Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I Hate my Z...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 AM
sansoo22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I now love/hate my Z...

Before i get started let me put my flame suit on...ok ready.

I bought my Z a little over 2 months ago. Its an 03 touring i got used through a broker. It came with an injen intake and a tune from a local shop in its area of origin (some where around Des Moines). It also had the clutch replaced before i got it and came complete with paperwork on the clutch install.

And so far this car is the most fun and the most miserable thing that i have ever driven. When i can get the shifting down right its a pure blast but when im off i want to crash it into a wall. Being a rather tall driver the clutch is driving me absolutely insane. My knee keeps crashing into the steering wheel when i try to let it out. I either get really good shifts or horrible ones no matter what i do. I can launch the car just fine but any sort of controlled take off is completely out of the question. Ive adjusted the clutch to the lowest recommended height per what the service manual says and that has help out some.

I just cant get a feel for this car no matter what i do. Im no novice to mt's either. Ive been able to run friends cars at test and tune night and get better times than they can with no "seat time." The other thing i cant stand is the tiny freakin gas pedal. How is someone with a shoe size 13 supposed to heel-toe this thing?

Maybe i just miss my old 89 Starion. Never had to lift my heel of the ground to let that clutch all the way out. Sure it was aftermarket and stiff as all hell but it felt great. I loved all the resistance in that clutch.

I need to figure something out fast before i burn up this brand new clutch or sell this thing and buy another starion and build it from the ground up with all the money i saved.

Oh and one last question, does anyone elses Z have a little free play in the gas pedal? Is this normal or do i need to adjust something? Cuz rev-matching on my DC downshifts is a pain with that free play at the beginning of the pedal stroke.

Sorry to whine like a girl but i hope someone else is having as much trouble as me and can help out a little

EDIT: Things are greatly improving between me and Tina (my Z). I'm now starting to see why i chose this car and so many others rave about them.

Last edited by sansoo22; 03-08-2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: UPDATE:
Old 03-05-2008, 12:43 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually the clutch in a Z is really different compared to any other vehicle, it's something that takes a little more time to get into the grove with. since your so tall do you have the seat all the way back?, or the steering wheel too far down?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:54 AM
sansoo22

seats all the way back. I tried moving the steering wheel up to its full height but it changed my steering dynamics to much. Not on the car but for me personally i just didnt like it.

Maybe ill just get used to the idea that this "brand new" clutch is gonna die quicker than id like while i learn how the Z works. I'll be goin FI as soon as i get this down to a "T" anyways.

Anyone else with big feet have trouble with the heel-toe down shifting?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:15 AM
GSX-R350Z

how tall are you and how come you didnt go to a nissan dealership and ask to test drive one before you decided to buy it?

^ not to come off as a jerk. but damn bro...you've tried everything?

hmm...i know the feeling man I cant drive when im uncomfortable...heh...

just try playing around a little more if not then...I guess get it modified for your height or sell...

sorry no help here man...
Old 03-05-2008, 01:41 AM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense but why did you buy it without test driving to make sure it is comfortable to your height. You don't have any other option unless you get aftermarket seats or steering wheel which might not help. As far as leaning to drive a stick, it comes with experience. It took me a while to get used to it but after a while it is a breeze. Goodluck with whatever choice you make.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 AM
ZForce1
You're done son

Cool

Old 03-05-2008, 01:47 AM
sansoo22

Its not the comfort of the car that bothers me. Its having a clutch pedal a good 3/4" above the break pedal coupled with the engagement being towards the top of the pedals release that is causing the most problem.

I bought because of the VQ35's potential on the track. I dont plan on daily driving this car. More of a weekend warrior/clubsport car.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:57 AM
sansoo22

KingBaby are you daily driving this car or racing it? If youre racing it are you drag or road racing? If you've got Double-clutching and/or Heel-toe down shifts down please enlighten me.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 AM
sansoo22

yeah thats what im thinking ill have to do. Just didnt know if there were any tricks to driving the Z versus other cars before i started cutting and welding anything. Guess i should check a salvage yard for spares first tho. Good flame by the way. Cuz if i had to drive an American car i prolly would kill myself.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:40 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by sansoo22
KingBaby are you daily driving this car or racing it? If youre racing it are you drag or road racing? If you've got Double-clutching and/or Heel-toe down shifts down please enlighten me.
Hmm... okay, Vin...

Anyway, I don't see what you're complaining about heel-toe, it has nothing to do with how high your clutch pedal is. All the work is on your right foot. Brake, blip throttle with the outer edge of your right foot, rev match, and drop it back in gear. Once you're used to the clutch engagement it's all a seamless process.

Double clutching? Well, you've probably been watching too many ricer movies because I have no idea how that applies unless you're racing a dump truck.

For what it's worth, my early 2003 (2002) stock clutch engaged almost right on the floor. I had to change up my driving style with my carbon clutch because it engages right at the top of the range of the pedal. I eventually got used to it and it actually makes shifting faster, it's just a bit more difficult to start smoothly.

Anyway, good luck, but it sounds like you need to rethink your driving habits before blaming the car.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:49 AM
MinerZ

Not sure about your knee hitting the dashboard problem. I'm 6'2 with 14.5 shoe size, and I don't have any problems with knees hitting anything. As far as heel-toe shifting watch this. This is an alternate method, and the one that I use for rev-matching.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6...1600f59985.htm
Old 03-05-2008, 02:57 AM
350Zak

uhh im 6'4 w/ size 15 feet and this has never happened to me. you sure you put the steering wheel all the way up/seat all the way back? I've never so much as felt cramped in my Z let alone had problems shifting because of space restriction...
Old 03-05-2008, 03:05 AM
350Zak

Then again, how much do you weigh?
Old 03-05-2008, 03:11 AM
cp2
Banned

Maybe the Z just ain't for you. All cars can't be for everyone. So maybe you should sell it for a more suitable ride....and test drive it to be sure.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:37 AM
luvmyumpc

It sounds like (this may be obvious to some) that you have a car that was custom set up for the person who built it as a personal track car. You don't fit into his or her same likes and dislikes as well as their proportions. You can get used to how this car drives, you can take it to a race shop and have it customized for you, or you can dump it on the market again. One thing that is going to hamper the last thing is that you will have a hard time selling to someone who doesn't want to test drive the car or at least see it before buying it. I have done that twice now (ya, shame) and been burned once with a car that was ready for the heap, but the other one was a pure track car that I knew would be something I have to learn to drive. You might learn to drive your car within a short period of time and absolutely love it to death..
Either way, cars can give your your ultimate highs, but they also follow up with some ultimate lows. Good luck and let us know what you do with it.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:03 AM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would either try to live with it! or pick up a set of aftermarket seats! and aftermarket steering wheel setup! I had to do this to my track car because its stock dimensions were disporportional to me. I needed to reduce the steering wheel 20mm, bring it 4inches closer to my chest and move my seat 3 inches backwords. all achieved by aftermarket seat and steering wheel setup!!! i hope you find comfort.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:20 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I was uncomfortable in the Z for about 6 months. Then I set the seatback to almost a full upright, and moved it back. Comfort is much improved.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:25 AM
SupermanZ

I'm 6'2" and wear a size 15. Very rare that my feet cause me to mess up.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 AM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sansoo22
You're flame suit should be on for that statement alone.

Your clutch height is adjustable. After I got my JWT clutch/flywheel combo installed I had them adjust it where the disengagement point wasn't nearly as high as stock.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:36 AM
DaytonaRoadster
Banned

the only sports car i felt unconfortable in was an S2000, at 6'0 260 lbs, my 5'9 180 roomate got one, i can fit in the passager seat fine, but the drives is kinda tight

Quick Reply: I Hate my Z...