Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Not using cluth in 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008 | 08:53 PM
Motero
Banned

Originally Posted by Marino Z
serious? why risking the car to do this?
Same thing can be said, why do people drop their clutches when racing. It's real bad for the drive terrain. Same thing with drifting, why do people do it? Its not fastest way around a track.

Its just a form of driving.

Last edited by Motero; 04-21-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:04 PM
Zian

To the OP: what you are getting here is a lot of people being nervous about this technique. The truth of the matter is that it is POSSIBLE to clutchlessly shift and not cause damage or excess wear.

You need to be honest with yourself...are you actually that good at it? CAN you do it day in and day out without being a few hundred rpm off?

I personally have done it a few times just for fun. That said, I know it wasn't perfect, and I wouldn't make a habit of it because I am simply not THAT good at it.

Technically one could use this technique almost every time and be fine. Your car, your risk. My apologies for those members that don't understand how a transmission works and think that this is impossible.
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:11 PM
smokedout350z

whoa
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:29 PM
Asian Invasian

I didn't know it was possible, but it doesn't sound good.
Old 04-21-2008 | 10:05 PM
Zian

ahh. porsche type synchros have made us both lazy AND stupid....

KIDDING
Old 04-21-2008 | 10:14 PM
BlueZ Brother
Custom Title.
Premier Member

I remember reading somewhere that the 350Z's manual is so smooth-running that you could theoretically shift gears without using the clutch. I'm not sure who recommended this and the key word here is theoretically.

I would definitely suggest shifting with the clutch. It should be cheaper to replace a clutch instead of the entire transmission. I have yet to see a true stick shift manual that can be reliably shifted without the use of the clutch pedal.
Old 04-21-2008 | 11:29 PM
Motero
Banned

Originally Posted by BlueZ Brother
I remember reading somewhere that the 350Z's manual is so smooth-running that you could theoretically shift gears without using the clutch. I'm not sure who recommended this and the key word here is theoretically.

I would definitely suggest shifting with the clutch. It should be cheaper to replace a clutch instead of the entire transmission. I have yet to see a true stick shift manual that can be reliably shifted without the use of the clutch pedal.
Definitely. When i say smooth, i mean extremely smooth, you can hardly tell you're even shifting...
Old 04-22-2008 | 12:32 AM
NISMO_558

Originally Posted by Motero
drive terrain.
terrain?

seriously, how can someone be so lazy that they can't push down a fricken pedel to shift? the "manual mode" on the automatics works just the same. Lazy bastard

Last edited by NISMO_558; 04-22-2008 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-22-2008 | 04:45 AM
350zlmtd

Originally Posted by Motero
So according to the guy above, if it doesn't say something in the manual, its incorrect.
I never said it was incorrect I just was simply stating your going against the way the car is designed to be driven. If it was easier and pointless to have the clutch to shift then why did nissan put the clutch in the z? Honestly you been doing this for technique for 9 months and you just now wanna know if the synchros premature you should have known that before going out it and doing it. I would like to know why you even decided to do this in the first place. You woke up one day and told yourself "**** my clutch its pointless its for retards who don't know how to drive a manual"? and im so sure when you started doing this you were slipping the gears in at perfect timing In all theory I think you just got to tired of driving a manual and wished you had a automatic.
Old 04-22-2008 | 06:44 AM
Stogge

Originally Posted by 350zlmtd
I never said it was incorrect I just was simply stating your going against the way the car is designed to be driven. If it was easier and pointless to have the clutch to shift then why did nissan put the clutch in the z? Honestly you been doing this for technique for 9 months and you just now wanna know if the synchros premature you should have known that before going out it and doing it. I would like to know why you even decided to do this in the first place. You woke up one day and told yourself "**** my clutch its pointless its for retards who don't know how to drive a manual"? and im so sure when you started doing this you were slipping the gears in at perfect timing In all theory I think you just got to tired of driving a manual and wished you had a automatic.
Based on this way of thinking, one could also pose the question Why did Nissan put 6 cup holders in my 2007 350z 2 seater?

Your beating a dead horse hear Man... We have all now been educated that you indeed CAN shift without using the clutch, without causing damage that falls outside the normal realm... Hope this doesn't cause you to lose sleep...
Old 04-22-2008 | 06:54 AM
1sikz31

Originally Posted by CSF
now i don't claim to know a lot, but i can understand the basic mechanics of how the transmission works. in hopes of trying to understand this more, how do you know when you have a neutral load? do you just start pulling on the shifter?
i definitely wouldn't trust myself doing this...griiiiiiind
Well on cars I drive, theres a specific "tone" the engine makes upon any load of acceleration (Example: 5% throttle, 10% throttle, 20% etc...), and theres a specific "tone" the engine makes upon fuel cut to (Fuel cut referring to DECELERATION not the rev-limiter).
BUT!... There's also a Engine tone related to a NUETRAL load, meaning if you get it correct, you can literally go for example 30mph in 2nd gear sitting at 3,000RPM and you can literally even out the engine load and push the clutch in and out completely while IN GEAR and there will be no engine speed increase, decrease, or change in engine tone! When practiced enough, you will learn what a "nuetral engine load" is. The problem being, if your going down an incline or a downhill portion of a road, the car could slow down or speed up, causing this technique to fail, since input shaft speed will no longer be going the same rate of speed as the output shaft speed, causing the car to buck since both shafts will not be aligned perfectly.

When you get REALLY good at it, you can do this technique in almost any car you drive, at any speed, at any RPM, any gear, and best of all its sooo smooth a passenger wont even notice what you did without visually watching!

If you can get what I mentioned above down, you can remove the gear selector out of gear without causing ANY harm to the transmission or clutch.

Last edited by 1sikz31; 04-22-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2008 | 09:14 AM
chunky_baby

My take:

A) yes it's possible
B) no, they didn't design it that way - so why do it?
C) why didn't you buy an automatic?
D) I am not doing it
E) it's your car - if you think you can do it without damaging anything, it's your call. Just don't come crying in here later when you mess up your tranny, as there are a lot of people here that will jump on you, no matter how far in the future it is.
Old 04-22-2008 | 09:21 AM
pHiLDeZnUtZz

Although shifting without the clutch is possible, it's always better to shift with the clutch for safety purposes. A friend of mine had his slave cylinder go out which cause no feedback from the clutch pedal whatsoever. He had to drive 30 miles to get his car home shifting without the clutch and when he came to a light his car stalled since the pedal failed to work. This example would probably be the only reason its necessary to shift without the clutch.
Old 04-22-2008 | 02:31 PM
Steve-O Z33

Why'd everyone jump this guy? I don't even know what a cluth is.

I shift with a clutch. No idea what a cluth is.
Old 04-22-2008 | 02:45 PM
kevin_4000

buy an automatic..put that **** in tip and change gears without clutch
Old 04-22-2008 | 02:52 PM
kenpo_350Z

^ +1 Why not get an automatic if you are too lazy to use the clutch.
Old 04-22-2008 | 04:57 PM
PeterTA
Banned for NON PAYMENT

this method is actually used to determine if your tranny is actually faulty. a lot of technicians ive talked to use this technique to check for gear grind. its actually very very easy to drive this way. i agree with the OP. and no it doesnt ruin your transmission
Old 04-22-2008 | 06:04 PM
kenpo_350Z

Man why did Nissan even bother with clutches then? What a waste of money their part. We don't need no stinkin clutches.
Old 04-22-2008 | 06:17 PM
Motero
Banned

Originally Posted by kenpo_350Z
Man why did Nissan even bother with clutches then? What a waste of money their part. We don't need no stinkin clutches.

for idiots like you that jump on the bandwagon. Im glad they put a clutch there. People still mess up their trannys, even with a clutch.
Old 04-22-2008 | 08:13 PM
roast

Anyone who understands how a transmission works knows that you can easily shift without the clutch.

....they also understand that it's absurd to do and causes much undue wear on the transmission.

Get up to 80mph and jam it into reverse for all we care.

/thread

Quick Reply: Not using cluth in 6mt