2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Not using cluth in 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008 | 10:56 AM
WhiteNoiz

Originally Posted by 1sikz31
NO CLUTCH DAMAGE.
NO premature synchro-failure.
I agree, Ive played with it in my first car. Seems obvious to me that there isnt a lot of room for error + or - "perfect" rpms, and that some syncro wear is inevitable if done all the time. I peronally wouldnt do it to my 30k sports car, but thats just me. If I had a civic beater, maybe then, just maybe, just to get the skill/cool points
I dont have money to throw down the tube...

I wouldnt say all the members on here are idiots, maybe half some may be flaming out of ignorance, but some do know what they are talking about! I think a point being missed here is that yes, it can be done, and without damage, BUT how many times? Is it a good idea to do all the time? Probably not.
Old 04-21-2008 | 12:56 PM
Fletch69z

Good luck with that whole not shifting thing. I think that every single manufacturer that builds a car with a manual transmission puts in a clutch for a reason, but that's just me.
Old 04-21-2008 | 01:16 PM
davidv

Question

BTW does anyone use that shift thing in the center of the console? Its kind of like a stick with a **** on the end?

Last edited by davidv; 04-21-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2008 | 01:30 PM
CSF

Originally Posted by davidv
BTW does anyone use that shift thing in the center of the console? Its kind of like a stick with a **** on the end?
lol
Old 04-21-2008 | 01:37 PM
CSF

Originally Posted by 1sikz31
If you put a "nuetral" load (positive load being engine acceleration, while negative load is engine-braking, also known as throttle-lift) on the transmission, you can slip whatever gear-set you are in out of gear, if you are familiar with your car or BASIC MECHANICS, you will soon realize and understand what RPM the next gear needs to be in. If done right, it will SMOOTHLY sail in to gear.
now i don't claim to know a lot, but i can understand the basic mechanics of how the transmission works. in hopes of trying to understand this more, how do you know when you have a neutral load? do you just start pulling on the shifter?
i definitely wouldn't trust myself doing this...griiiiiiind
Old 04-21-2008 | 01:41 PM
Motero
Banned

In the past 9 months that i have been utilizing this technique, I have grinded once. Im pretty sure they're many people that grind on a daily/weekly basis. So, if it doesn't grind, will it still cause premature wear?

If im heavily accelerating, i will always use the clutch...
Old 04-21-2008 | 02:21 PM
350zlmtd

Why not just use the clutch like every other normal person instead of giving yourself a headache of trying to match rpms or burning up your synchros. You said your using your clutch at high revs what the problem with just using it in low revs also does it really take that much more effort? And seriously who you trying to impress? If I new you were doing that in your z and were selling it I would avoid you. If you use your clutch right you shouldn't have a problem destroying anything. To each is there own do what you want its your car but dont expect alot people to support your idea on this forum.
Old 04-21-2008 | 02:57 PM
jimmyloose

the synchros on my daily broke (2,3,4) so I use it on those gears if I'm being lazy.

If you aren't god's gift to rev-matching this does wear the synchros and is NOT good for the engine.

If the trans speed and engine speend aren't 100% aligned, the synchro is taking the strain of spinning the engine up or down to match the momentum of the car. Does that sound like a good idea to you? Something designed to spin a few gears at the proper speed being used to spin your engine?

Neg.
Old 04-21-2008 | 03:02 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by CSF
now i don't claim to know a lot, but i can understand the basic mechanics of how the transmission works. in hopes of trying to understand this more, how do you know when you have a neutral load? do you just start pulling on the shifter?
i definitely wouldn't trust myself doing this...griiiiiiind
I learned the technique traveling cross country in a WV. The clutch went out, and I had hundreds of miles to drive. And yes, if you are gradually increasing RPM with some pressure on the shifter, at some point it will slip into gear easily.

Of course this is NOT a technique that I recommend not even for drag racing.
Old 04-21-2008 | 03:03 PM
350zlmtd

Also were in the manual does it say that its ok not to use the clutch when shifting? If it does please show us but I doubt it. Regardless of whether you think you can do this and theres no harm is still going against the way the car is designed and meant to be drove.
Old 04-21-2008 | 03:27 PM
s31t8n8

its amazing how many people lack common sense these days
Old 04-21-2008 | 03:32 PM
Motero
Banned

Originally Posted by s31t8n8
its amazing how many people lack common sense these days
It's amazing how many people jump the bandwagon without even knowing how the transmission works...

Originally Posted by 350zlmtd
Also were in the manual does it say that its ok not to use the clutch when shifting? If it does please show us but I doubt it. Regardless of whether you think you can do this and theres no harm is still going against the way the car is designed and meant to be drove.

So according to the guy above, if it doesn't say something in the manual, its incorrect.
Old 04-21-2008 | 04:12 PM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by teddyrx2
not using the pedel to change gears will not kill the clutch as fast or at all...So just shifting gears without using the foot is a good thing...i do it all the time when ever im driving my car...
Nearly 100% of clutch wer is the result of the slippage during take-off. (And that's what its supposed to do, slip so take-off will be smooth.

There is virtually zero clutch wear at gear changes.

bill
Old 04-21-2008 | 04:17 PM
DaytonaRoadster
Banned

The only person i've seen doing this for a prolonged period was my father, he told me that after driving a car for a while he could just tell where 'the notch' in the gear was, timed it, and nailed it in gear on every shift, but he said it took him 30+ years driving stick, and even he was doing it on a 1979 toyota corolla, he'd never do it on a good car
Old 04-21-2008 | 07:12 PM
invazn

i would rather use a tiny bit more effort for peace of mind.
Old 04-21-2008 | 07:13 PM
mikez97

Old 04-21-2008 | 08:00 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Motero
It's amazing how many people jump the bandwagon without even knowing how the transmission works...
I'm on the bandwagon and I'd be willing to bet I know just as much (and most likely alot more) than you in regards to how a transmission works.

Regardless of how smooth your shift feels, it's a very good chance ur a little off (even though you don't feel it). Why don't you feel it? Because the synchros are correcting your mistakes. This causes premature wear on them. You wrote earlier than replacing synchros costs the same as replacing the clutch... Wrong.

You learned a cool trick and now want to come on this forum and have peeps throw compliments your way and are now upset that isn't happening.
Old 04-21-2008 | 08:06 PM
Motero
Banned

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
I'm on the bandwagon and I'd be willing to bet I know just as much (and most likely alot more) than you in regards to how a transmission works.

Regardless of how smooth your shift feels, it's a very good chance ur a little off (even though you don't feel it). Why don't you feel it? Because the synchros are correcting your mistakes. This causes premature wear on them. You wrote earlier than replacing synchros costs the same as replacing the clutch... Wrong.

You learned a cool trick and now want to come on this forum and have peeps throw compliments your way and are now upset that isn't happening.
I never came here for compliments. If you Re-read my OP, i asked if it caused premature wear. Many people have answered the question, so this thread is pointless..

Thats what i wanted to hear. The synchros still get damaged even though i dont hear nor feel it.
Old 04-21-2008 | 08:37 PM
Giant655

Well regular shifting hurts the synchros in theses trannies as well, at least in the earlier models ( 3rd-5th gear grind etc...) . Even though it can be done, I dont think it is a good idea. kind of like proving how well the airbag works y'know lol.
Old 04-21-2008 | 08:47 PM
Marino Z
Know it all
Premier Member

serious? why risking the car to do this?

Quick Reply: Not using cluth in 6mt