Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why all the crashes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 05:39 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The above post sounds like a pile of BS....

Hmmmmm.......

"I currently own several late model porsche models and none of the porsche forums are attracting the number of accidents that the Z forums appear to. Thus, I hesitate in attributing the damage rate to high horsepower, or the performace of the car.

Former ADS Model of the Year
Current Ms. Cocopah USA
6 time National Ms. X-Acto
Runner up- 2001 Active Adult Star of the year.

2003 Touring, Z, with Navigation and all other options.
"I'll take the scrubs, throw em this way"

Fascinating. Prove it.... Samantha.... I am certain you will.

Old 07-13-2003, 05:42 AM
jckolnturn

I smell troll, how many people jump online to say they didn't have an accident
Old 07-13-2003, 06:12 AM
rouxeny

Hmm, troll or no troll, post some pics!

Keep in mind the average late model Porsche owner is probably a fair bit older than the average 350Z owner and is probably a little more careful with his $70,000 (or more) car than a 18 year old is with his $30,000 one (not a dis to the 18 year olds out there).
Old 07-13-2003, 06:44 AM
syf0n

Samantha,

My take on what you're saying is that Porsche offers cars of a different standard. Because they are more expensive, and out of reach for most people, you are less likely to see them wrecked.

I am confident that if you compare (ratio) the number of Porsche's sold per year to the number wrecked, it would be similar to the same ratio applied to the 350Z. Sure, there are all sorts of wild factors that could be called in to play, like wrecks on the track, etc...but on the whole, I think less Porsche cars are wrecked simply because there are less of them on the road. The only other thing I can come up with is that Porsche also appeals to a more refined, sensible, and experienced driver who understands the value of what he is putting down money on, and is therefore not as likely to to some reckless with it. There are a lot more kids like myself with Z cars than with Porsche cars (although I have been lucky enough to have both).

You are right though, people almost never post wreck stories on forums like rennlist.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:47 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Can we at least see the PINK custom carbon inserts?

If there really is a disproportionate number of Z wrecks, it most likely has to do with the fact that so many kids are getting this car as a gift from dad and mom or are buying it themselves. How many times has a new owner come on here and said that this is their first "stick" (i.e. manual) car?

Younger owners don't realize that their cars (and they themselves) are not indestructable and probably ride their Z's a lot harder than a Porche owner who is more than likely a lot older, has much more driving experience (especially with a manual transmission) and who understands the value of $ much better than a kid.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Gunnar

350Z = (My) Poor Mans Porsche. I treat my car as it was a Porsche. The dude acroos the street must think I'm nutz. Every morning (whether I drive it or not) I am out there wiping brake dust off rims and wiping it down with a California Duster. I wash it every week whether it needs it or not. Whether I drive it or not. It's been in the rain once. So I take care of it like it was a Porsche or even a Ferrari. Like Sam said "accidents" happen"some unavoidable and some avoidable. Just be safe and pay attention and don't race everything in sight.

ADS = ???? just curious
Old 07-13-2003, 01:31 PM
350zdanny

I can't understand why there are that many crashes either. Does anyone know the average Z owner age? From what I gathered, I thought it was around mid 20's or higher.

I think the car is a breeze to drive both slow and fast. It's very predictable.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:42 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto what Bonzer says.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:05 PM
350zroadster

Plus many use this car as a daily driver, many have logged over 15K mile over the past year. Thus spending time out on the road and getting into possible accidents.

Also depends on the location where the cars are sold. If the car appeals to certain demographic and that demographic happens to live in parts of country that have higher car accidents, naturally more accidents will be associate with the Z.

Of course other car factors might come into play such as poor visibility or loss of control. Guess to find out we just have to wait and see as more car-miles are logged.

Well in any case, welcome to my350Z forum and hope you stay.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:19 PM
DavidD

Smile Hello, NissanMonitor

You must be a joke. What are you talking about? I can’t hold back any longer. All these Z crashes. It is easy to explain. A very fast and affordable car. When the Shelby AC Cobra was introduced in the 60’s half were totaled in the first month. And that was a very expensive car so adults older than 28 where crashing them.

And then you stated it hurts our insurance claim. You live in Japan so what does that have to do with US insurance?

Then you talk about being old at 28. Get real.

Then you say that you own all these Porsches at age 28. Get real

Former ADS Model of the Year
Current Ms. Cocopah USA
6 time National Ms. X-Acto
Runner up- 2001 Active Adult Star of the year.

What is all of this?

People on this web site are real and have jobs and work for a living. And many are over 28, you know, the old people. And most have never owned all these expensive cars that must come so easy to you.

And then you send this.

Some of you guys are real class acts. By the way, using the "net lingo" trool, means you spend way to much time on here. Get a life, "kid.I'll send the pictures to your mom, maybe when you are old enough she will show them to you. For those that didnt respond with punk attitudes, thanks very much.
xoxoxox,
Samantha

Excuse me but what is a punk attitude?

I am older than you. And I have used this website to gain a lot of useful information. I filter out what an adult (I), think is; one appropriate, or two, BS. And then I make my own decision. But I don’t insult other people. In the US you have the right to the first amendment, freedom of speech. And that is OK. But on a Z owners website I fall back on:

“If don’t have anything nice to say than don’t say anything at all.”

That does not mean question or even argue but it does mean to do it on a mature level.

So NissanMonitor, who is being immature?
Old 07-13-2003, 04:20 PM
whitetrack

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anyone take into consideration that those Porsche owners probably don't comment about accidents on their site? It might make them look like bad drivers. Most, but not all, Porsche drives have an additude about their driving skills.

I think a more scientific method of determining accident ratios is needed instead of how many crashes are posted on a given forum.

Just thought I'd add another perspective to the views being posted.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:38 PM
EDIEZZ

It would be interesting to see how many accidents occur with Suby WRX's or Acura RSX's. I tend to think they will compare to the younger Z drivers who may be more likely to drive with more abandon. I would bet the older Z drivers (35 +) will compare to the Porsche drivers.
Old 07-13-2003, 04:46 PM
jinxxycat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Dr. Bonz--

I had quite a record of smashing them up when I was a young driver. Wrecked my mom's truck 3 times, totaled a Nissan Pulsar, wrecked my CRX twice. Thank god I was never hurt, but with age comes wisdom, and with wisdom comes the knowlegde that we are not, as humans, indestructable. We also learn the value of a dollar once we start paying our insurance ourselves, and learn that it pays to be a safe driver. Doesn't mean we can't have fun, but stay within the boundaries of safety, for you AND your car.

Samantha, I just pm'd you, check it out. LOL
Old 07-13-2003, 04:59 PM
topdaytrader

LOL~
Old 07-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by EDIEZZ
It would be interesting to see how many accidents occur with Suby WRX's or Acura RSX's. I tend to think they will compare to the younger Z drivers who may be more likely to drive with more abandon. I would bet the older Z drivers (35 +) will compare to the Porsche drivers.
I would agree with your analysis, there are quite a few of us older drivers of the 350 that also owned the original 240Z. Mine was a used 1972 that I drove all over my state in my business role as a company car. I was the Planning Coordinator for a large State agency for 23 years and drove my own car because I serviced it and knew its strengths and weaknesses. I aso drove my 91 MR2 Turbo for 7 yrs and 128,000 miles as a company car.

Something may interest you, Nissan Monitor, a member of this forum named brackethead compiled a fascinating survey about all of the demographics of a sample of the members who own a 350Z; age, sex, models, colors, etc. It makes for fascinating reading if you are who you say you are and do wish to learn more about our little forum. At last count, our oldest member was 67 and some of our membership is not old enough to drive, but are rabid fans none-the-less. I just turned 59, having driven sports cars since my first new car ever purchased, a Triumph TR4, BRG, with roll up windows, a first for the marque.

Never underestimate the members of a car forum representing over 14,000 members and all age cohorts, those that can read and talk, Samantha, you may be surprised and/or delighted with the results.

Boomer
Old 07-13-2003, 06:47 PM
zuffy

First time drivers of a sports car driving a car that has significant understeer into corners and will oversteer if you go nuts on the pedal.... are you surprised?

WRXs here is Australia are also commonly crashed by young inexperienced drivers.

I think a few too many people who buy the 350z think it'll handle like a train on tracks. Probably because they believe movies like Fast and furious...LOL
Old 07-13-2003, 08:39 PM
zeroday

If moderators would compare IP adresses/IP ranges of two users posting in this thread; topdaytrader and nissanmonitor...i'm pretty sure you will find they are one in the same user.

Last edited by zeroday; 07-13-2003 at 08:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Why all the crashes?