Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

And this is why I usually never use automatic car washes

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:16 PM
norapat01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, dude sorry to see it happened. WTF is that damn brush made of?
Old 04-26-2008, 08:53 PM
billp

I run autocareforum.com which is a forum for the car wash industry. The wash that you went to isn't very smart, they should have a 30x microscope thing that you can really see into the scratch. If there is any rust in it, you can really see it, they show it to you right thern & there, so you both are aware that it is an old scratch. Usually the machine won't scratch a car, if it did, you wouldn't have any customers, sometimes things do happen, but for your own info, check to see if you can see any rust in the scratch, I doubt that you have missed it, but that is something that you can tell the owner when you talk to him. If you watch the wash cycle, you should be able to see when it touched the car and caused the scratch. There might have been something caught in the "brush" that caused it, the attendant, should have also, looked for that.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:09 PM
CaliTouring

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sorry man but that looks like someone keyed the **** out of it. i dont see how the machine could have cause a wave like that in the paint.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Swimminggerman

Wow thats bad. The first pic I saw looked like a minor scratch and I though, that could be buffed out, but the later pics show how deep it really is, plus you cant buff out if there's no paint to buff. Sorry to see this.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:54 AM
350zanti-drug

dam that does suck but ive always washed my car by hand its the best plus save urself some money these bastards in miami could care less about if ur car gets scratched
Old 04-27-2008, 01:27 PM
joshuaadude

damn dude, that sucks. now i know to never to go an automatic car wash. i hope you get things worked out man.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:47 PM
damnjoel

i assumed someone keyed my car but after seeing your freeking large photos, im now wondering if my car wash did this cause they look almost identical. i dont see how but sometimes freek things happen. my usual car wash uses the strips of fabric.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is sh*tty dude...
Old 04-27-2008, 04:38 PM
bloodwings19

Originally Posted by CaliTouring
im sorry man but that looks like someone keyed the **** out of it. i dont see how the machine could have cause a wave like that in the paint.

-1. I traded a VW GTi for the Z which was 4 years ago, it was keyed from front fender to rear fender and the keyed line is fine, not bubbily peeled, or flaky peeled. My truck that I drive sometimes to work is also keyed and it isn't like the picture of the Zs. I got keyed from parking at a football game and the truck I bought it from my friend was keyed already, so the only enemy I have is me. From my experience, the car wash is the culprit.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:53 PM
HitLines

That scratch looks more like a key than a fabric scratch but it sounds like bloodwings knows more than me.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:24 PM
SA Z-boi

you should have went inside the car wash and looked for you paint chips on the ground and snapped some photos. Thats alot of paint missing from the door, This happened when I drove my f250 in on but it completely dented the cornor of my hood, I had proof though becuase the blue fibers from the brushes was jammed under the hood and could not be pulled out.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:38 PM
MATTY_T

Originally Posted by SA Z-boi
you should have went inside the car wash and looked for you paint chips on the ground and snapped some photos. Thats alot of paint missing from the door, This happened when I drove my f250 in on but it completely dented the cornor of my hood, I had proof though becuase the blue fibers from the brushes was jammed under the hood and could not be pulled out.
****, wish i woulda thought of that... too late for it now. I have called the owner three times no, still no response. The supervisor told me that he is out on the weekends but checks his voicemail... but still no response. If he doesnt call me tomorrow while Im at work Im just going to stop by there and hope he is working.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:00 PM
MATTY_T

Originally Posted by joshuaadude
damn dude, that sucks. now i know to never to go an automatic car wash. i hope you get things worked out man.
Glad to hear that you will never go to an automatic car wash... Im probably just gonna wash the car in the driveway from now on. I hope people will take my shitty situation and help prevent them from having this happen to their Z/G...
Old 04-27-2008, 06:21 PM
phenom85Z

I scratched two rims going through one within the first month I had it.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Sickboy101

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Their is no point getting on this guy for going through the car wash. He already feels bad enough and will never enter one of those scratch machines again. I cringe when I see people who use those foaming brushes on their cars in those self serve car wash bays. I would spend your time looking for a good body shop that can match your paint. Be prepared to spend a few extra bucks for some good quality work. Even if you can get the owner of the car wash shop to pony up 50% of your repair costs then you are better position than you are today.

Hope you get your ride back to looking it's very best... keep us posted.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:31 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

touchless FTW!
Old 04-27-2008, 11:54 PM
gbrockwell

Damn Sorry dude I would freak if that would happen to my car and I dont do that ever.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:27 AM
07rdsterGT

I might cut off a finger before I would ever take my ride to a Autowash (unless it's touchless, but those don't really clean anything). I wouldn't even take my 1995 N/A 3000gt through a autowash.

Handwash FTW
Old 04-28-2008, 09:22 AM
Master Shake

Sorry to hear about your car wash issue. It doesn't sound like the owner is too interested in getting back to you, and if he does, unfortunately he will probably only point out the "not responsible" signs.

For everyone who is recommending a touchless wash -- are you referring to the small building with the automated/robotic wash arm, that is usually associated with gas stations? If so, what do you do about drying your car afterwards? Obviously, the blower doesn't get the car completely dry. If you drive home with a (somewhat) wet car, do you not end up with water spots?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 AM
WhiteNoiz

my biggest fear with these types of car washes is that someone will vandalize the spinning brushes. Imagine if someone put a nail through one... call me paraniod...

Quick Reply: And this is why I usually never use automatic car washes