2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Not using cluth in 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008 | 12:19 AM
KAZ350Z

this is retarded
Old 04-21-2008 | 03:45 AM
Swiffer

Keep it up and let us know how long you go until something breaks.
Old 04-21-2008 | 03:45 AM
Z04

this thread is stupid. OP, hope your tranny blows from your abuse of a car. even the wiki source you posted said that it is not to be done with a car that has synchros, yet you are still asking anyway. you also complained to someone about reading comprehension. well obviously you suck in that department since you can not understand that the crap you did with an unsynchro'd transmission is not to be done with one that does. it is all just a mattter of time, you are going to shift one time then hear a "CLUNK", and that will be it. too bad i can not be around to laugh at your stupid *** in person.
Old 04-21-2008 | 04:27 AM
Dr. Venture

whats the use of power shifting?? Hope u have AAA when u get stuck in the woods with Harry Henderson!!
Old 04-21-2008 | 04:49 AM
bmaiZ

don't think i wanna try it but it's good to know it's possible.
you need push the clutch in for the 1st gear or at least gets the car moving?
Old 04-21-2008 | 05:19 AM
bailey bill

From the info you posted:

"Although the technique works in synchronized gearboxes, it is INAPPROPRIATE in nearly all circumstances."

If you think this is a smoother method changine gears, then you need a lot of practice using the clutch.

I learned this technique many years ago, and it is a good trick to know for use in emergencies, like if your clutch hydraulic actuation system fails. But for every day driving, it is very inefficient. It requires careful timing and a fair amount of precision.
Old 04-21-2008 | 05:56 AM
TerraNova3

This looks like a bad idea.

Old 04-21-2008 | 06:16 AM
Stogge

This actually isn't a bad practice as long as you get the feel for when you should be shifting and make sure that you load the stick before pulling... This actually isn't a new concept at all, done right, this is the MOST efficient way of shifting... Of course this is not appropriate for downshifting in any situation, but I am rather shocked that everyone seems so shocked by the notion of shifting without a clutch...
Old 04-21-2008 | 06:22 AM
1sikz31

Im not trying to sound like an ***...
But "350z" owners SERIOUSLY amaze me DAILY.

I for myself drive an old-school 300zx, and on the 300zx forums 3/4 people will understand EXACTLY how a transmission works at least enough to understand basic principles in a manual transmission.
Im not a genius, but I came to the conclusion that most owners here bought these cars to "fit in".

I cant believe 9/10 people here don't even understand how this crap works.

ALL OF YOU need go to to www.howstuffworks.com and read, read and read.

If you put a "nuetral" load (positive load being engine acceleration, while negative load is engine-braking, also known as throttle-lift) on the transmission, you can slip whatever gear-set you are in out of gear, if you are familiar with your car or BASIC MECHANICS, you will soon realize and understand what RPM the next gear needs to be in. If done right, it will SMOOTHLY sail in to gear.

NO CLUTCH DAMAGE.
NO premature synchro-failure.
+2 Skill points.

Also, anyone who trusts 100% of Wikipedia is a douche bag.

Anyone who thinks you are damaging anything needs to go back to grade school.
If the process is done right, no damage or pre-mature wear is added to ANYTHING.
Old 04-21-2008 | 06:31 AM
imjdoggie

I use this technique in my 1989 Honda Accord with 150k miles but honestly I would not do this with my Z. This may not hurt your car but I PERSONALLY feel like I would be abusing the Z, just my opinion man like I said just an opinion.
Old 04-21-2008 | 07:13 AM
Stogge

Originally Posted by 1sikz31
Im not trying to sound like an ***...
But "350z" owners SERIOUSLY amaze me DAILY.

I for myself drive an old-school 300zx, and on the 300zx forums 3/4 people will understand EXACTLY how a transmission works at least enough to understand basic principles in a manual transmission.
Im not a genius, but I came to the conclusion that most owners here bought these cars to "fit in".

I cant believe 9/10 people here don't even understand how this crap works.

ALL OF YOU need go to to www.howstuffworks.com and read, read and read.

If you put a "nuetral" load (positive load being engine acceleration, while negative load is engine-braking, also known as throttle-lift) on the transmission, you can slip whatever gear-set you are in out of gear, if you are familiar with your car or BASIC MECHANICS, you will soon realize and understand what RPM the next gear needs to be in. If done right, it will SMOOTHLY sail in to gear.

NO CLUTCH DAMAGE.
+2 Skill points.

If the process is done right, no damage or pre-mature wear is added to ANYTHING.

+100000

Exactly what I was trying to say... Flaming out of ignorance = Not Good To Go...
Old 04-21-2008 | 08:43 AM
I1DER

Originally Posted by 1sikz31
NO CLUTCH DAMAGE.
+2 Skill points.

You can dip a quill in an ink bottle and if done right, you can write without making a mess. Or, you can use a ball point pen.

If practiced correctly, you can also have sex using the withdrawal method without someone getting pregnant.

In the end, is there any difference between this thread and the one on double-clutching?
Old 04-21-2008 | 08:46 AM
teddyrx2

not using the pedel to change gears will not kill the clutch as fast or at all...So just shifting gears without using the foot is a good thing...i do it all the time when ever im driving my car...
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:02 AM
my05350z

Originally Posted by I1DER

If practiced correctly, you can also have sex using the withdrawal method without someone getting someone getting pregnant
Dont believe you

For the OP, i once knew a guy that could do it, purely by the sound of the engine. I personally am not so skilled and will no attempt such tactics, but thanks for letting us know it is a possibility.
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:06 AM
Fluid1

If the clutch was unnecessary it would not be there.
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:11 AM
Ghost 350z

^^tro0f
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:12 AM
wldkatz03

if you didn't need to push the clutch in to shift, why did they give us one?

oopps just saw the same post above! Sorry!
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:32 AM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by Motero
What do you guys think?
The good guy in me who respects his machinery says: I think this is not a good idea.

The evil guy in me who likes to do bad boy stuff says: Even when I do something that is _really_ not a good idea, like full throttle power shifting without throttle lift, I still side step the clutch!
Old 04-21-2008 | 10:00 AM
afwiggith

It's all about rev-matching if you were to try it. I used to do it in my 86 S-10 and I would do it by sound since I didn't have a tach. I also didn't really care if I screwed up the transmission in that $50 POS. I would NOT try this in the Z. I love my car way too much to risk it. The clutch is right there, it doesn't require that much effort. Like someone else said, it is nice to know in an emergency (like if the clutch goes out or something along those lines)

As for the truck drivers doing it, that's a totally different argument. Over revving in a semi is about 2000 rpm, and it takes a lot less effort to synch up the gears at 1500 rpm as opposed to ~3500 rpm as was brought up earlier.

I ride dirt bikes, also, and every time I tried it on mine I could hear the bike go into gear.

My advice: Don't do it in the Z! Older cars, maybe, but not a Z!
Old 04-21-2008 | 10:34 AM
2fast4comfort

to answer a few posts
a motorcycle has a different kind of tranny its a continues mesh so you don't need to use the clutch on up shifts(except 1st-2nd)

replacing a clutch is much cheaper than replacing the syncros

and to address the general thread:
yes you can shift like this and if you do it perfectly it will not harm anything, basically what you are doing is shifting the wear from the clutch to the syncros, the clutch however is much more robust so takes a lot longer to wear out

also if you use the clutch properly it will feel exactly the same as when you shift this way. so the real issue here is not that shifting this way is smoother
it is that you don't know how to use your clutch well enough to shift as smoothly as when you shift without it

also a worn clutch is annoying and something you should get fixed. a blown sycro means you cant even use that gear until it is fixed

Quick Reply: Not using cluth in 6mt