Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Those with Auto Trannys

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:34 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

No need to argue what is faster - too many factors to just focus on the transmission...

Autos have greater drivetrain loss - that is well documented. You cannot pop the clutch at will in the autos so there is some loss of control, particularly on a road course. Other than that, this particular 5AT has minimal other deficiencies, though there is some variation in operation between different years and between coupe and sedan, at least for the G35. I for one, really dislike the operation in the 03/04 sedans, where the MM mode is a high gear selector (like most older designs). All the 05 loaner sedans I have driven do not do a direct double downshift, which I do not like, but otherwise operate just like my 04.5 coupe.

You folks buying 6MT machines today are lucky to have an extensively revised unit. Nissan has gone through 9 revisions to come up with something reliable. I can't tell you how many reports of replaced 6MT trannys (most under warranty) have been posted to this forum over the years. People making this choice a few years ago had a harder decision to make: a silky smooth hassle free auto or a sporty, but prone to failure stick!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:06 AM
iceagetlc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
a silky smooth hassle free auto or a sporty, but prone to failure stick!
Chance of failure with a stick: 30%
Chance of failure with an auto: 100%
Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Cataftercat

You could get the AT then buy one of those fake leather cover thingies to make it look like a stick shift (put your hand on it pretend to shift when you drive)....this way you get all the benefits of having an auto but still look like you are too adventurous for it.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 AM
jcleary47

Originally Posted by Cataftercat
You could get the AT then buy one of those fake leather cover thingies to make it look like a stick shift (put your hand on it pretend to shift when you drive)....this way you get all the benefits of having an auto but still look like you are too adventurous for it.
LOL
Old 02-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Allen331

Originally Posted by iceagetlc
Umm..no
Old 02-26-2008, 09:40 AM
Allen331

Originally Posted by jcleary47
Only if the driver can shift better than a computer, and 9 times out of 10, the average driver won't be able to. I'm sure glad I'm not the clown bragging about my 6MT and worrying about whether or not I'll be able to make my next gear, or how much it's going to cost when I burn through my clutch thinking I'm a badass.

Get real please. Anyone with their head on their shoulders can control their car just as well in an automatic as someone in a manual can. It's about knowing how to drive.

Respect it, and cut it with the elitist 1 liners.

Originally Posted by jcleary47
You are right, I don't have to worry if I'll get the car in gear, because I don't drive a manual. I know my car will get it in gear.

I believe what I said was miss a gear or grind a gear, not get it in gear.

That's besides the point. Obviously there are going to be MT drivers who can perform their shifts better than the auto. Maybe 9/10 was a little high, but that isn't even really the point.

The point is you aren't necessarily a better drive and your car isn't better just because it is a MT. Is that really not that obvious, or what?
No that is not what you said. The concept it not really that hard, you just are ignorant to driving a manaul, so you come in making assumptions on how MT driver's do that. I guess you would if you are a noob driver, but I must say about 90 to 95% of the people that buy MT 350z already know how to drive, and thus wont "burn their clutch (unless their doing clutch dumps or something stupid) or miss or grind a gear on a daily basis.

You know it's funny, your point is this. AT are better th MT. It's not. Nor is MT greater than AT. Get over it. AT Z's are not as performance oriented as MT, given, but that does not make either of one better than the other.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:52 AM
The Captain

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my Z as a DD and drive in traffic at least 1-2 hours per day. (Houston Traffic >_<) I didn't want to deal with the constant shifting of gears and after driving the AT I was still impressed with it's speed vs. the manual. So, I went for what was right for my needs and got the AT.

I don't regret and doubt that I ever will. The Z is an awesome, fun car regardless of the tranny. Oh, and if you get the AT and want to control the revs your self, just toss it in the manual mode and have at it.

It's already been said a few times in this thread, but we all drive and enjoy the same car -- There's no need to bash others for their choice of tranny. Imagine
Old 02-26-2008, 12:22 PM
gmueip
Hi Kids!

My Z is my DD also and I have no regrets about getting an automatic. I got an automatic because I work in the Washington DC area, which means horrible bumper to bumper traffic and also because I've never driven a stick shift before I did not want to ruing the clutch while learning on the Z.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:01 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by iceagetlc
Err...it's probably the other way around.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Huh? Wat? Oh.....still going?...late
Old 09-11-2008, 07:30 PM
J. Dub

Love my AT. But I also do a lot of city driving.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:41 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

the only time i dont like driving manual is when im in heavy traffic going up a steep hill or trying to park on a steep hill.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Zenica

Originally Posted by test123
Do you regret the fact you purchased an auto and didn't purchase a manual?

I am going car shopping this weekend, and I noticed a good deal of AT's in 350Z's for sale right now. They don't seem to be moving off the used car lots that fast. I plan on test driving both, but want to hear your input. Seems as though dealers would strike a better deal on an AT before manual. I'm seeing 2006 Tourings in the 22k range with pretty low miles (AT).
Nope.

I prefer an auto.

I'd rather have my free hand on my wifes lap or holding a water bottle.

I had the 300ZX TT as an auto modded heavily with NOS and the auto handled it fine.

Plus I have a bad knee from a motorcycle accident when I was 20
and a stick would not be very fun for me after 5 minutes.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:00 PM
THe Emperor

Not sure if I posted in in thread already but I love my 5AT. I live on the southside of Chicago and work downtown. So I do all city driving and my 5AT handles it perfectly. Also I love the tiptronic which still allows me to control which gear I'm in and use engine braking, etc. With a valvebody upgrade the 5AT will shift faster than any human can with a standard 6spd and has 0 chance for a mis-shift which will come in handy when I go FI.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:58 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of you guys are halarious! The manual and auto are different, why?

#1: The auto and manual have different ratio rearend gearing from the factory! With the 6 speed having the more aggressive gearing for acceleration.

#2: You can swap the manuals gears into an auto you know and the 6 speed will not pull on the auto. I have seen the match up!!

#3: Like emperor said do a valve body upgrade on the auto tranny and you will have to powershift to replicate anywhere near the speed of the shift of the auto tranny.

#4: boosted auto's don't lose boost when shifting like a manual does. So where it might lack in rwhp makes up with boost.

#5: Enjoy the car no matter if you have a auto or a manual and stop bashing people cars to make your dick look a little bigger, thanks.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Turbonium

Stick for me.

The Z has plenty of torque at any RPM. The car can handle aggressive up-to-the-redline runs and at the same time be very relaxing when you just don't feel like rowing the gears.

When i am lazy or tired after work i just skip-shift. Roll off idle into 1st and skip either into 3rd, 6th or 4th, 6th. Sometimes from 1st to 6th.

The Z can pull around town or in traffic at barely above 1k rpm in high gear so if you don't feel like shifting you really don't have to.

I live in the Tri-State area and heavy traffic is just something i live with and I've never found myself sitting in stop and go traffic thinking "boy, i wish i had an autobox".

Manual is just way too much fun. Getting to know your car and its character and being able to execute those perfect throttle-blip accompanied downshifts is just such a pleasure.

On the other hand, if you don't know how to drive stick (and i am not trying to put anyone down, lots of people don't drive stick) or have a medical disability or have to share the car with someone who absolutely needs an autobox, there is nothing wrong with that.

I guess it is all about what fits you best. There is no universal standard when it comes to transmission choice.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:14 PM
lowtempo

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

After close to 90k miles on my 5at. I still love it! I have taken it to dragstrips, racetracks etc and many twisty roads and love driving the manual mode... its just a fun car to have.... I would not trade it in for manual too much work around here with the traffic and hills and stuff...
Old 09-13-2008, 02:35 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ghey *** thread.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Concave
Banned

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Ghey *** thread.
+1
Old 09-13-2008, 03:21 PM
10sec_CRX

I drive in traffic so I went with the Auto..

Quick Reply: Those with Auto Trannys