2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

From God's mouth...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2002, 11:08 AM
brackethead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From God's mouth...

Hey,

Thanks to my 350Z Pre-Order Survey web site, I've made contact with the Nissan NA Product PR manager in Carson, CA (NNA hq). JUST got an email from him, a response to some questions I had. His whole response is below.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Steve Fisher
> Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 8:06 PM
> To: xxxxxxx
> Subject: 350Z questions
>
> Hi xxx,
>
> I spoke to you last month about my 350Z survey web site (
> www.brackethead.com/350zsurvey). I just wanted to touch base
> with you and ask a few questions.
>
> You were going to (or already did?) put me on your media distribution
> list. I think you mentioned you'd send a 350Z media packet. I haven't
> received anything, so I was wondering if I should be expecting that
> packet or anything else to arrive.
>
> Also, you said there might be a chance I could get access to the car
> before the release date. Is that still a possibility? Is there any
> more news along those lines you can share?
>
> Some people active in the forums online saw a silver 350Z at your
> headquarters last week and posted some nice pictures. We're assuming
> that was a production version? Also have heard rumors about some other
> colors showing up in Carson this coming Monday, Memorial Day. Any
> insight on that?
>
> And one more: do you know when the official HP, torque, etc. stats
> will be announced?

PR manager's reply

I'm still working on the press kit. You'll get yours in the first mailing
-- I don't have an exact date yet. Expect mid/late June.

Yes, we have both reds, both silvers, blue (my favorite), white & black Z's in town for photography purposes. They are pre-production units.

Still working on the schedule to see about getting a few people into cars early for a SHORT test drive. I'm not confident I can make it work logistically, but I have not given up.

Final specs will be announced "soon". We want the people who have deposits in place to be the first to know.
So, kind of informative, right? I will probably follow up with him. If you have any other questions you want me to ask, post 'em and I'll see what I can do!

Last edited by brackethead; 05-23-2002 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2002, 02:38 PM
350zhawaii

Unhappy

You see as I go through all the threads for new info...but to my dismay. Since, I'm from Hawaii we don't get what everyone else on the mainland would get. There's no confirmation letters being sent to people in Hawaii. We are considered different from all others. Sadden by this, but I hope everyone else would keep me up with the news. All I know is that I'm recieving my Z in Aug. 15 and Aug 12 with be the test drive for all that ordered the Z in Hawaii (40 of us) not all on the same island. Anyways, thanks all for posting pics and news for those who aren't able to go and see the Z.

Much Thanks
Old 05-23-2002, 02:56 PM
TCL

Great work Steve. I like his comment about the Daytona Blue for obvious reasons.
Old 05-23-2002, 06:03 PM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default great post!

Steve, this is the most interesting post I've seen since the nissan car show pics. Very well done, and thanks for sharing! Its interesting to hear that they have produced other colors (I'm looking forward to seeing those pics, eventhough my Z is KYO)

A question- would you fly all the way out to Los Angeles if that guy offered you a test drive? I probably would!

Ethan
Old 05-23-2002, 07:27 PM
LowFuel

Heh, well I guess this means that Scafremon and I dont need to go try and snap picks of them coming in on the ship monday, sounds like they are already here!
Old 05-23-2002, 08:11 PM
dvlad

I don't understand why he won't give us performance specs?

"Final specs will be announced "soon". We want the people who have deposits in place to be the first to know."

What does this mean? Aren't we the ones who have the deposits???? I guess even GOD doesn't know what the figures are
Old 05-23-2002, 08:52 PM
BrianZ

Default Re: great post!

Originally posted by ethan84ae
Steve, this is the most interesting post I've seen since the nissan car show pics. Very well done, and thanks for sharing! Its interesting to hear that they have produced other colors (I'm looking forward to seeing those pics, eventhough my Z is KYO)

A question- would you fly all the way out to Los Angeles if that guy offered you a test drive? I probably would!

Ethan
Steve,

If for some reason you can't make it here to L.A. for the test drive, I'll pinch-hit for ya and take her through her paces.

Just let me know.
Old 05-24-2002, 01:33 AM
brackethead

Thanks, BrianZ! Believe me, if I get the chance I'll do everything in my power to make it, even if I have to fly to Japan!

When I get the press kit I'll scan and post anything that's interesting, provided it won't rub NNA the wrong way. That way everyone can have access to it.

FYI, this guy also said new pics of the different color cars will be posted on nissandriven.com "very soon."
Old 05-24-2002, 07:10 AM
BrianZ

Boy, some updated pic's would be great!

So far it seems like NNA is fairly open to the 'net as an advertising medium, so I don't suppose they'll get too bent out of shape by scanning & posting.

It seems like car companies are more moderate, unlike them media companies that slap down all the Buffy-the-vampire-slayer Web sites....

Old 05-24-2002, 08:39 AM
articfury
Charter Member #55

"Yes, we have both reds, both silvers, blue (my favorite), white & black Z's in town for photography purposes. They are pre-production units."

Anyone else notice something strange about this reply? Pre-production? Steve mentioned the pics of the one at Nissan HQ and asked the production and other car questions. In response, PR Guy says they have all the colors (-LMO) and they are all pre-production. So, does that mean that the one at the HQ was a late pre-production model? i.e. very very close, but not final production level? Just wondering....

JD
Old 05-24-2002, 09:22 AM
BrianZ

I would assume by "pre-production" he means they didn't roll off the normal assembly-line. I don't think he means it in the sense that they are significantly materially different than the production version.
Old 05-24-2002, 09:40 AM
articfury
Charter Member #55

BrianZ-

I would tend to agree with you. The only thing is, pre-production is what they called the show cars, as well. Now depending on what chain of thought you believe, they are supposed to start production soon. Which would mean the parts would have to be pretty well set.

JD
Old 05-24-2002, 10:30 AM
rouxeny

I'm back home in LA. Is there really going to be something going on at Nissan in Carson on Monday? I drove by today on the 91 on my way back from Vegas.

I'm more than willing to head back on Monday if they'll have the car out.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:43 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: From God's mouth...

Originally posted by brackethead
Hey,

Thanks to my 350Z Pre-Order Survey web site, I've made contact with the Nissan NA Product PR manager in Carson, CA (NNA hq). JUST got an email from him, a response to some questions I had. His whole response is below.

So, kind of informative, right? I will probably follow up with him. If you have any other questions you want me to ask, post 'em and I'll see what I can do!
Good going Steve!

A PR Manager as a contact is awesome!

I don't know about everyone else, but I think we are real close to the time when we start getting lots of new info. Pictures...specs... it will be information overload compared to what we have had previously.

Can't wait!
Old 05-24-2002, 03:19 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Rouxeny, won't you be cuttin' on Monday? Just cause it's Memorial Day doesn't mean people have the decency to hold off on their acute appy attack
Old 05-25-2002, 01:14 AM
BrianZ

Originally posted by articfury
BrianZ-

I would tend to agree with you. The only thing is, pre-production is what they called the show cars, as well. Now depending on what chain of thought you believe, they are supposed to start production soon. Which would mean the parts would have to be pretty well set.

JD
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I haven't seen the LHD drive "pre-production" model, the RHD Japanese version they showed at the L.A. auto show was basically glued together with stuff from hardware stores and hobby shops. these other "pre-production" models show none of that. They look exactly like production vehicles. And since people are driving them around the streets of California and Arizona, I can only surmise that they are like production models, but probably hand-built.

$0.02