

Bottom line, quit with all the fanboy $hit. We all drive the same cars, and frankly, to be arguing about which transmission is superior is plain childish.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:14 AM
jcleary47

Originally Posted by Allen331
Jclearly47, you obviously don't know how to drive stick if you have to wonder if you'll get the car in gear.
You are right, I don't have to worry if I'll get the car in gear, because I don't drive a manual. I know my car will get it in gear.

I believe what I said was miss a gear or grind a gear, not get it in gear.

That's besides the point. Obviously there are going to be MT drivers who can perform their shifts better than the auto. Maybe 9/10 was a little high, but that isn't even really the point.

The point is you aren't necessarily a better drive and your car isn't better just because it is a MT. Is that really not that obvious, or what?

Quick Reply: Those with Auto Trannys